What Have You Done To Your 9 Lately? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Done To Your 9 Lately?

I used the VHT paint to do my snowmobile exhaust years ago. The while thing just fit inside my bbq so I used it to cure the paint. It held up well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrBarros View Post
    I must say Josey, you did a magnificent job. I could not have done it better myself. You just saved yourself tons of cash, you know what that means, more mods to come! Make sure you post pictures after the reinstallation.
    Thanks . It really came out well and I saved a lot of cash for sure .
    I enjoy working on the bike and customizing it .
    I will post pics when I am done .

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    Uodate : Cobra exhaust after painting . It came out beautiful .
    As I said previously , the entire exhaust tubing is in perfect condition , including even the clamps , as can be seen in the pics . You know , this exhaust is 7 years old … incredible !!!
    Now , to wait for the header gaskets to arrive
    I didn`t damage the old gaskets , so I cut perhaps try to use them again , but I would not want to have to take out the whole thing if there is a possible leak , so I `ll wait for the new gaskets to be sure . What the hell, it is only a week wait , lol...
    Last pic is the complete exhaust now assembled , ready to be installed back on the bike and waiting for the incoming header gaskets , so , I am almost done .
    That looks great. I am really looking forward to seeing this bike all done and back together.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

While I am waiting for the gaskets to get here , it ocurred to me to check the air filters on the hyperchargers and , man , were those filters dirty … I have the K & N filters so all I needed was to wash and re-oil them . I also have the Recharge kit for that , so I sprayed the filters with the cleaner , washed them and they are now drying up . Tomorrow I will spray the red oil and assemble back the hyperchargers to be ready to rumble .

Last edited by josey088; 05-08-2020 at 10:35 PM.

While I am waiting for the gaskets to get here , it ocurred to me to check the air filters on the hyperchargers and , man , were those filters dirty … I have the K & N filters so all I needed was to wash and re-oil them . I also have the Recharge kit for that , so I sprayed the filters with the cleaner , washed them and they are now drying up . Tomorrow I will spray the red oil and assemble back the hyperchargers to be ready to rumble .

I have K&N also, how often would you say you have to clean them?

Very Active Member

Well , depending how many miles you put on the bike and the terrain . If you ride in dirt roads , very frequently .
    I would say , at least once at year .
    Because of the straight up position of the filters , the red oil is slowly creeping down (gravity) to the base of the filter leaving the upper portion without the oil . That is an indication for checking and cleaning / re-oiling .
    My filters , I have to confess , I went out for more that a year without checking them and , man , they were dirty …!!!
    But this is not going to happen again . I will be checking them way more often for sure .

I have K&N also, how often would you say you have to clean them?
    Lots of folks approach this requirement differently. However, as a “general rule of thumb” I have always been of the mindset to clean my K&N Air Filters at least once annually, or every 5,000 miles...which ever comes first. Of course, if you’re piling up the miles on your bike each riding season, you may need to clean them every six months.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Lots of folks approach this requirement differently. However, as a “general rule of thumb” I have always been of the mindset to clean my K&N Air Filters at least once annually, or every 5,000 miles...which ever comes first. Of course, if you’re piling up the miles on your bike each riding season, you may need to clean them every six months.
    Yeap, this is just about right .

Dropped my bike off at the dealership to have Rear Lowering Links and Progressive Drop-in Springs installed. Can't wait to see how it look and ride ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200509_140928.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	388390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200509_141119.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	388392

Very Active Member

Well, since I have the bike waiting for the damn exhaust gakets to get here , I am thinking on taking the opportunity to change the oil / oil filter , to complete the whole maintenance thing . I got less than 2000 miles on the oil/oil filter since the last oil change , but it has been at least a year and half ago , so I think it is time .

Well, since I have the bike waiting for the damn exhaust gakets to get here , I am thinking on taking the opportunity to change the oil / oil filter , to complete the whole maintenance thing . I got less than 2000 miles on the oil/oil filter since the last oil change , but it has been at least a year and half ago , so I think it is time .
    Since it has been over 1.5 years since your last oil change, it would be wise to do it now. It certainly can’t/won’t hurt.

Very Active Member

Update :
    Well, all done . Taking out the old gaskets was very easy , no problems at all . Installing the new gaskets was even easier , and so it was the mounting of the whole exhaust back on . I was very careful sliding it into position with the wife holding it at the rear loosely and once it got in it was easy to tight on to the correct 16.5 lb torque . I had the precaution of putting anti-seize grease on the exhaust bolts , to prevent any rusted bolts in the future , even thou there was no rust at all on the treads , but just in case .
    I already cured the paint following 3 running engine steps , etc so the bike is now fully operational with the paint fully cured and ready to rumble .
    I am still waiting for the wireless tire air pressure kit and the wheels decals kit which are coming one from China and the other from Malaysia , so they will get here at the end of the month , hopefully .
    But in the mean time , here are some pics with the exhaust all finished :

Last edited by josey088; 05-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.

