First Service

Thread: First Service

Default First Service

I have a 2019. Just passed 700 miles. I need to get the first service done but dealers are quoting $400-$700 to do it. I was thinking maybe $150-$200. I don’t understand why it’s so much. Is it worth finding someone to do the first service or should I just do an oil and differential change and be done? Thanks for any help or tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Download the manual here and do it yourself. Besides the rear diff and oil change they are suppose to do some Tq checks. It shows in the manual what to check.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Download the manual here and do it yourself. Besides the rear diff and oil change they are suppose to do some Tq checks. It shows in the manual what to check.

I agree......only time my 07 has been to the "stealer" was for a recall. Do it yourself or find a trustworthy independent shop to do your work. Of course most places will charge $80+ an hour for labor. That's why its best to do it yourself. Plus you will know the bike better and enjoy knowing that "you" did the work.

Enjoy The Ride

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I bit the bullet and took mine in for the first service. I had the shop make sure that they completed everything that was listed in the manual that was supposed to be done for the first service, and ensure that it was listed on the invoice. In the event of a warranty issue I didn't want any questions on whether or not the service was done. I don't remember it costing that much though. I think I paid around $400-$450. I plan on doing the majority of the other scheduled maintenance myself.

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not that mechanically inclined. I can do the oil and diff change but really anything else and I’m kind of lost. I’ve searched for the first service list but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Do y’all have a link or something that gives me the run down on what all needs to be done? Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasM109r View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Iím not that mechanically inclined. I can do the oil and diff change but really anything else and Iím kind of lost. Iíve searched for the first service list but canít seem to find what Iím looking for. Do yíall have a link or something that gives me the run down on what all needs to be done? Thanks for all the help.
    Do you have the manual?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys. Iím not that mechanically inclined. I can do the oil and diff change but really anything else and Iím kind of lost. Iíve searched for the first service list but canít seem to find what Iím looking for. Do yíall have a link or something that gives me the run down on what all needs to be done? Thanks for all the help.
    Starts on page 2-2 in the manual.

Pg 2-29 is the page that has all the chassis torques. And after that page list the pictures where all the bolts are at to check.

I think the first service cost so much becouse they are suppossed to check the valve clearances I haven't seen one that needed adjusting after 20.000 miles let alone on the first service

I have the owners manual that came with it. I’ll look when I get home. I skimmed through it when I bought the bike. Never had a first service quoted this high before. Thank you all for your help. It’s nice to have a group like this.

I have the owners manual that came with it. Iíll look when I get home. I skimmed through it when I bought the bike. Never had a first service quoted this high before. Thank you all for your help. Itís nice to have a group like this.
    Thats the owners manual. You need the maintenance/shop manual. I believe there is link here or over on FB. I'll see if I can find it

I have the owners manual that came with it. I’ll look when I get home. I skimmed through it when I bought the bike. Never had a first service quoted this high before. Thank you all for your help. It’s nice to have a group like this.
    Here is a link to the shop manual

Link is still good, I just downloaded another copy myself.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/...r-Vzr1800.html

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

Any concerns about warranty if you donít do this first service at a dealer?

I have a 2014 with 6k mikes. The only maintenance I’ve ever done on it, oil, air filter and battery.

Thanks Dreamer

Default To do it yourself or not; that is the question. Here's the answer.

I have a 2019. Just passed 700 miles. I need to get the first service done but dealers are quoting $400-$700 to do it. I was thinking maybe $150-$200. I donít understand why itís so much. Is it worth finding someone to do the first service or should I just do an oil and differential change and be done? Thanks for any help or tips.
    I agree with everyone that the cost you were quoted seems high. I was quoted $250 for my first oil change and that did not include the synthetic oil. So, what did I do? I got a copy of the ďserviceĒ manual, not ďuserĒ manual. Purchased a motorcycle lift (get a good one) and did it myself for the cost of the lift and supplies. The next oil change then only cost me for the oil itself.

You say youíre not mechanically inclined, you might want to find a cheaper dealer. Why? Because youíll note on YouTube, m109r oil changes are a bit tricky. Go to YouTube.com and type ďm109r oil change procedureĒ. You will see a dozen or more excellent instructional videos for how to do it yourself.

