Lowering the rear on the 9

Thread: Lowering the rear on the 9

Default Lowering the rear on the 9

Question... Mainly for those who ride harder n like to cut it up on Twisties. I'm at stock height now n scrape my pegs n heels regularly lol. Can't help it on this beast. Physics would say that lowering the bike at all would cause it to scrape sooner. But just wanted to hear from you veteran 9ers, would lowering just the rear n keeping stock height in the front cause the pegs to scrape sooner? Got freedom performance pipes so not really worried about scraping the exhaust, but again I could be wrong. Anyone scrape these? Love the look of the tucked rear but I don't want to sacrifice any rideability. Eventually even looking to go with a rounder rear tire to make maneuverability in curves a little better. Thanks for any input guys. Rubber side down!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Yes lowering will make it scrape more. I like the m888 better for handling than the E3 but milage is still TBD.
    Last edited by UVATom; 10-18-2019 at 09:45 PM.

^^^^^... 100%. Any form of lowering the 9 will cause scraping to occur sooner and at lower speeds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Love the look but don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Tire is still gonna be a while. Stock's only got 2k on it. Stock height it is. Anyone familiar with the handling on air?

Very Active Member

you can lower the rear fender for more of a tucked look, on the 4 big round headed bolts on the frame

Quote Originally Posted by frankj View Post
    you can lower the rear fender for more of a tucked look, on the 4 big round headed bolts on the frame
    Gotta look into this. Took the tail apart to do the signals but didn't notice any adjustment point for the fender. Thx

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkz View Post
    Gotta look into this. Took the tail apart to do the signals but didn't notice any adjustment point for the fender. Thx

the holes are,nt slotted for adjustment tbh, but i dropped mine a fair bit before the plastics and fitment altered
    the bolts are m10 iirc, so you could trial fit with m6 or m8 nuts and bolts eh

Quote Originally Posted by frankj View Post
    Frank, do you have any pics you can provide to illustrate that? In all my years of being an M109R, I’ve never heard of what you’re suggesting. If it indeed works, it seems as if it would be a better option than actually lowering the rear with Lowering Links, as it would give that same “tucked” appearance.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Frank, do you have any pics you can provide to illustrate that? In all my years of being an M109R, I’ve never heard of what you’re suggesting. If it indeed works, it seems as if it would be a better option than actually lowering the rear with Lowering Links, as it would give that same “tucked” appearance.
    only have these 1st attempt of replacement alloy brackets mate, the stock steel ones are over-engineered to hold a 20 stone passenger and backrest.
    you can see where i slotted the 2 boltholes for test/adjust the wheel tuck, that raised and lowered the rear light by about 4"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20191019_15_27_45_Pro.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	385918  

Doesn't matter how you lower it, it will still scrape sooner than it does at stock ride height. Years ago, back in 2007, a friend lowered his two inches. I followed him out of the neighborhood where he lived to go for a ride. He was scraping his pegs going around corners in the neighborhood at slow speeds. Where I wasn't. And I have my stock shock set on #1, which lowers the bike about an inch. That is comparing my 2006 model to another friends 2006 model, which is still set on the stock #4 setting.

Last July I fitted Coastal Moto rims with a ten inch/280 in the back, and a 4.25/140-70 up front. That taller 140/70 actually lifts the front a bit compared to a 130/70. I don't scrape nearly as often since putting that tire on the bike.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Rob, my understanding is that Frank’s mod doesn’t involve altering the height of the frame of the bike. It’s only allowing for the metal rear inner fender to be lowered, which gives the same appearance as a 9 that has been lowered with Lowering Links, in terms of the wheel being more tucked inside the rear fender. If I’m correct, that would not alter the stock riding height of the bike, because the bike would yet have the stock bones in place.

Frank, please chime in, and clarify whether your mod actually lowers the stock ride height or not.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Rob, my understanding is that Frank’s mod doesn’t involve altering the height of the frame of the bike. It’s only allowing for the metal rear inner fender to be lowered, which gives the same appearance as a 9 that has been lowered with Lowering Links, in terms of the wheel being more tucked inside the rear fender. If I’m correct, that would not alter the stock riding height of the bike, because the bike would yet have the stock bones in place.

Frank, please chime in, and clarify whether your mod actually lowers the stock ride height or not.
    yes its only the mudguard and fender that is lowered eh, boltholes shown in this pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suz wheel pic 13.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	385920  

I would imagine that lowering the tail section would cause the plastics to not line up though. Any pics with it all back together??

Seems like a brilliant trick!
    A lowered-ish look without the handling issues?!
    Winter mod - I'm checking out this idea for sure!!
    [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif[/IMG]

EDIT: Looked a bit closer today although without removing anything and I can see the metal plate Frank was referring to but can't see how that could be modified without creating equal gaps in the seat and/or surrounding plastics as mentioned. Hm. It's a mystery.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 10-20-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Angry Lowered M109

Lowered M109 and now have two complete circle digs in my rear tire. Where is the best place for tires? Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by badpitbull View Post
    Lowered M109 and now have two complete circle digs in my rear tire. Where is the best place for tires? Any help appreciated.

Shop around like we all do and find the best price. Wait for sales coming up like Black Friday possibly. Those sales tend to help quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same 2 stripes for over a year. Unless cords are showing and the mileage on the tire I say ride it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My recommendation is...Never take risk safety, especially as it pertains to your tires. When you lowered your 9, did you bother to cut/sand down your bolts/screws protruding from your metal rear inner fender toward your rear tire, to prevent that gouging in your rear tire going forward?