WOW, WOW, WOW Josey!!! That exhaust looks a million times better than the black ones they were sending out from the manufacturer. Bro, YOU DID THAT!!! It looks absolutely AMAZING!!!😁👍🏆🏆🏆

Did you use a Satin Black? It has the perfect finish for a black exhaust.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    WOW, WOW, WOW Josey!!! That exhaust looks a million times better than the black ones they were sending out from the manufacturer. Bro, YOU DID THAT!!! It looks absolutely AMAZING!!!

Did you use a Satin Black? It has the perfect finish for a black exhaust.
    Yes, VHT Black Satin Brake Caliper paint , 500 degrees .
    I have to confess that this thing came out better than when new . When new, the factory paint was kind of dull and now it has that satin finish that I think is perfect for exhaust covers . I used the brake caliper paint instead of the engine paint because it has 500 degrees hold and the engine paint has only 250 degrees .

Yes, VHT Black Satin Brake Caliper paint , 500 degrees .
    I have to confess that this thing came out better than when new . When new, the factory paint was kind of dull and now it has that satin finish that I think is perfect for exhaust covers . I used the brake caliper paint instead of the engine paint because it has 500 degrees hold and the engine paint has only 250 degrees .
    That’s AWESOME-LOOKING Bro...and again, it DEFINITELY looks 10 times better than the factory finish. I’m doing something somewhat the same, but just a bit different with a Hard Krome VPR SHORT Exhaust for my 14’ LE model 9.

Very Active Member

Hey, Judah , don`t forget to post some pics when you finish with that VPR short exhaust .

Less than 20 minutes ago, I purchased a new Hard Krome (chromed) VPR SHORT Exhaust from MEANCYCLES. Keeping with the concept and style of the two-tone VPR SHORT Exhaust I have on my 08’ model 9, I’m going to leave the header pipes and the End Cap chrome, the End Cap Ring is going to remain Gloss Black, and the Exhaust Muffler is going to get media blasted, and then powder coated in High-Temp (1000 degrees) Satin Black. It’s part of the overall Gloss Black & Platinum/Chrome Contrast “with a touch of Satin Black” scheme I’m going with throughout the entire bike. I think it’s going to look CRAZY-AWESOME when it’s all finished. Just to give you a little insight to what I’m ultimately trying to accomplish, the bike is a 14’ LE model. However, instead of sticking with the factory Limited Edition look and moniker, it’s going to become a 14’ model “Lion Edition” with the “LE” taking on a totally different moniker, appeal, and concept.

Very Active Member

Thumbs up

I am sure it is going to be an awesome looking bike .
    Please, post pics after you are done .
    Last edited by josey088; 05-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.

It’s going to take a while to complete everything, but I will certainly post pics when it’s finally done.

Josey, the exhaust looks awesome dude! it looks like it was done by a professional. I would be curious to see the condition of the paint after a couple of months. Especially around the headers where it gets extremely hot. By the way take good care of the old lady, there is not too many of them that would come out to the garage and hold a muffler for you. I know many that would be afraid of breaking there fingernails. Stay safe.

Very Active Member

Josey, the exhaust looks awesome dude! it looks like it was done by a professional. I would be curious to see the condition of the paint after a couple of months. Especially around the headers where it gets extremely hot. By the way take good care of the old lady, there is not too many of them that would come out to the garage and hold a muffler for you. I know many that would be afraid of breaking there fingernails. Stay safe.
    Manny , this paint is super tough . It is a ceramic brake caliper paint , made to withstand heavy abuse , dirt and high temperatures up to 500 degrees … using it on an motorcycle exhaust covers is a walk in the park for this paint .
    This kind of paint comes on 3 different types : 1) The engine ceramic , that holds up to 250 degrees , 2) the brake caliper ceramic that holds up to 500 degrees and 3) the Flameproof ceramic for naked exhaust tubes that holds super high temperatures up to 2000 degrees but only come in Flat .
    500 degrees hold is way more than enough for the exhaust covers . It will last for years to come , but it has to be cured by heat , thou . I did that by running the engine in 10 minutes and cooling , 20 minutes and cooling , and then 30 minutes ride at normal speed so now the paint has activated all its chemical properties .
    I have used on the brake calipers on my cars previously , and believe me , this paint is super tough and will withstand years of dirt, brake dust and abuse on the brake calipers , so to use it on the exhaust covers of the bike is literally nothing to worry about it for years .
    And yes , the wife is up to the task in many occasions , lol...
    Last edited by josey088; 05-13-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Manny , this paint is super tough . It is a ceramic brake caliper paint , made to withstand heavy abuse , dirt and high temperatures up to 500 degrees … using it on an motorcycle exhaust covers is a walk in the park for this paint .
    This kind of paint comes on 3 different types : 1) The engine ceramic , that holds up to 250 degrees , 2) the brake caliper ceramic that holds up to 500 degrees and 3) the Flameproof ceramic for naked exhaust tubes that holds super high temperatures up to 2000 degrees but only come in Flat .
    500 degrees hold is way more than enough for the exhaust covers . It will last for years to come , but it has to be cured by heat , thou . I did that by running the engine in 10 minutes and cooling , 20 minutes and cooling , and then 30 minutes ride at normal speed so now the paint has activated all its chemical properties .
    I have used on the brake calipers on my cars previously , and believe me , this paint is super tough and will withstand years of dirt, brake dust and abuse on the brake calipers , so to use it on the exhaust covers of the bike is literally nothing to worry about it for years .
    And yes , the wife is up to the task in many occasions , lol...
    That is nice to know that you have confidence in that paint Josey. I am thinking about buying some scorpion tips to install on my mint condition stock exhaust and keep it as a spare. If I do that, I will definitely have to paint it black. If chrome can even be painted. Don’t get me wrong I love my Chrome VPR Short Race but I have my stock exhaust that I would hate to throw out. I would rather keep it than give it away for fifty bucks.

