Fix 2nd gear, sell as is, or part out?

Thread: Fix 2nd gear, sell as is, or part out?

Default Fix 2nd gear, sell as is, or part out?

EDIT: Selling as is $2000

2007 M109 with considerable aftermarket parts. Runs great! I love this bike! However, I've got the infamous second gear issue, and it's only gotten worse. It pops into neutral under acceleration, and who the hell doesn't hit second hard on a M109 lol.

Advice needed. If this was your bike, would you pay thousands of $'s to fix 2nd gear, sell as is at a loss, or try to part it out?

Technically, I can adjust the money from my mandatory "motorcycle fund" to fix it lol, but it's hard to justify on a bike that's worth say $4K. Especially when that money could go toward a gen 2 VMAX

P.S. I've searched all the threads, this isn't a hard shifting issue, or shift star issue (I don't think). No matter how hard I jam it into second, it WILL pop into neutral under load)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15799905_937276753039637_8415465449681943372_o.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	386458  
    Last edited by mlrman; 01-23-2020 at 10:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlrman View Post
    2007 M109 with considerable aftermarket parts. Runs great! I love this bike! However, I've got the infamous second gear issue, and it's only gotten worse. It pops into neutral under acceleration, and who the hell doesn't hit second hard on a M109 lol.

Advice needed. If this was your bike, would you pay thousands of $'s to fix 2nd gear, sell as is at a loss, or try to part it out?

Technically, I can adjust the money from my mandatory "motorcycle fund" to fix it lol, but it's hard to justify on a bike that's worth say $4K. Especially when that money could go toward a gen 2 VMAX

P.S. I've searched all the threads, this isn't a hard shifting issue, or shift star issue (I don't think). No matter how hard I jam it into second, it WILL pop into neutral under load)
    If you back cut the gears it's likely to be a forever fix and the bike will be good to go.

I can tell you that parting the bike out is a full time job and not worth the hassle.
    You will spend all of your time answering a million questions, getting shipping quotes, boxing stuff up and running back and forth to the post office and UPS store.
    After you have done all that, there will still be a few a$$ hats who will change their mind last minute, decide they really don't want the parts and never send the money.
    So just a heads up.....it's a PITA to deal with parting the bike out.

You can probably make more money parting the bike out than selling it out right, but if you include your time & labor and the hassle & headaches that go along with it, all the profit seems to get lost rather quickly.
    And of course you never end up selling it all and once the bike is disassembled you have parts laying all over your garage that have not sold.

If you have time, patients and the extra room to store the parts after you dissemble the bike then go for it, but if you are missing one of these three things, I would advise against parting out.

Just my $.02 from past experience.

BCS

Very Active Member

BCS pretty much summed it up perfectly. Been there done that with parting out a Modified Busa I had. It was a PITA

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

As much love as I have for the M109 (owned 4, and will probably own another), I say keep saving your money and get that 2nd generation Vmax. You will never look at riding a bike the same again. How do I know, well let's just say I am a convert
    Name:  IMG_20181126_142955029.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  110.6 KB

What’s the milage on the bike ? Tough call..same year here,60K miles..if mine goes,I’ll move on and sell of the good stuff..

it is a pain,I’ve seen guys take years trying to part everything out..sell the good/in demand parts and scrap the rest
    Stav

Default Replace the gear?

I have a 2007. No gear problem. I enjoy taking things apart. I have always thought that if my 2nd gear goes bad, that I'd dissemble the bike until I could remove the gear and then put it back the way I found it. Probably easier said than done. I'm not too helpful. Maybe there is a high school shop class would give it a try for the experience. You are probably right about not spending a lot of money to fix a $4000 bike. My 2 cents.

If the only issue you have with your 2007 M109R is the 2nd Gear issue. It’s a “no-brained” that it would be best and more cost-effective to have the 2nd Gear issue fixed. You’re never going to find a 2 Gen. VMAX at the same or a lower cost than fixing your own current bike. My suggestion would be to contact Matt Guthrie aka FuturR and work out a plan to get your bike to him and allow him to repair your gear issue. He has done this a number of times for many members of this Forum. As well, parting out your bike will most likely be a severe pain in the butt that you’ll definitely regret. I recommend fixing your M109R and continue enjoying it without forking out even more money for a replacement bike.

Plus, the M109R is leaps and bounds more appealing to the eye than the VMAX...in my honest opinion.

