Curent and Upcoming Mods

Thread: Curent and Upcoming Mods

Default Curent and Upcoming Mods

It's winter, new ride and I can't relax so......

In no particular order:

1. Engine Guards
    2. EVO Shift Star
    3. Pivot Bushing For Shifter
    4. Ivan's ECU Flash
    5. RAM Mount
    6. Ultimate Seat (Thanks JUDAH-9) You Daaaa Man!
    7. Spike Air Intakes, Minus The Spikes. K&N Filter With Black PreFilter
    8. Might Go Keyless (Guard Dawg)
    9. Fender Bye Bye Kit, Turn Signals
    10. Driving Lights
    11. HID Headlight
    12. Wider Tires
    13. Grip & Levers
    14. Jardine Quick Release Sissy For My Sissys
    15. Custom Quick Release For Rear Seat/Cover
    16. Hard Krome Velocity Pro Exhaust
    17. Bar End Turn Signals

I think that's it
    Shhh....Don't tell the wife!! She thinks the money spent on the new bike was enough, but we all know the savings in fuel offsets all the extra expenses! LMFAO

I will do my best to take photos along the way and keep ya posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Bro. I can’t wait to see your bike, once you’ve added all of your upgrades and mods. Are you going with aftermarket, wider wheels to facilitate your wide/fat tire mod?

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Are you going with aftermarket, wider wheels to facilitate your wide/fat tire mod?

No I don't thinks so. I have just seen briefly how alot of 9ers just go up a size for a more curved profile.
    And with me coming from nothing but sport bikes, I hope it will feel a little bit more like home

I just ordered the shift star so I can hurry and get it in.
    That combo of 1 N 2 gears...... eeeeewwwwww

And that Surging!!! Makes me look like I'm rocking out lol
    2019 Suzuki m109r B.O.S.S
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VZR B.o.s.s View Post
    No I don't thinks so. I have just seen briefly how alot of 9ers just go up a size for a more curved profile.
    And with me coming from nothing but sport bikes, I hope it will feel a little bit more like home

I just ordered the shift star so I can hurry and get it in.
    That combo of 1 N 2 gears...... eeeeewwwwww

And that Surging!!! Makes me look like I'm rocking out lol
    When I bought my first M109R in 2008 (an 07’ model), I also had a fully customized and performance-enhanced 2007 ZX-14R sitting in my garage. From my experience, I found that adding wider tires to an M109R makes the riding experience less like a sport bike. Wider tires make a bike harder and slower to lean and corner. I’ve had the 240 & 170, 240 & 160, 250 & 170, 250 & 160, 260 & 170, 260 & 160, 280 & 170, 280 & 160, and 300 & 160 combos on my 9s throughout the years. There’s nothing that can be done to make the riding experience of the M109R anything like a sport bike. They’re just totally different types of bikes, with totally different characteristics and abilities. With that being said, I believe you’re going to love your M109R for years and years to come. I love the M109R so much that I currently own three of them. Two of them have aftermarket, wide wheels and tires, and I love the way they ride. The M109R is a GREAT and extremely fun bike...just not a bike that can be ridden like a sport bike. Some here will argue that you can, but I strongly disagree, based on having ridden sport bikes (even did some MOTO GP style racing) for over 25 years. If you’re going with a 260/40/18 Rear Tire and 160/60/18 Front Tire, you’ll love the way the bike feels and how it holds the road. That setup will also provide a more comfortable ride, and a slight increase in ground clearance, due to the sidewall height of the tires. I think you have selected some very good mods and upgrades for your 9.

Enjoy Bro, be safe always, and please post pics as soon as you can.😊👍

Bobby

Looks like a hefty list. Should be an awesome setup when done.

Any chance you have more info on this? Cant say I've seen much on this item.

2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

It's winter, new ride and I can't relax so......

In no particular order:

1. Engine Guards
    2. EVO Shift Star
    4. Ivan's ECU Flash
    5. RAM Mount
    6. Ultimate Seat (Thanks JUDAH-9) You Daaaa Man!
    7. Spike Air Intakes, Minus The Spikes. K&N Filter With Black PreFilter
    8. Might Go Keyless (Guard Dawg)
    9. Fender Bye Bye Kit, Turn Signals
    10. Driving Lights
    11. HID Headlight
    12. Wider Tires
    13. Grip & Levers
    14. Jardine Quick Release Sissy For My Sissys
    15. Custom Quick Release For Rear Seat/Cover
    16. Hard Krome Velocity Pro Exhaust
    17. Bar End Turn Signals

I think that's it
    Shhh....Don't tell the wife!! She thinks the money spent on the new bike was enough, but we all know the savings in fuel offsets all the extra expenses! LMFAO

I will do my best to take photos along the way and keep ya posted.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the shift star was to fix the shifting issues in the early M109R models? I was under the impression that it won't do anything for the late models.

