Metzeler me888 marathon ultra 160/60R18 direction

Thread: Metzeler me888 marathon ultra 160/60R18 direction

Default Metzeler me888 marathon ultra 160/60R18 direction

I know it has been on this forum a few times (if not tens of times), but I have a new 160 metz me888 coming in for my front and want to make sure it has to be run in opposite direction than the arrow showing since it's a back tire.
    Please confirm, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeStripe View Post
    I know it has been on this forum a few times (if not tens of times), but I have a new 160 metz me888 coming in for my front and want to make sure it has to be run in opposite direction than the arrow showing since it's a back tire.
    Please confirm, thanks.
    I am on my third 160 front tire. My first was a Metz and the second and third are Avon's. Metz suggests running the tire in reverse most likely to cover any liability problems. I run the tire the correct rotation and do not have any issues. Running the tire in reverse will force the water on the road to the center of the tire instead of forcing the water out when running the tire in the correct rotation. The Metz worked great when I lived in Massachusetts because the roads are much cooler than the roads in Florida. The Metz appears to have a softer compound that did not last long in Florida. I now use Avon's front and rear. I will be mounting a new Avon AV92 Cobra Chrome 260/40VR18 soon. Hope this helps.

I run an Avon 160 up front and in reverse. This is the (cautiously legal-safe) quote, directly from Avon, when I wrote them to confirm:

Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL_FROM_AVON
    As front and rear tyres are designed very differently, we technically don’t recommend fitting a front on the rear and vice versa. That said we are aware of many end users doing this with no issues and it would be very much up to you if you wanted to trial this fitment. If you choose to fit a rear on the front, be sure to reverse the rotation.
    Enjoy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    I run an Avon 160 up front and in reverse. This is the (cautiously legal-safe) quote, directly from Avon, when I wrote them to confirm:

Enjoy.
    Thanks!

Very Active Member

Yup, run it in reverse. Rear tires are made to with stand accelerating forces, front tire are made to withstand braking. So they're reinforced differently. Flip the rear up front because of this.
    I ran the 160/60 ME888 , great tire.

Just a word of caution, most places will look at you like you have 3 heads when you request flipping, some will flat out refuse or make you sign a waiver.

Very Active Member

Here's a pic of it before i swapped out the stock wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190517_184711_1571170546829.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	385850

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1000R View Post
    ... Just a word of caution, most places will look at you like you have 3 heads when you request flipping, some will flat out refuse or make you sign a waiver.
    ^^ true for me...