Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Thread: Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Default Earplugs for motorcycle riding

Hey fellow riders! I just watched this video about Big Ear filtered custom motorcycle earplugs and I want to know if any of you here tried their products. I'd love to get myself a pair but I want to know if they're great first. Any other recommendation? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I just wear el cheapo faoam plugs. Roll em up, stick em in your ears, and go. Not buying no expensive ear plugs when a set of el cheapo foam plugs works just great.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I use the foam plugs from Walmart and could have a conversation while wearing them.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    I use the foam plugs from Walmart and could have a conversation while wearing them.
    Not me, my hearings too bad from years of riding loud motorcycles. But, I can still hear well enough to hear emergency vehicles with them in and a good helmet overtop of them. That's all that matters.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I use these...

https://www.plugfones.com/consumer-product-comparison/

really like them. These are the only ones that I could find that stay in my ears

I use these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use these ones. They are attenuator earplugs. That way I can still hear my intercom, music, pipes and traffic, but without the wind noise and at a lower DB rating.
    They've been so good, I have purchased a set for myself, a children's pair for my daughter, and some sleep ones for when I go to events and sleep during the days I'm on nightshift - yes, I can still hear my alarm.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection....ry/motorcycle/

Very Active Member

Pingu, which model do you use from them?

I have tried a few.
    • FOAM - PRO: Simple, Effective, Cheap. CON: Easy to lose, gets dirty over time, can be a drag to wait for the foam to expand and insert properly.
    • "CHRISTMAS TREE" STANDARD SAFETY EARPLUGS - PRO: Better than foam, Faster to don/doff, still cheap. CON: None, really - they work and are cheap to use, often come with little cases.
    • "CERAMIC FILTER" - PRO: None that I could find. CON: Overpriced, found them LESS effective than $7 safety plugs and in fact often ENHANCED certain frequencies, causing a high pitch whine and whistle. Annoying A.F. I returned them.
    • "CUSTOM INJECTED SILICONE" - PRO: Custom Fit, Work Well, Can be cleaned, Easy don/doff, Can still hear my helmet music and comms. CON: Stupid expensive for what they are. Got them done by Big Ear at a bike show (just the plugs, no wires or speakers inside). These are now my personal favs.

"At highway speeds, your helmet can be TWICE as loud as your loudest music with earbuds."
    I wear a helmet on my head the same as plugs for my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    I have tried a few.
    • FOAM - PRO: Simple, Effective, Cheap. CON: Easy to lose, gets dirty over time, can be a drag to wait for the foam to expand and insert properly.
    • "CHRISTMAS TREE" STANDARD SAFETY EARPLUGS - PRO: Better than foam, Faster to don/doff, still cheap. CON: None, really - they work and are cheap to use, often come with little cases.
    • "CERAMIC FILTER" - PRO: None that I could find. CON: Overpriced, found them LESS effective than $7 safety plugs and in fact often ENHANCED certain frequencies, causing a high pitch whine and whistle. Annoying A.F. I returned them.
    • "CUSTOM INJECTED SILICONE" - PRO: Custom Fit, Work Well, Can be cleaned, Easy don/doff, Can still hear my helmet music and comms. CON: Stupid expensive for what they are. Got them done by Big Ear at a bike show (just the plugs, no wires or speakers inside). These are now my personal favs.

"At highway speeds, your helmet can be TWICE as loud as your loudest music with earbuds."
    I wear a helmet on my head the same as plugs for my ears.
    I've used a few as well:
    Foam: Cheap but very uncomfortable after a while. Cuts out too much sound as I like to listen to music on my Packtalk speakers inside my helmet.
    EarPeace music plugs: Not too expensive, much more comfortable, can change the filter to adjust the dB cut. The helmet speakers sound great and wind noise is drastically cut. Problem was sometimes they just did not fit quite right.
    Custom molded music plugs from HearSmart: The most comfortable and easy to use but expensive. Music sounds just as good as the EarPeace but the fit is perfect. I could wear these for hours with no problems. The filter is also changeable. They guarantee these for 3 years and keep the molds for your ears for 3 years in case you lose one. I've also used these on planes, sleeping and heavy metal concerts. By far my favorite plugs.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I've used a few as well:
    EarPeace music plugs: Not too expensive, much more comfortable, can change the filter to adjust the dB cut. The helmet speakers sound great and wind noise is drastically cut. Problem was sometimes they just did not fit quite right.
    So these are half decent then?
    I have never worn earplugs on the bike because I am usually trying to listen to the bike as I ride most times and other times I have my music or talking on comms in my helmet through my Cardo.
    But I am already 100% deaf in my right ear, between the bike and working in the engine room on these ships my left ear is going downhill pretty fast also, so figured I would give these a try.
    Looks like they come in a 3 pack so that will last me a long time since I only need to wear one.
    I have both speakers from my Cardo on the left side of my helmet since having one the right side does nothing for me.
    (I broke my skull in a car accident when I was 18 years old and have been totally deaf on my right side since)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VST3SH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 5 Days Ago at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    So these are half decent then?
    I have never worn earplugs on the bike because I am usually trying to listen to the bike as I ride most times and other times I have my music or talking on comms in my helmet through my Cardo.
    But I am already 100% deaf in my right ear, between the bike and working in the engine room on these ships my left ear is going downhill pretty fast also, so figured I would give these a try.
    Looks like they come in a 3 pack so that will last me a long time since I only need to wear one.
    I have both speakers from my Cardo on the left side of my helmet since having one the right side does nothing for me.
    (I broke my skull in a car accident when I was 18 years old and have been totally deaf on my right side since)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076VST3SH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Yes, those are the ones. You will still be able to hear some engine noise. I've had these in, had my music cranked and could still hear a siren from behind. The benefit is the bad noise is filtered, making the Cardo speakers sound better. I've tried using the comm with and without filtered ear plugs and hands down, with the plugs is much better.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Yes, those are the ones. You will still be able to hear some engine noise. I've had these in, had my music cranked and could still hear a siren from behind. The benefit is the bad noise is filtered, making the Cardo speakers sound better. I've tried using the comm with and without filtered ear plugs and hands down, with the plugs is much better.
    Great, thanks for the feedback.
    Now I know what to ask Santa for.

BCS