Front Engine Mounts
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Front Engine Mounts

  1. #1

    Default Front Engine Mounts

    Hi guys..

    I have been reading through previous posts that go back quite a while about the dreaded front engine mounts,,,

    I tested my mounts by holding the back and front breaks and rocking the engine with the clutch, true to form the engine rocks to the point that when it rocks forwards I can hear a clunk or metal mount to Metal bracket,, so my assumption is the front mounts are buggered,,, I did notice they were worn as when riding normally there is a lot of play,

    Now suggestions on here vary from person to person, some said to use rear mounts as they are the same but stronger or stiffer material, others say that it must be the top rear mount as it is stronger and not the bottom rear mount as it is soft as the front.... It has been mentioned that someone created a nylon type bush which will outlast the rubber mounts,,,

    So you see my dilemma ? So what is the best advice on these mounts once and for all?

    Any advice greatly appreciated,,

    Dan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    177

    Default

    I'm going to replace my front and rear tops once the weather warms a bit.

    P/N 11652-10G30 for all four.

    I understand these are the rear mounts, now standard for the fronts. They cost me about $18 each plus shipping.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    If you look at the diagram and matching part numbers in this link you will see that the front and lower rear mounts are the same part number.
    The upper rears are different part number and supposedly made from a harder Material.

    http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-12.html

    And this link below is where you can find the aftermarket polyurethane mounts.

    http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=287

    BCS

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    If you look at the diagram and matching part numbers in this link you will see that the front and lower rear mounts are the same part number.
    The upper rears are different part number and supposedly made from a harder Material.

    http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-12.html

    And this link below is where you can find the aftermarket polyurethane mounts.

    http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=287

    BCS
    Thanks for correcting me. I thought Suzuki had upgraded their design. Guess not.

    From what I've read here, most guys replace the fronts and rear uppers. I'm planning to do the same based on this information. Am I wrong here as well?

    What I don't understand is why the rear lowers aren't replaced instead of the rear uppers. I understand it's a hassle, but it's the softer mount, so it probably wears almost as quickly as the front.

    #35 - 11652-10G00 (soft, front, rear lower)
    #36 -
    11652-10G30 (hard, rear upper)



  7. #5
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkFan View Post
    Thanks for correcting me. I thought Suzuki had upgraded their design. Guess not.

    From what I've read here, most guys replace the fronts and rear uppers. I'm planning to do the same based on this information. Am I wrong here as well?

    What I don't understand is why the rear lowers aren't replaced instead of the rear uppers. I understand it's a hassle, but it's the softer mount, so it probably wears almost as quickly as the front.

    #35 - 11652-10G00 (soft, front, rear lower)
    #36 -
    11652-10G30 (hard, rear upper)


    I actually did not even pick up on that in your post, I was just replying to the OP's post trying to give him a bit more info with links.

    You also got it right about the why the lower mounts are often not replace by some......its a bit of job to get it done.

    BCS

  8. #6
    Very Active Member asillito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    If you look at the diagram and matching part numbers in this link you will see that the front and lower rear mounts are the same part number.
    The upper rears are different part number and supposedly made from a harder Material.

    http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-12.html

    And this link below is where you can find the aftermarket polyurethane mounts.

    http://secure.billydump.com/store/in...&productId=287

    BCS
    I have replaced the front and rear mounts with Scorp's mounts and am very satisfied with the results. The link to the poly mounts above leave me with 2 questions ... why there isn't 2 different densities of mounts (both the facotry and Scorp use different density mounts on front and back) ... and why are there grooves in these mounts ? (I would think these grooves give it a weakness that the factory mounts have .. the scorp mounts do not have the grooves).
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

  9. #7
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    I have replaced the front and rear mounts with Scorp's mounts and am very satisfied with the results. The link to the poly mounts above leave me with 2 questions ... why there isn't 2 different densities of mounts (both the facotry and Scorp use different density mounts on front and back) ... and why are there grooves in these mounts ? (I would think these grooves give it a weakness that the factory mounts have .. the scorp mounts do not have the grooves).
    The polymounts linked above were designed by a couple of guys who are members of this page.
    I am sure one of them can give you more info as to the engineering and thought behind them.