Personally if my bike ever loses 2nd gear and the warranty is up, I would fix it myself and continue riding.... but not everyone has the time, tools or ability to take on such a big repair

Thanks for the input guys. The M109 is sexy, but man I'd have a tough time putting $4k into getting back to where it was before the second gear issue. 25,000 miles, and it's clean.

However, I'd almost rather sell if for whatever I can get as is and buy that MAX! They are faster than 109's by the way. I know firsthand, and I wasn't happy about it lol.

I tend to agree, I don't want to mess with parting it out. I'm not rich by any means, but my time is worth money to me, and I don't want to attempt to fix it myself. I "could" remove the engine, but there again, is it worth it? Sad.

Besides, I've got a turbo drag bike that will need my attention come spring

If you are dead set on the V-Max then you probably don't want to mess around with repairing your bike. But you could buy another $4000 Nine and keep yours for parts. I've always like the V-Max, but it just doesn't fit me like the Nine.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlrman View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The M109 is sexy, but man I'd have a tough time putting $4k into getting back to where it was before the second gear issue. 25,000 miles, and it's clean.

However, I'd almost rather sell if for whatever I can get as is and buy that MAX! They are faster than 109's by the way. I know firsthand, and I wasn't happy about it lol.

I tend to agree, I don't want to mess with parting it out. I'm not rich by any means, but my time is worth money to me, and I don't want to attempt to fix it myself. I "could" remove the engine, but there again, is it worth it? Sad.

Besides, I've got a turbo drag bike that will need my attention come spring
    I think you will be very happy with the Vmax. It is a better bike in every way except for the looks department. Keep in touch and let us know what you get. I will be excited to know, even if no one else is. I love my vmax, and would never give it up for another 9. I might add another 9 to the stable, but the max isn't going anywhere. You will have a lot of especially older guys asking about the bike, and telling you how quick it was back in the day with 145 hp (1985-2006). But the look on their face will be priceless when you tell them that it now has 197hp, and yes, it can corner and stop (2 things the previous generation did not do well) Good luck shopping.

Default Trade it

You wont sell it with the problem A bike dealer is the best option as he can repair the broken shift fork and enlarge the holes in the oil jet that lubes the gear cogs within his shop. Or do the repair yourself for 3-400 in parts Or diminish the labour costs by removing the motor and then taking to someone who is recommended on this forum for the repair Then sell it for a good price to someone knowing that will give many miles of pleasure to the next owner. The labour once the motor is on the bench should take between 6-7hours plus 3-400 in parts Bite the bullet and pull the motor out Plenty of reasonable vids on youtube to assist Here is a link showing what is done once the motor is on the bench Hope this helps your decision D https://youtu.be/n4vjN3UllWo

Wish you lived closer to me i had just fix the issue prolly take and hour to do wouldnt cost ya nada except for the parts
    2007 M109R Avon heated grips sumoX fat tire kit sumoX custom paint dual K&N ram chargers kuraquian zombi pedals hydraulic clutch lever,demon eye head light,cobra dragster exhaust and programmer . People honking and giving thumbs up priceless

Default For sale

I appreciate the input guys. It's not worth it to me.

Would anyone be willing to give me $2000 for the bike as it sits? I've been riding it on long trips for a couple years now, just getting into third as quick as possible. I'd love to see it go to a member here and get the treatment it deserves. I can provide full write up with history and mods.

I may possibly be interested. Can you use second at all? Meaning, if you arent jamming on it, daily esy town riding, does it work ok? Guess i could follow suit and skip to 3 as well justy curious.

2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

Quote Originally Posted by Viper109R View Post
    I may possibly be interested. Can you use second at all? Meaning, if you arent jamming on it, daily esy town riding, does it work ok? Guess i could follow suit and skip to 3 as well justy curious.
    Yes, 2nd still works. We had a warm day a few weeks ago and my buddy wanted to ride it because he wasn't familiar with the 109. He came back with a grin on his face lol, and said he loved it. I asked him if 2nd skipped or popped out on him and he said not at all. But he just cruised it. I don't "cruise" any of my motorcycles lol. So yes, it runs through all the gears just fine. However, not if, but WHEN you hammer it in 2nd, it will pop into neutral. It used to just "skip" a little. Holding the shifter up with your foot helps keep it in gear. I like to ride hard, so I've just been rapping it out in first, going straight to third, and with the torque the 109 produces, it still runs out pretty fast.

check your sale thread :)

2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

Still for sale, if anyone is interested. It would make a great ride for someone willing to have the repair done