M109 Rider Forums banner

PLEASE help: m109 second gear issue

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  davinci 
#1 ·
I bought a 2009 M109R2, I bought it at 9k miles from a local trusted shop. I noticed when riding it first second gear was hard to get into. Ive never had any slipping (besides at really high RPMS)

at the end of the summer second gear was even harder to get into, I have to wear steel toe boots and "shift like i mean it", Its not ridden enough to need an oil change (when sold from the shop theyre changed)

Im scared that it is a "bent fork issue" ive been reading about

Bike is completely stock, my main questions are is my bike going to break completely and will I have to get it rebuilt LOL, and what maintenance I should be doing on it? Preventative maintenance included, Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate any info you have to say.

#2 ·
I bought a 2009 M109R2, I bought it at 9k miles from a local trusted shop. I noticed when riding it first second gear was hard to get into. Ive never had any slipping (besides at really high RPMS)

at the end of the summer second gear was even harder to get into, I have to wear steel toe boots and "shift like i mean it", Its not ridden enough to need an oil change (when sold from the shop theyre changed)

Im scared that it is a "bent fork issue" ive been reading about

Bike is completely stock, my main questions are is my bike going to break completely and will I have to get it rebuilt LOL, and what maintenance I should be doing on it? Preventative maintenance included, Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate any info you have to say.
Is it hard to get in and out of neutral? Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable?

#7 ·
You can audibly hear a clunk when going into first, not too bad though. I am just paranoid of something expensive breaking and everyone talking about their second gear exploding has me worried haha. I have not tried adjusting the clutch cable, I just looked up a video on it. Should I be going tighter or looser?

#3 ·
The 9 is notorious for having to shift into second gear like you mean it...without riding it, it may be hard to say if the shift is normal or not.
But as Mxboost suggested, clutch cable adjustment is definitely the first place to start.

#4 ·
My 06 got better with age. But hey, I've had it 13 years. Maybe I just got used to it. But definitely, when I jump off my B-King onto the Nine, I can still feel it. Second gear is probably the most abused gear on a motorcycle. We all like to rev it hard in first gear, then shift into second and nail it to the wall. Lots of blown second gears out there, IMHO. I've known more than one bike rider with a bike sittin around with a blown second gear. At 13 years, I still have to shift it like I mean it.

I use two methods, depending on how I'm riding it. Putt-putting around town, I slow shift it, making sure I can feel Neutral as I pass through it. Nice clean shifts, every time. Hightailing it, I preload the shifter. Both methods for second gear only. All the other gears shift normal on mine, at 36,100+ miles.

#5 ·
TY

My 06 got better with age. But hey, I've had it 13 years. Maybe I just got used to it. But definitely, when I jump off my B-King onto the Nine, I can still feel it. Second gear is probably the most abused gear on a motorcycle. We all like to rev it hard in first gear, then shift into second and nail it to the wall. Lots of blown second gears out there, IMHO. I've known more than one bike rider with a bike sittin around with a blown second gear. At 13 years, I still have to shift it like I mean it.

I use two methods, depending on how I'm riding it. Putt-putting around town, I slow shift it, making sure I can feel Neutral as I pass through it. Nice clean shifts, every time. Hightailing it, I preload the shifter. Both methods for second gear only. All the other gears shift normal on mine, at 36,100+ miles.
Thank you so much for the replys everyone, What do you mean by Preloading the shifter? Sorry for being a newb, I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can :)

also, what do you suggest for maintenance on it? I've never had anything other than a chain driven bike. I want to take care of this monster as much as I possibly can haha.

#8 ·
When going from neutral to first all bikes tend to make a sound and even jerk from time to time. Just make sure to wait a second or two after pulling in the clutch before shifting. When going from first to second the 9 is hard to shift from time to time as well. It is hard to tell without riding it to know how abnormal yours might be.

The best and really only maintenance is the oil. Mileage is not the only reason oil needs changing. I would change it at least once a year no matter the miles.

