Lifetime Oil Filter - What do you think?

Thread: Lifetime Oil Filter - What do you think?

Default Lifetime Oil Filter - What do you think?

A friend gave me this link for a filter that would fit my 2014 M109R BOSS.

https://www.denniskirk.com/flo-oil-f...prd/305882.sku

What do you think of it?

It would ease my maintenance, as I have to import the oil filter from Dubai, not easily available here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Baldi View Post
    A friend gave me this link for a filter that would fit my 2014 M109R BOSS.

https://www.denniskirk.com/flo-oil-f...prd/305882.sku

What do you think of it?

It would ease my maintenance, as I have to import the oil filter from Dubai, not easily available here.
    This product has been discussed and debated on this Forum in the past. Most thought it was a great concept/product, but not many were willing to shell out almost $130 for an Oil Filter. I found it to be a FANTASTIC idea/product, considering the manner in which its constructed/designed, as it is far superior than any other motorcycle oil filter on the market. Now that the price has gone down, I am going to purchase 3 of them...1 for each of my M109R bikes. I did a quick search and found them on Amazon for only $97.91 each, with Free Shipping.

Ok, Yup - I'm interested if Judah is interested, plus it looks super slick... whaaat?! That's important too!!
    Cool find!

Different model, same brand... "wow" nicely engineered!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w22wzKJhRU

Bwahahaha... Amazon.ca WHAT A JOKE!!
    Their Canadian pricing is routinely absolute B.Sheit.
    American price: $97.91. Canadian price, identical item from the identical seller... $158.00 CAD.
    That's a 60% markup... not 30% to account for exchange.
    Gah. Looks like I'm driving to the border to pick up another package.

UPDATE: Even more ridiculous... the $97.91 seller offers free shipping to Canada... and at the normal 30%ish exchange rate. So... ya... the Amazon USA price+exchange+shpping is LESS THAN the Canadian Amazon Price alone. Lol. Just confirming they will ship via USPS so I don't get raped by UPS for "Brokerage Fees" (aka Pirate Highway Robbery fees...) then hitting BUY NOW.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 10-19-2019 at 08:16 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    This product has been discussed and debated on this Forum in the past. Most thought it was a great concept/product, but not many were willing to shell out almost $130 for an Oil Filter. I found it to be a FANTASTIC idea/product, considering the manner in which its constructed/designed, as it is far superior than any other motorcycle oil filter on the market. Now that the price has gone down, I am going to purchase 3 of them...1 for each of my M109R bikes. I did a quick search and found them on Amazon for only $97.91 each, with Free Shipping.
    Thanks for the feedback. Glad that it is a viable product. I would also like to order it. Could you please post the link?

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Ok, Yup - I'm interested if Judah is interested, plus it looks super slick... whaaat?! That's important too!!
    Cool find!

American price: $97.91. Canadian price, identical item from the identical seller... $158.00 CAD.

UPDATE: Even more ridiculous... the $97.91 seller offers free shipping to Canada... and at the normal 30%ish exchange rate. So... ya... the Amazon USA price+exchange+shpping is LESS THAN the Canadian Amazon Price alone. Lol. Just confirming they will ship via USPS so I don't get raped by UPS for "Brokerage Fees" (aka Pirate Highway Robbery fees...) then hitting BUY NOW.
    Glad you liked the filter. I am waiting for the link and then I will order it.

Here you go Baldi. This is the link from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3C7LO58P&psc=1

,[QUOTE=NoSetFine;3990568]Ok, Yup - I'm interested if Judah is interested, plus it looks super slick... whaaat?! That's important too!!
    Cool find!

UPDATE: Even more ridiculous... the $97.91 seller offers free shipping to Canada... and at the normal 30%ish exchange rate. So... ya... the Amazon USA price+exchange+shpping is LESS THAN the Canadian Amazon Price alone. Lol. Just confirming they will ship via USPS so I don't get raped by UPS for "Brokerage Fees" (aka Pirate Highway Robbery fees...) then hitting BUY NOW.[/.

When this product was first introduced to this Forum it was priced at almost $130 each, which was a huge turn-off to most(including me).😁😁😁 I loved the concept, design, and high-level quality the product provided. Now that the price is much more reasonable, I’m buying 3 of them.