Default Chrome wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue9 View Post
    - Still work in progress but So far have added a Full Tune ECU Flash (Shout out to Bering_C_Sparky) Amazing job its like riding a brand new 109 without limitations and very smooth shifting.

- Spike intake

- HT Moto white ostrich skin seat with Royal Blue Stitching. not finished installing seat cover for passenger yet. Ran out of staples LOL

- Rockville Audio bluetooth handle bar speakers ( my neighbor fabricated some riser brackets so the speakers blend in more with the bike other than sitting up high on the handle bars.) only wish they came in chrome but that's ok. The speakers get really loud. I can here them clearly up to about 75mph

- Elite 3 250 rear tire

-- Still looking for a decent price on Chrome Wheels Stock or Aftermarket. If anyone has links or knows anyone selling.

Attachment 387176Attachment 387178
    Simmons motorworks has a chrome wheel exchange program.

Very Active Member

The only way to paint chrome is to have it sand blasted so the paint can stick . I have the exact same dilemma you have with the factory exhaust . Mine has zero miles on it and I keep it in my garage . I hate to throw it out or as you said , sell it for 50 bucks .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Royle View Post
    Simmons motorworks has a chrome wheel exchange program.
    Simmons MotorWorks is in the process of going out of business. He’s selling everything he has on hand, and they’re still chroming items up to the point that they start selling all of their chroming equipment.

Going to ride it to work today. Rode the B-King yesterday. After today, rain for the next eight days or more.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Well...my project is 98% complete and just in time for my Tail of The Dragon group trip next weekend! Wanted to be different, stand out in a crowd and I think I have succeeded. Went with a 21” Mimic wheel up front and a 260 Metzeler in the back. Softened the suspension from the stock “4” setting to a “2”. Lastly, gone is the stripe down the middle of the bike. I originally wanted the powder coated parts to match said stripe (and it did...in the SHADE). However, as soon as the sun hit it, the color would change just enough to no longer match and my OCD couldn’t let that happen. Instead of redoing all the powder coat I opted to black out the bike, and I think that was the right decision. Now all I’m waiting for is the new wrap-around fender to come back from the paint shop on Tuesday. Can’t wait to ride next weekend!

That’s going to look great, once you get that wrap around front fender installed BIGSTUF. That’s a unique-looking 11’ model LE. Just as a side note...I think you would’ve really killed it, if you had black powder coated your lower forks, front and rear brake calipers, and refreshed the powder coat on your swing arm, and final drive hub, to give your bike an all new and fresh look.

By the way, is that Satin Black or Flat Black ceramic coat on your Freedom Radius exhaust? It looks AWESOME!!!

This past Tuesday, I received my new chromed Hard Krome Velocity Pro Race Short exhaust arrived, and the very next day I took the chrome outer muffler cover to a great coating company to have it high temp Satin Black ceramic coated. I also took the End Cap Ring and my Gen. 2 SwampWorks Swing Arm to a powder coating company to have them deep gloss black powder coated. I should have everything back within a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	388546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	388544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	388542

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTUF View Post
    Well...my project is 98% complete and just in time for my Tail of The Dragon group trip next weekend! Wanted to be different, stand out in a crowd and I think I have succeeded. Went with a 21” Mimic wheel up front and a 260 Metzeler in the back. Softened the suspension from the stock “4” setting to a “2”. Lastly, gone is the stripe down the middle of the bike. I originally wanted the powder coated parts to match said stripe (and it did...in the SHADE). However, as soon as the sun hit it, the color would change just enough to no longer match and my OCD couldn’t let that happen. Instead of redoing all the powder coat I opted to black out the bike, and I think that was the right decision. Now all I’m waiting for is the new wrap-around fender to come back from the paint shop on Tuesday. Can’t wait to ride next weekend!
    Way to go BIGSTUF! that is what I call making a bike your own. I love the creativity you used to put your bike together, I must say you will not run across another nine like yours and that's what it's all about. I can't wait to see what the front fender is going to look like. Keep up the good work. You will most certainly stand out!