There are a number of articles about adjusting the clutch. This is definitely your first thing to check. I would take it by the shop and just see what they think if you don't feel comfortable diagnosing it. They should be able to let you know if it is normal or not without charging you anything.

#12 ·
That only happens to me at second if I don't shift it like I mean it. Once or twice a year, I suffer from lazy foot on the second shift, and it jumps out of gear. Otherwise, mine stays put and I can whip it like a rented mule as soon as it's engaged.

#15 ·
The earlier models still benefit from it. The newer models have a similar shift star in them. Someone posted a comparisons of the earlier stock, EVO shift star and the newer 9 star. Its suppose to smooth out the shift and shorten the throw. For me if it did smooth out the shift I really couldnt tell. But it did shorten the shift throw though. I still think its worth it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I have a 2009 with 34.000 miles put shift star in at 20.000 should of did it sooner,not perfect but it helped that shift to second by 60 percent. As I put more miles on it is shifting better. But starting to get the dreaded shudder 3 to 8 times in 2500 miles.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
The dreaded shutter is something to expect when owning a m109r.some get it sooner than others. There is a bunch of treads on how to get rid of it.mine happens a couple times a riding season,soon I will replace clutch plates for the newer m109r.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#22 · (Edited)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here. My 07 has the second gear issue. I followed the service manual and started at the clutch set screw, then worked my way toward the lever to insure proper clutch adjustment. M109's are known for clunky shifts from 1st to second, and they must be made with force.

That being said, mine started "skipping" under acceleration in second gear. ONLY second gear. Then, it started popping out of second gear under acceleration. Holding the shifter upwards with your foot into second gear helped, but it WILL only get worse.

The internal shift fork bends from the torque of these motors, allowing second gear to pop out. The cases must be split, shift fork replaced, and the gears back cut.

Unfortunately, as much as I love my 109, I've decided to take the loss and sell as is.

I wish you the best of luck with yours no matter what you decide to do.

#23 ·
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here. My 07 has the second gear issue. I followed the service manual and started at the clutch set screw, then worked my way toward the lever to insure proper clutch adjustment. !09's are known for clunky shifts from 1st to second, and they must be made with force.

That being said, mine started "skipping" under acceleration in second gear. ONLY second gear. Then, it started popping out of second gear under acceleration. Holding the shifter upwards with your foot into second gear helped, but it WILL only get worse.

The internal shift fork bends from the torque of these motors, allowing second gear to pop out. The cases must be split, shift fork replaced, and the gears back cut.

Unfortunately, as much as I love my 109, I've decided to take the loss and sell as is.

I wish you the best of luck with yours no matter what you decide to do.
Oh goodness, this isn't good to hear haha. I was thinking of selling mine before anything happened. What bike did you get? Did you get a different one?

#26 ·
It hasn't "popped out" of second before, just hard to shift into second. Maybe once or twice it has but I dont know if that is rider error or mechanical.

In my area they go for 8k with no issues, do I get out of this as soon as I can lol? My uncle works on bikes, but he is 10 hours away.. Thats the only way id get it repaired.

#32 ·
I bought a 2009 last summer with 17000 on it. It started jumping in 2nd like the clutch slipped, then grabbed. No it is jumping into neutral even if I hold my foot under the shift lever. Looks like a costly repair since the engine had to be dropped. Bought this from a reputable bike shop.

#33 ·
Eliminate Cable Clutch

Hydraulic Clutch will not eliminate the 2nd gear issue but will eliminate the need to adjust the cable in case it is the problem Eliminates stretch adjusting lubricating and the mighty breaking when you least expect it Then you can attend to the gearbox issue if you still have it I have an 08 with Hydraulic clutch kit and no problems other than the usual noisy change that is inherent in this configuration D'ESSE AUSTRALIA $440USD Delivered worldwide mchydraulkit@hotmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.