NSF, I hate to hear about all the trouble you guys go through to get products shipped to your Canadian address. I hope this great oil filter opportunity works out much better for you. 😊👍👍👍😊

I have one similar on my bike. It is from K&P Engineering. I had bought it and used it on my K5 1K and the 9 uses the same filter so I kept it and use it now. Every so often you just have to replace the o-ring

this high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance”

Funny as any racing car is going to rebuilt engines frequently. So what would really be the need for this?
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Here you go Baldi. This is the link from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3C7LO58P&psc=1
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    this high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance”

Funny as any racing car is going to rebuilt engines frequently. So what would really be the need for this?
    It's just a damn selling point. They likely have no proof whatsoever that any racing organization uses a filter such as this. As you say, they rebuild frequently. I'm going to keep on using stock filters myself. I'm not fooled by hype advertising.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by Weedahoe View Post
    I have one similar on my bike. It is from K&P Engineering. I had bought it and used it on my K5 1K and the 9 uses the same filter so I kept it and use it now. Every so often you just have to replace the o-ring
    Where did you get the replacement o-ring from?

Where did you get the replacement o-ring from?
    For mine, directly from F&P Engineering. They sent them to me for free and sent several of them and told me I could reuse them once by flipping them over once they were used once. Hope that makes sense

For mine, directly from F&P Engineering. They sent them to me for free and sent several of them and told me I could reuse them once by flipping them over once they were used once. Hope that makes sense
    Thanks Bro. It makes perfect sense. However, can you elaborate on the damage you noticed on the o-rings that made you want to replace them? With it being deemed a “Lifetime Oil Filter” why should the o-rings need replacing after two oil changes?

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post

It's just a damn selling point. They likely have no proof whatsoever that any racing organization uses a filter such as this. As you say, they rebuild frequently. I'm going to keep on using stock filters myself. I'm not fooled by hype advertising.
    Nascar shops do use this “technology “ but for dyno purposes only. When i was building engines for drag cars after every intial run, pull, and after any significant change we would drain the oil and disassemble the filter and inspect for any kind of metal or foreign objects that mite be a tell tale sign of failure. Most customers who brought their own build in to be dynoed would have traditional paper style filters and we had a tool to cut those open with also and do the the same checks. Every customer was told to bring at least 3 filters and enough oil to cover changes as well. You would be surprised as to what you would find. I dont see the need for it on our bikes but they do serve their purpose and have a proper place.

Thanks Bro. It makes perfect sense. However, can you elaborate on the damage you noticed on the o-rings that made you want to replace them? With it being deemed a “Lifetime Oil Filter” why should the o-rings need replacing after two oil changes?
    From what I seen on the Rings when I did replace them I'm sure you could actually go longer than two oil changes but I replace them because one that's what they recommended into they sent me a couple of them to use along the way. But overall the O-ring typically will get flattened over a period of time being torqued between the engine case and oil filter itself and could potentially be a leak issue if it did not seal correctly but again I never had this issue.

From what I seen on the Rings when I did replace them I'm sure you could actually go longer than two oil changes but I replace them because one that's what they recommended into they sent me a couple of them to use along the way. But overall the O-ring typically will get flattened over a period of time being torqued between the engine case and oil filter itself and could potentially be a leak issue if it did not seal correctly but again I never had this issue.
    Thanks again Bro. Lastly, do you have a contact number you can provide, so I can order some additional o-rings in advance,to have on hand whenever I will need one?

Very Active Member DutchM1800R2's Avatar

Lastly, do you have a contact number you can provide, so I can order some additional o-rings in advance,to have on hand whenever I will need one?

Here you go bro! http://www.pcracingusa.com/Replaceme...PCS2_p_39.html

Great find, I’ll be ordering one as well

Quote Originally Posted by DutchM1800R2 View Post
    Here you go bro! http://www.pcracingusa.com/Replaceme...PCS2_p_39.html

Great find, I’ll be ordering one as well
    Thank you for the info Dutch. BTW, do you have any update pics of your bike you can share with us? I know you’ve been doing a ton of upgrades and mods for a while now. I’m curious to see what you’ve created!😁👍✋👍😁

While I find the idea of a permanent oil filter good (I do have K&N air filters) the cost is too much. It is obvious that the markup/margin on these things is huge. The cost of one is approx the cost of 9 stock oil filters or 9 years of use. The stock oil filter is much easier and cleaner to swap out. I'll stick with the stock filter and wait for the cost of the permanent one to come down.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

I like the cost and the convenience of a throw-away filter. Since their site shows the cost of the o-rings are $5 for two (enough for four filter cleanings), and because of the added time and effort involved in cleaning the reusable filter, I will continue using the throw-away filters.

