Killswitch as a turning-off method

Thread: Killswitch as a turning-off method

Default Killswitch as a turning-off method

Hello, folks. I usually turn off my bike by using the killswitch, but I was recently told that it's a practice that I should avoid because of damage on the electronics. Can anyone tell me if that's true or just some superstition?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I think someone may have been trying to influence you with their own personal belief/idea.

Here’s what I’ve been taught, both formally and informally...

On a motorcycle, a KILL switch has several purposes. The motorcycle KILL (or STOP) switch is in series with the ignition switch. When the KILL switch is open, the motorcycle will not start. Most motorcycletraining courses suggest that you get in the habit of using the motorcycle KILL switch to shut off your bike. Of course, subsequently you must remember to also turn off your ignition switch immediately afterward.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 10-15-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    I think someone may have been trying to influence you with their own personal belief/idea.

Here’s what I’ve been taught, both formally and informally...

On a motorcycle, a KILL switch has several purposes. The motorcycle KILL (or STOP) switch is in series with the ignition switch. When the KILL switch is open, the motorcycle will not start. Most motorcycletraining courses suggest that you get in the habit of using the motorcycle KILL switch to shut off your bike. Of course, subsequently you must remember to also turn off your ignition switch immediately afterward.
    Oddly enough when I took my motorcycle training course they recommended using the key to off the engine.... however I generally use the kill switch anyways lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Oddly enough when I took my motorcycle training course they recommended using the key to off the engine.... however I generally use the kill switch anyways lol
    I guess there seems to be different opinions, based on norms/beliefs in certain areas around the world. I’ve had my 07’ M109R since February 2009. I’ve been turning it off using the kill switch now for almost 11 years, and I’ve never had an issue with the kill switch malfunctioning. I honestly don’t believe it matters either way, since most ignitions in newer bikes are linked to the kill switch.

I totally ignore the kill switch. Never used one in the over 40 years I've been riding. Except for those exceptionally rare occasions where, for whatever reason, the bike refuses to turn over. And you find out your big thumb inadvertently hit the damn thing. LMAO!!

Been riding since 76. Never heard the ruomr that using the kill switch is bad for the bike. That's a good one. Mwahahaha!!!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I generally use the kickstand to turn the bike off, then remove the key. I haven't touched my kill switch in years. I'm still here alive and well and my bike runs as good as new. I wish I had your problems guys

Personally I use the key, the only use for the kill switch is when you're along side your mate at lights and you lean over and flick his off as the lights change, great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by breadfan View Post
    I generally use the kickstand to turn the bike off, then remove the key. I haven't touched my kill switch in years. I'm still here alive and well and my bike runs as good as new. I wish I had your problems guys
    I do this if I'm parking the bike pointing downhill. Where the possibility the bike might roll off the side stand. It happens. So, I leave the bike in first and put the stand down. Then roll the bike forward until the drive line slack is taken up. Bike can't roll now. Same if parking pointing uphill and it's somewhat steep. Otherwise, I just leave it in neutral and shut it off with the key.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I use the key to shut the engine off. Only time I use the kill switch is when I'm on an incline, and am going to park it in gear.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I use the key to power down the engine. I've accidentally hit the kill switch twice, once while cruising and once while parked. Powering down the bike with the key is a one step process. I don't have to worry about if I left the bike on or the key in the ignition switch.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

It's a logical AND circuit - the bike will not work unless the Kill Switch AND the Ignition (AND the Side Stand when in gear - same relay circuit as the kill switch) are engaged. Killing one before or after the other makes no electrical difference to the bike whatsoever.

It could however, cause you to forget your key.
    Or leave your lights on.
    Or tip over while the bike is running as you try to reach for the key first.
    Or continue rolling at speed with no oil pressure.
    Or any number of other ridiculous things.

But to your question - electrically, as far as the engine is concerned - it makes no difference.
    And I personally use it exclusively.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:45 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. A fellow M109r owner has given me that advise, which I have found rather strange, so I came here to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
    Personally I use the key, the only use for the kill switch is when you're along side your mate at lights and you lean over and flick his off as the lights change, great fun.
    haha you to, eh?
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

I began riding before there were kill switches, so I never became accustom to using them. When I taught motorcycle rider education in the 80s and 90s, the curriculum specified using the kill switch to turn off the engine. I taught the course according to the curriculum, but I didn't do as I taught, because I don't think it's necessary.

However, I use the kill switch when parking on an incline, so the bike is in gear when the engine stops. I do the same when transporting my bikes in the trailer. When the front tire is nestled in the chock, I stop the engine with the kill switch to insure that it is in gear and locked into position while I am attaching the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    FACTS! It's called a kill switch for a reason.

I've always used the kill switch to turn off the bike then turn off the key. It's just the way I've always done it. Probably a result of growing up riding off-road and dirt bikes that never had a key and only had a kill switch.

Interesting post. I always shut the bike off using the kill switch. Reason being, I always leave my bike in gear when I park. That being said, my clutch hand is holding the lever in so there is no free hand to turn it off by key. Have done that since I started riding, close to damn near 50 years. (started riding at a young age) Never been an issue

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

When parking on an incline, I use my kickstand to power down and leave the bike in gear.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
    Interesting post. I always shut the bike off using the kill switch. Reason being, I always leave my bike in gear when I park. That being said, my clutch hand is holding the lever in so there is no free hand to turn it off by key. Have done that since I started riding, close to damn near 50 years. (started riding at a young age) Never been an issue
    You only have one arm? You're holding the clutch with your left hand, what's your right hand doing? I turn off my key with my right hand, even if I'm holding the clutch with my left. Anyhow, generally when I shut mine off with the bike in gear, due to being on an incline, I just simply put the side stand down. Voila, bike shuts off. Sometimes I use the kill switch, but not often. Mostly I ignore it.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I use the kickstand with the bike still in gear to shut down. I have used the kill switch before, just not my normal process. The guy that says you shouldnt use the kill switch to turn the bike off because it can mess up the electronics.....Whats really the diff? You are using the kickstand switch to turn the engine off.

Well, it’s apparent that the conclusion to this topic is that many of us have different preferences and practices with regard to shutting off our bikes, and there’s no right or wrong method. My final thought is...whatever practice works for someone makes it the perfect method for them...and neither method is better or worse than the other.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    You only have one arm? You're holding the clutch with your left hand, what's your right hand doing? I turn off my key with my right hand, even if I'm holding the clutch with my left. Anyhow, generally when I shut mine off with the bike in gear, due to being on an incline, I just simply put the side stand down. Voila, bike shuts off. Sometimes I use the kill switch, but not often. Mostly I ignore it.
    LOL I'm not as flexible as I once was. So that works for me.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!