M109 Rider Forums banner

Metzeler me888 marathon ultra 160/60R18 direction

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NoSetFine 
#1 ·
I know it has been on this forum a few times (if not tens of times), but I have a new 160 metz me888 coming in for my front and want to make sure it has to be run in opposite direction than the arrow showing since it's a back tire.
Please confirm, thanks.

#2 ·
I am on my third 160 front tire. My first was a Metz and the second and third are Avon's. Metz suggests running the tire in reverse most likely to cover any liability problems. I run the tire the correct rotation and do not have any issues. Running the tire in reverse will force the water on the road to the center of the tire instead of forcing the water out when running the tire in the correct rotation. The Metz worked great when I lived in Massachusetts because the roads are much cooler than the roads in Florida. The Metz appears to have a softer compound that did not last long in Florida. I now use Avon's front and rear. I will be mounting a new Avon AV92 Cobra Chrome 260/40VR18 soon. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I run an Avon 160 up front and in reverse. This is the (cautiously legal-safe) quote, directly from Avon, when I wrote them to confirm:

EMAIL_FROM_AVON said:
As front and rear tyres are designed very differently, we technically don't recommend fitting a front on the rear and vice versa. That said we are aware of many end users doing this with no issues and it would be very much up to you if you wanted to trial this fitment. If you choose to fit a rear on the front, be sure to reverse the rotation.
Enjoy.
:bigthumbsup:

#5 ·
Yup, run it in reverse. Rear tires are made to with stand accelerating forces, front tire are made to withstand braking. So they're reinforced differently. Flip the rear up front because of this.
I ran the 160/60 ME888 , great tire.

Just a word of caution, most places will look at you like you have 3 heads when you request flipping, some will flat out refuse or make you sign a waiver.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replays! I just installed it and running opposite direction with counteract beads inside...that said I getting some vibration in my handlebars over 3 digit speeds (110-120 mph), feels like the tire is jumping up and down...wired, is anyone having same problem, what psi you running? I also have Corbin fairing and saddlebags, not sure if this has anything to do with it....

#10 ·

EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

I used the CounterActs as well (Avon 160/250 I think around 42psi), which dramatically smoothed out all my original headaches... up to about 140kmh/85mph. I wrote to CounterAct to ask "wtf" and they asked me what speed I was having trouble at. I told him, "Starts around 140km/85mph but by 160/100 the bounce is so wild I can't exceed 145kmh. This NEVER happened on my stock 130 with standard weights." To which he replied, and I quote,
CounterAct_Guy said:
"Yes, at such high speeds we would suspect a vibration to occur. This is not uncommon for racing applications.

Again, we cannot endorse high speeds with our product, we also have not performed testing at these speeds to come up with a solid number as per how many oz's to use in a tire that size. ..."
And in my head, I'm like... "Bro... do you even OWN a bike?!"

Anyway... so far I have had no solution. CounterAct recommended removing all the beads and start with 0.5oz in 0.5oz increments until the wobble went away. Sure. No problem. I'll just pour my beads out and start over... geezuz. Considering that RideOn goop or whatever the slime one is, but would still need to have my rubber removed and beads cleaned out. Kind of a huge PITA.
:verymad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.