I also strongly recommend BCS for the ECU tune, he is active on these forums. BSC has received a new firmware that unlocks a couple more goodies in the ECU. He currently has my ECU which I can't wait to try out in the spring.
    I've heard mixed thoughts regarding Ivan.

Have fun with your modding!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    Looks like a hefty list. Should be an awesome setup when done.

Any chance you have more info on this? Cant say I've seen much on this item.

found it.
    https://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/...M109R-p684.htm

Must have missed this over the years. Will add this to my winter mod list to.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

We have the same bike. I'm looking forward to see how yours turns out. I haven't done anything to mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    found it.
    https://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/...M109R-p684.htm

Must have missed this over the years. Will add this to my winter mod list to.
    That bushing is a waste of money--- does nothing.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

We will find out if the shift star makes any sort of difference, I am sure hoping so.

And as far as the bronze bushing helping, I'm thinking it just might. My FZ was always binding shortly after a clean and lube, the roads here in Michigan are NEVER clean... So will the bronze help? IDK, but hell worth a try.

I will look into the BCS tune as well. My old sv650 and my FZ1 are both "ivanized" and I've been impressed with them, granted they are carbed setups.
    Last edited by VZR B.o.s.s; 01-03-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

Very Active Member

As stated above , the wider tire will in no way make it more sport bikeish. Contrary it will take more effort. The difference from 240 to 260 was not very noticeable. The difference between the 240 and 280 an a 10" wheel was immediately noticeable. Much more input needed by the rider to take corners. I love the way it looks but do not expect to gain anything from a wider tire aside from an aesthetic uograde.

So your telling me that a 240 to 250 on the stock rim, won't give the tire a more rounded profile, making for a steeper angle? Thus making for a lighter turn in? I understand the 9 isn't going to come close to a sportbike in terms of handling (lower COG, way wider rear, etc)

Parts ordered so far......

HID
    Bar end signals
    Driving lights
    New Rage rear signals
    Grips
    Plate mount
    Intake
    Engine guards

Also, my speedometer is waaay off!? Almost 10 MPH slow. Is this common?
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    That bushing is a waste of money--- does nothing.
    Good to know. I'll hold off on considering this. Thanks
    2009 M109 LE

I installed a Speedohealer to correct mine. My speedometer displayed about 8% higher that the actual speed.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

Thanks for the input from everyone!!

Busy busy day yesterday:

New bike jack that needs slightly widened
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200107_063906.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	386418

Ram Mount (my speedo healer)

Name:	20200107_063828.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	386420

New box in the tiniest garage with WAY to much S***

Name:	20200107_063643.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	386422

Name:	20200107_063605.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	386424

Backup cam and lights wired up

Name:	20200107_063735.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	386426
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

And "Save time and money" by working out at home!
    And as a added BONUS!! Tripping your family in the middle of the night!!!

Name:	20200107_064147.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	386428

I guess I have been bleesed with this so far mild winter, it's given me the extra time to get some spring projects wrapped up now, leaving more time with the kids come spring.
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the shift star was to fix the shifting issues in the early M109R models? I was under the impression that it won't do anything for the late models.

I also strongly recommend BCS for the ECU tune, he is active on these forums. BSC has received a new firmware that unlocks a couple more goodies in the ECU. He currently has my ECU which I can't wait to try out in the spring.
    I've heard mixed thoughts regarding Ivan.

Have fun with your modding!
    The shift star was for the earlier models so to speak.
    Others that have had the newer models showed the stock shift star and it is very similar to the EVO shift star and is the reason why most with the newer 9's say not to get it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So your telling me that a 240 to 250 on the stock rim, won't give the tire a more rounded profile, making for a steeper angle? Thus making for a lighter turn in? I understand the 9 isn't going to come close to a sportbike in terms of handling (lower COG, way wider rear, etc)
    Hello Bro,

Having been where you’re wanting to go with the 250mm wide tire, the difference in size from a 240mm to a 250mm tire is not significant enough that you’ll likely notice a difference in lean angle. If you’re primarily concerned with having the best lean angles and cornering abilities with the 9, you’re better off sticking with your stock size tires, but upgrading to a MUCH better quality and better performance tire, such as the METZELER or COBRA tires (both front and back).

The primary reason most, if not all of us go to the true fat tire look (10” rear wheel & 280 or 300 rear tire in combo with a 4.25” front wheel & 160/60 front tire) on our 9s is purely esthetic. It does nothing to improve the performance of the 9. However, it does improve the riding-comfort. In fact, the truth is the fat tire look is counterproductive to the performance of the 9. Nevertheless, we do it anyway, because we love the look, comfort, and are willing to work a bit harder to push the bike through curves and cornering, as a result of our fat tire look.