You must run the engine for 10 minutes, get the bike level to even check the oil level. After you drain the old oil you must add the ďEXACT-EXACT-EXACT-EXACTĒ amount of oil to the micro-ounce to the crankcase. If you add too much you will have a mess on your hands. No winging it, no eyeballing it; youíve got to be exact and the bike has to be level, not leaning on the kickstand. If you donít want to buy a jack, put a brick or 2x4 under the kickstand and be very careful not to over-level the bike the other way, or it will tip over to the right.
    Lastly, when you put the drain plug back in, remember the pipes may still be hot if you ran the engine prior to beginning. You ask, ďwhy would I run the engine?Ē Because the hot oil will flow out faster, easier and completely.

Now here is why you might want to use a dealer. Usually they will check the clutch travel on the cable. This is important because a new clutch cable will stretch a bit and mess with your friction engage point. Youíll know because it will become progressively harder to go from neutral to 1st gear and a knee jerking experience to go from 1st to 2nd without practically lifting your foot off the left peg. Believe you me, no fun.

What else, the dealer will usually check your radiator fluid and top-off your rear differential and ensure your tire pressure is optimal. Still, I think $750 is waaaaaayyyyy to much, but a trip to the dealer because of a clutch cable that wonít allow you to change gears is even worse especially if you tear up one of your clutch plate trying to slip a gear. My advice to you, if youíre not confident, call around to a few rice-rocket dealers that are accustomed to Japanese bikes. Ask for a quote for oil, cable inspection, etc. You may find the whole bundle for a mere 150~250.

Hope this helps.
    Mike Way m109r lover forever!

I have a 2019. Just passed 700 miles. I need to get the first service done but dealers are quoting $400-$700 to do it. I was thinking maybe $150-$200. I donít understand why itís so much. Is it worth finding someone to do the first service or should I just do an oil and differential change and be done? Thanks for any help or tips.
    Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Way View Post
    I have a 2019. Just passed 700 miles. I need to get the first service done but dealers are quoting $400-$700 to do it. I was thinking maybe $150-$200. I don’t understand why it’s so much. Is it worth finding someone to do the first service or should I just do an oil and differential change and be done? Thanks for any help or tips.
    I agree with everyone that the cost you were quoted seems high. I was quoted $250 for my first oil change and that did not include the synthetic oil. So, what did I do? I got a copy of the “service” manual, not “user” manual. Purchased a motorcycle lift (get a good one) and did it myself for the cost of the lift and supplies. The next oil change then only cost me for the oil itself.

You say you’re not mechanically inclined, you might want to find a cheaper dealer. Why? Because you’ll note on YouTube, m109r oil changes are a bit tricky. Go to YouTube.com and type “m109r oil change procedure”. You will see a dozen or more excellent instructional videos for how to do it yourself.

You must run the engine for 10 minutes, get the bike level to even check the oil level. After you drain the old oil you must add the “EXACT-EXACT-EXACT-EXACT” amount of oil to the micro-ounce to the crankcase. If you add too much you will have a mess on your hands. No winging it, no eyeballing it; you’ve got to be exact and the bike has to be level, not leaning on the kickstand. If you don’t want to buy a jack, put a brick or 2x4 under the kickstand and be very careful not to over-level the bike the other way, or it will tip over to the right.
    Lastly, when you put the drain plug back in, remember the pipes may still be hot if you ran the engine prior to beginning. You ask, “why would I run the engine?” Because the hot oil will flow out faster, easier and completely.

Now here is why you might want to use a dealer. Usually they will check the clutch travel on the cable. This is important because a new clutch cable will stretch a bit and mess with your friction engage point. You’ll know because it will become progressively harder to go from neutral to 1st gear and a knee jerking experience to go from 1st to 2nd without practically lifting your foot off the left peg. Believe you me, no fun.

What else, the dealer will usually check your radiator fluid and top-off your rear differential and ensure your tire pressure is optimal. Still, I think $750 is waaaaaayyyyy to much, but a trip to the dealer because of a clutch cable that won’t allow you to change gears is even worse especially if you tear up one of your clutch plate trying to slip a gear. My advice to you, if you’re not confident, call around to a few rice-rocket dealers that are accustomed to Japanese bikes. Ask for a quote for oil, cable inspection, etc. You may find the whole bundle for a mere 150~250.

Hope this helps.
    Mike Way m109r lover forever!
    Good write up. Thanks for the insight. I’m still shopping around. I think I found a spot that will do the first service for $300.

Where are you located

Out towards Ft.Worth, Tx.

Holy cow you guys pay a lot down there! Mine was like $250 CAD (which is like... what... $37 USD?).
    That was the only visit except for tires - I have since done all my own fluid service.

Out towards Ft.Worth, Tx.
    If you have questions or need a hand let me know. Im out by Terrell.

If you have questions or need a hand let me know. Im out by Terrell.

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Haven't done anything yet.