Thanks again Bro. Lastly, do you have a contact number you can provide, so I can order some additional o-rings in advance,to have on hand whenever I will need one?
    http://kandpengineering.com/

(720) 238-1181

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I like the cost and the convenience of a throw-away filter. Since their site shows the cost of the o-rings are $5 for two (enough for four filter cleanings), and because of the added time and effort involved in cleaning the reusable filter, I will continue using the throw-away filters.
    I agree. Sounds like a major PITA to clean the damn thing. Much easier and cheaper to keep using the stock style and just toss it when done.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Most of these 'high-end' products speak on cleaning oil/gas ... but I'm sure that most (if not all) of us endeavor to use superior quality gas and oil in our machines and maintain them to a high level. With that in mind the need to have additional steps of keeping oil/gas clean is less likely. I have K&N air filters as I feel they are worth the added cost and provide measurable performance. This permanent oil filter does not.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Default Flo Permanent Oil Filter

Well I got mine and it's on... and sadly, I can see it even less than I thought I might.
    Lol - so don't buy it for looks, although it does look pretty slick.

Went on flawlessly, used the lug on the end for easy torque-tightening as none of the 3 filter wrenches I have can fit in that space anyway.

Did [some research] and learned that it isn't nearly as complicated to clean as I had originally thought.
    Brake cleaner spray, rinse with some soapy water, blow dry. Done.

Ya, sure, it is more work than "Remove, Toss, Replace..." but I also did some [other research] and read a [number of articles] discussing the science behind the stainless mesh, and it's actually pretty surprising. Although paper can (potentially) filter down to 20 microns vs. Flo's stainless mesh's 35, the difference is that paper is rarely first-pass, and fails over time as it does its job, whereas stainless is [always 35 microns, all the time, first time]. The idea is that the crud which can routinely slip past paper and maybe *eventually* get caught (90 microns is mentioned, and sand is 100 microns... so particles about the size of *SAND* could be allowed to float around in there) is *always* caught by the stainless mesh on the first try.

So... whatever. I have no illusions that preventing a few bits of 90 micron junk swooshing through my oil for 6 months of each year will make ANY difference whatsoever during my "Enthusiast Class" riding lifetime with this bike, but what the heck - it looks cool, it is very well made, I like the idea of it... and I couldn't return it now anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191109_144938.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	386134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191108_174107.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	386138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191108_174038.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	386140

On my Ford Ranger, I have a MAC intake that originally had a K & N cone filter. I replaced that with a Spectre stainless steel mesh filter 10 years ago. I've read all the ups and downs on steel mesh as a filter material, but honestly, never had an issue with the MAF being dirty or anything. Truck is a V-6 headed for 166,000 miles very soon. The only oil it uses is a small drip, about one quart in a 3000 miles change.

So yeah, I've no problem with it being steel mesh. I may change my mind on the subject. And on my B-King, it'll be visible.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

K
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Well I got mine and it's on... and sadly, I can see it even less than I thought I might.
    Lol - so don't buy it for looks, although it does look pretty slick.

Went on flawlessly, used the lug on the end for easy torque-tightening as none of the 3 filter wrenches I have can fit in that space anyway.

Did [some research] and learned that it isn't nearly as complicated to clean as I had originally thought.
    Brake cleaner spray, rinse with some soapy water, blow dry. Done.

Ya, sure, it is more work than "Remove, Toss, Replace..." but I also did some [other research] and read a [number of articles] discussing the science behind the stainless mesh, and it's actually pretty surprising. Although paper can (potentially) filter down to 20 microns vs. Flo's stainless mesh's 35, the difference is that paper is rarely first-pass, and fails over time as it does its job, whereas stainless is [always 35 microns, all the time, first time]. The idea is that the crud which can routinely slip past paper and maybe *eventually* get caught (90 microns is mentioned, and sand is 100 microns... so particles about the size of *SAND* could be allowed to float around in there) is *always* caught by the stainless mesh on the first try.

So... whatever. I have no illusions that preventing a few bits of 90 micron junk swooshing through my oil for 6 months of each year will make ANY difference whatsoever during my "Enthusiast Class" riding lifetime with this bike, but what the heck - it looks cool, it is very well made, I like the idea of it... and I couldn't return it now anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191109_144938.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	386134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191108_174107.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	386138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024_20191108_174038.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	386140
    Thanks for the review NSF. One of the selling points for me was the fact of the filtering material being made of stainless mesh that can not/will not break down over time. I haven’t actually ordered my three just yet, but I will very soon. I’m trying to be slick, and see if the price drops just a bit more. I’m in no rush, as all my 9s just had oil changes before I left Kentucky...and neither of them has been ridden more than 500 miles since I’ve been here in Texas.😊😳😊