Clutch shutter/ judder when pulling off from a stop

Thread: Clutch shutter/ judder when pulling off from a stop

Default Clutch shutter/ judder when pulling off from a stop

Hey guys, I have a problem with my 08 limited edition m109r, it’s like a clutch judder/shutter/

https://youtu.be/mZxJtMBJZfE

Does someone know how I can fix this exact problem on my 08 limited edition m109r?
    Would really appreciate it!

Also when I pull off and going from 1st to 2nd gear and if I do it on high revs, It kicks real hard
    Someone know what is it?

Sorry I’m new with these bikes
    I’m 21 and just got this bike bc I love them and I just wanna make sure I won’t mess it up

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum and the bike!

For the clutch issue, research Pin Mod for M109. It happens to many bikes prior to 2010.
    The type of oil you're running in the engine will also have an effect on this.
    I know the bike is new to you, but might you know what oil is in the engine?

The 1-2 shift on the 9 is pretty infamous for being one that you need to shift it like you mean it.
    Usually there will be a big clunk when it goes into second...really all you can do is minimize the clunk.
    For my particular bike (2008 M109R2) I find if I shift below 3000RPM (around 2500RPM) the 1-2 shift is fairly smoothly...and I say fairly as the clunk is still there, but minimal.
    I do notice if I shift at high RPM the clunk is pretty rough...so I just don't.
    It's a little PITA when you're making a turn from a stop as usually you use the entire 1st gear for the turn and when you're straight again you're well over 3000RPM...but I just clutch in and let the revs drop for a couple secs then shift.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

When I first for my 9 it did the same. I did the pin mod and it helped but in the end I replaced the clutch fibers with EBC ($100) and it's been fine ever since.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have both a 2006 and 2013 Nines. The 2013 shifts very nicely in all gears except between 1st and 2nd. The 2006 is the worst shifting bike I've ever owned and it shifts terribly from 1st to 2nd. Shifting at lower RPMs seems to help. Also wearing a stiff shoe (boot) helps. I have most difficulty when wearing sneakers.

I have both a 2006 and 2013 Nines. The 2013 shifts very nicely in all gears except between 1st and 2nd. The 2006 is the worst shifting bike I've ever owned and it shifts terribly from 1st to 2nd. Shifting at lower RPMs seems to helps. Also wearing a stiff shoe (boot) help. I have most difficulty when wearing sneakers.

Very Active Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Assassn98 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a problem with my 08 limited edition m109r, it’s like a clutch judder/shutter/

https://youtu.be/mZxJtMBJZfE

Does someone know how I can fix this exact problem on my 08 limited edition m109r?
    Would really appreciate it!

Also when I pull off and going from 1st to 2nd gear and if I do it on high revs, It kicks real hard
    Someone know what is it?

Sorry I’m new with these bikes
    I’m 21 and just got this bike bc I love them and I just wanna make sure I won’t mess it up

Hi, congrats on getting a 9. I have an 08 C109RT and can tell you the clutch /shifting was my first disappointment. Something I discovered when I disassembled the clutch was that it may not get enough lubrication so I (strategically so not to weaken it) added extra oil holes to the clutch basket so that the clutch plates received extra oil. This helped. If I was going to disassemble again, I would go with an aftermarket replacement of the clutch plates. Probably EBC as someone else suggested. In regards to the 1st to 2nd shift, I found that just using 1st gear to get the bike moving and shifting to 2nd as soon as possible makes life easier. The 1st to 2nd gear ratio seems just too tight. Once you're in 2nd , you can let her rip. Power shifting under high RPM from 1st to 2nd just isn't something you want to do unless you want to grind gears and miss 2nd.

Depending on how many miles are on this bike, you may want to consider a clutch upgrade as well as replacement of the motor mounts if it hasn't been done. Worn mounts have contributed to the engine moving about and affecting alignment of things. Search this forum for all of these issues.
    Enjoy the ride the 9 is a great cruiser.
    Bob
    2008 Blue/White C109RT waiting for the aftermarket to catch up....

I had the same issue with clutch shudder on my 07. It was a real pain in the ass! I tried different oils, clutch adjustment, etc.

Here's the fix: upgrade the clutch pack to a 2012 or newer 6 disk pack and springs. There's a tutorial here that explains the procedure and lists needed part numbers (thank you to that poster!). I followed it to the T, and no more clutch shudder. Smoother shifts too. It's not that hard to do yourself, but make SURE you follow the correct procedure of clutch adjustment. That all starts at the clutch hub. Good luck

This is a design flaw. The 6 plate clutch and basket seems to be the fix but it’s expensive. Note Suzuki has not done anything to the push pin and a mod there takes oil away from the top of the engine so you’d need to be careful if u go that route.

Change oil to a semi synthetic. See if that helps. Next step is to change just the clutch plates and wave washer and drive plate

Yes, they don’t shift well. A shift star helps with first to second. For the best shifts preload the gearshift and shift very quickly with minimum clutch

I love my bike but would be even better if it shifted well.

If it has an aftermarket exhaust make sure it has a tuner, exhaust servo eliminator (Fi light) and the pair valves have been blocked off