Soon enough, I will be modding my newest (2014 LE) M109R with a 300 rear on a 10” wheel in combo with a 160/60 front on a 4.25” wheel, to go along with my two other fat tire M109R bikes. The 9 is the most fun, comfortable, and enjoyable bike I have ever owned in my 45 years of bike riding, which is why I decided to have three of them (each modded differently).

I got out of the sport bike riding mindset the first day I brought my 2007 model M109R into my stable with my 2007 fully customized and performance-enhanced Kawasaki ZX-14R. I never rode the ZX-14R another day after that. So, I sold it right away...and I have never regretted it.

Lastly, there has been a plethora of members here who have tried riding their 9s as if it were a sport bike, and many of them have paid high-prices in doing so. Coming from sport bikes, one has to adjust their approach to riding to fit the capabilities, restrictions, and limitations of the M109R...if you want to avoid severely damaging the bike, sustaining serious bodily-injuries, or loss of life.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 01-08-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Very Active Member

I went straight from the stock tires to Cobra Chrome 130/70 and 260/40, for me that change was a night and day difference as far as feel. To me, it feels like the bike just rolls from side to side much more easily. I think that is due to the Cobra tire having a more round profile than the stock tires, both front and rear, and the rear even slightly more so with the 260 on the stock wheel. Now as I said, I went straight from stock tires to this, so I can't say if the 130/70 and 240/40 Cobra Chrome combo would have felt the same. Like said above, ground clearance is your biggest obstacle. Even though the bike transitions much better, you're still gonna run out of clearance much sooner than you are used to.

The 260 is only going to raise the rear ride height roughly somewhere between 1/4" or 1/2", so pretty negligible. If you're a heavier rider, getting the correct springs for your forks may help some by keeping them up a little higher instead of sagging down too low.

The 109 was my first cruiser also, have always ridden sport/naked bikes. The 109 handles very well, for the type of bike it is, but you have to keep reminding yourself that it's not a sport bike. In a straight line with that power and rev range, it sure feels like one.......

Rather than a RAM Mount I went with a 15W Motorcycle Bike Wireless Charger Holder Mount.

I wired it into the parking light so that it powers off with the bike. Don't be put off with selecting your phone as its a universal mount. Clamps well and never had a phone move

Works like a bought one!

https://ebay.us/lDFFzq
    Live long and ride hard \\ //

Quote Originally Posted by Sneikz View Post
    Rather than a RAM Mount I went with a 15W Motorcycle Bike Wireless Charger Holder Mount.

I wired it into the parking light so that it powers off with the bike. Don't be put off with selecting your phone as its a universal mount. Clamps well and never had a phone move

Works like a bought one!

https://ebay.us/lDFFzq
    Cool solution Sneikz. I just ordered one to see if it will work for me also. No wires (to the phone) - I like.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Cool solution Sneikz. I just ordered one to see if it will work for me also. No wires (to the phone) - I like.
    You shouldn't be disappointed. Splice it into the headlight loom inside the headlight shroud. All good and never look back.

Post back here with your opinion once done. As all is good grist for the mill.

Yes, in most vehicles on the road, not just this bike.

... Also, my speedometer is waaay off!? Almost 10 MPH slow. Is this common?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneikz View Post
    Yes, in most vehicles on the road, not just this bike.
    Indeed. My 4-wheel is +6km/h in winter shoes and +4km/h in summer rubber.
    Wife's 2019 vehicle is +4.
    Work car is +2 - closest I've seen
    M109R was "at least" +10 when I last checked, then I disassembled it, changed the LED and graphics, and have never looked at it again... hahaha. It's probably totally off anyway - putting that needle back right is a bit of a bugger. I only use my phone for speedo now.

Never had one dead-on, or "minus" (reading slower than actual) - I have a bit of Tourette-like tic where I speedo-test every car I drive... lol.
    ...GPS plus highway timed markings. Accurate-ness is next to Godliness.

I just ordered a RAM Mount knock off with a wireless charger built in. I will have some pics up later today.....

Also who here has and uses a tank bra? And if you do, hows your paint holding up under it?
    Last edited by VZR B.o.s.s; 01-26-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    2011 Hyundai Sonata
    2007 Ford Expedition
    1994 Lowe 160

I just ordered a RAM Mount knock off with a wireless charger built in. I will have some pics up later today.....

Also who here has and uses a tank bra? And if you do, hows your paint holding up under it?
    I’ve had one on my 07’ model now for over 10 years, and I’ve not had any issues with it. It has protected the tank on my 9 extremely well, and has not harmed the paint in any way. One of the keys is to always remove the tank bra and allow it to completely dry, if any water or moisture gets underneath it.

Name:	IMG_20200128_191246.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	386502

Name:	IMG_20200128_191346.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	386504

Name:	IMG_20200128_191335.jpg