    BCS

  10. #8
    Very Active Member futurR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    I have replaced the front and rear mounts with Scorp's mounts and am very satisfied with the results. The link to the poly mounts above leave me with 2 questions ... why there isn't 2 different densities of mounts (both the facotry and Scorp use different density mounts on front and back) ... and why are there grooves in these mounts ? (I would think these grooves give it a weakness that the factory mounts have .. the scorp mounts do not have the grooves).
    The issue with 2 different densities is proven with the stock mounts and Scorps mounts. They wear at different rates. The stock mounts fail faster due to this. Scorps mounts last longer than stock, but have failed also--- I have a set on the bench that proven that. Also, what can cause the failure with Scorp mounts is inconsistency when the chemicals are poured--- which is also how the different densities are created. The stock mounts are similar to this with the rubber.

    Using 1 density mount for all increases the life expectancy for all--- they all wear at the same rate. The flutes are purposely designed into the new design. It makes them easier to install, gives better vibration dampening, and are an even higher density then the stock and scorp mounts---which should outlast both of them. Also, on a different note, not sure Scorp is making them anymore.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

  11. #9
    Very Active Member asillito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    The issue with 2 different densities is proven with the stock mounts and Scorps mounts. They wear at different rates. The stock mounts fail faster due to this. Scorps mounts last longer than stock, but have failed also--- I have a set on the bench that proven that. Also, what can cause the failure with Scorp mounts is inconsistency when the chemicals are poured--- which is also how the different densities are created. The stock mounts are similar to this with the rubber.

    Using 1 density mount for all increases the life expectancy for all--- they all wear at the same rate. The flutes are purposely designed into the new design. It makes them easier to install, gives better vibration dampening, and are an even higher density then the stock and scorp mounts---which should outlast both of them. Also, on a different note, not sure Scorp is making them anymore.
    My understanding is that the different densities was to compensate for the difference in 'tongue' weight at the front and rear mounts.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

  12. #10

    Default

    Ok I bought the rear top mounts and put them in the front,,, After a mess around I found the easiest way to do it..,.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga2PRCFggBY&t=16s

    Now after a couple of day riding I find there is more vibrating through the steering, especially if you open up the throttle the V Twin doesn't half shake the steering,,, My guess is that these softer mounts were there for a reason, possibly in initial testing they found the front mounts needed to be softer to take thew shock of the engine,,,,
    I think that my mounts would have given me maybe another 6 months before replacement was needed, so maybe in the next change i will revert to softer ones again to reduce the engine vibration being transferred to the front of the bike.
    The vibration isnt too bad unless you crank the throttle, it even shakes the screen...
    I know some will comment that maybe I didn't tighten something up, or I didnt install them properly,, but they are fitted correctly. Plus I dont think IM the only one who found more of the engine vibration transferred to the steering,,,

    A lesson learnt,,,,

  13. #11
    Very Active Member Sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnlmclean View Post
    Ok I bought the rear top mounts and put them in the front,,, After a mess around I found the easiest way to do it..,.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga2PRCFggBY&t=16s

    Now after a couple of day riding I find there is more vibrating through the steering, especially if you open up the throttle the V Twin doesn't half shake the steering,,, My guess is that these softer mounts were there for a reason, possibly in initial testing they found the front mounts needed to be softer to take thew shock of the engine,,,,
    I think that my mounts would have given me maybe another 6 months before replacement was needed, so maybe in the next change i will revert to softer ones again to reduce the engine vibration being transferred to the front of the bike.
    The vibration isnt too bad unless you crank the throttle, it even shakes the screen...
    I know some will comment that maybe I didn't tighten something up, or I didnt install them properly,, but they are fitted correctly. Plus I dont think IM the only one who found more of the engine vibration transferred to the steering,,,

    A lesson learnt,,,,
    You are not alone. I went with the Billydumps for the front and the normal engine vibration went away but they introduced a buzzing in the hand grips and foot pegs and the mirrors buzzed so badly they were useless. I rechecked everything, same problem. I then swapped the used rear uppers with the billydumps and that seemed to be the best middle ground for me. Maybe swap your current rear uppers with the new ones you put in the front?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->