Andys Build Thread- Transmission Issues. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andys Build Thread- Transmission Issues.

Eagerly awaiting the Black Friday codes to start ordering parts.
    Saw MeanCycles had a 5% code (TURKEY). The discount isn't huge and even after discount parts "seem" to be cheaper at www.oneidasuzuki.com

Pricing is as follows;

MC- $427.50 USD ($567.80 CAD) after discount. (REVO kit includes more plates than buying individually- NO GASKET)
    **With gasket and discount $450 USD (597.69 CAD)

1S- $394.19 USD. ($523.56 CAD) Includes only parts listed above plus gasket.

Yes, its not an apples to apples comparison. Based on this the One Suzuki setup is around $73.56 USD ($97.70 CAD) cheaper but is not a complete swap. My understanding is I'd have to reuse a few items.

Part of me thinks the extra money would be well spent to have a completely new clutch (REVO Kit) that can be installed with no issue. The cheapskate part of me thinks go the One Suzuki direction....

decisions, decisions....

Due to the exchange rate and only a 5% discount at MeanCycles, I'm likely going to pass on the EVO Shift star kit. Might get this at a later date.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the Black Friday codes to start ordering parts.
    Saw MeanCycles had a 5% code (TURKEY). The discount isn't huge and even after discount parts "seem" to be cheaper at www.oneidasuzuki.com

Pricing is as follows;

MC- $427.50 USD ($567.80 CAD) after discount. (REVO kit includes more plates than buying individually- NO GASKET)
    **With gasket and discount $450 USD (597.69 CAD)

1S- $394.19 USD. ($523.56 CAD) Includes only parts listed above plus gasket.

Yes, its not an apples to apples comparison. Based on this the One Suzuki setup is around $73.56 USD ($97.70 CAD) cheaper but is not a complete swap. My understanding is I'd have to reuse a few items.

Part of me thinks the extra money would be well spent to have a completely new clutch (REVO Kit) that can be installed with no issue. The cheapskate part of me thinks go the One Suzuki direction....

decisions, decisions....

Due to the exchange rate and only a 5% discount at MeanCycles, I'm likely going to pass on the EVO Shift star kit. Might get this at a later date.
    Make sure you are comparing prices with shipping included as well.
    Both Meancycles and Oneida are great places to get parts but sometimes Onieda's shipping prices can be on the high side......just something to be aware of.

Ive ordered from revo plenty of times
    it isnt over night or 2 or 3 days
    More like 6 to 8 weeks!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Both Meancycles and Oneida are great places to get parts but sometimes Onieda's shipping prices can be on the high side......just something to be aware of.
    Thank you for this. Luckily the order would be over MC's free ship amount so all in I feel they would be the better choice.
    I'll need to go a bit further with the checkout at Onieda to get an exact comparison.

My sister is flying home with the parts at Christmas as she lives in Houston now. Us Canadian's need to be creative when it comes to shipping as International shipping along with duty/taxes can really hurt the wallet.
    Taking a 30% hit on the dollar is bad enough...
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post
    Ive ordered from revo plenty of times
    it isnt over night or 2 or 3 days
    More like 6 to 8 weeks!!
    I'd be ordering from MeanCycles so fingers crossed its in stock. Did send a parts request email to confirm.
    2009 M109 LE

And MeanCycles for the win.

After discount and shipping factored in, MeanCycles price on the Revo Clutch kit and Gasket was $9 cheaper than the smaller parts list from OneideaSuzuki. (Oneidea's shipping prices were ridiculous)

Now I'll wait for my sister to fly home on Dec 23.
    2009 M109 LE

Good news, my sister received a large box from MeanCycles yesterday.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	59719525263__2348A627-D072-47A4-9E72-0D7F435BF035.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	386252

**Apologies, I cant seem to figure out why the site rotates photos?

Next week I'm going to try and tackle the "Pin Mod" so I'm ready for my parts. Thankfully I've got about a week off at Christmas so I'd like to get this all installed while I'm off.

Really hoping this is going to fix my shifting issues.....

more to come.
    2009 M109 LE

Happy New Year folks. Hope everyone had a great holiday break. We had a sick kid this year for Christmas so didn't get much time in the garage between that and other family.

Good news is I got my parts via my sister flying home with no tax/duty and baggage charges. And MeanCycles hooked me up with some great stickers for the beer fridge.

Still a few things to handle before I start the install.
    - Push Pin Mod- need 3, 2mm wide flat spots ground in the pin.
    - Want to find/rent the Honda tool to confirm the tubular nut is tight. (will add lock-tite)

Going to hit the local Honda dealer after work to buy discount tickets for the annual motorcycle show next weekend and will ask about getting the tool.
    My brother works at an HVAC contractor and we are going to try and grind the pin in his shop. A bit nervous about this but should be straight forward.

Will get pics tonight. More to come....
    2009 M109 LE

Thank you for this, I'll check that spring tonight.

I have changed out the front motor mounts for the harder OEM ones years ago. After checking my maintenance log, I've put about 20,000 km on those since install. Good chance I should just change all 6 to the new poly ones but that might be a mod for next year. If I cant figure out this clutch thing I'll have to try this.
    I have over 36,000 miles on my 06, never changed any of the motor mounts. Have zero issues with the transmission or shifting. The occasional shudder, but it's so rare I just deal with it IF it happens. Once or twice a year when the bike is cold. If it does it, it's only once. I'm not tearing into it at this point, I can deal with it.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I have over 36,000 miles on my 06, never changed any of the motor mounts. Have zero issues with the transmission or shifting. The occasional shudder, but it's so rare I just deal with it IF it happens. Once or twice a year when the bike is cold. If it does it, it's only once. I'm not tearing into it at this point, I can deal with it.
    Right on, seems like you've been lucky with that thing.
    2009 M109 LE

Right on, seems like you've been lucky with that thing.
    Yeah, guess so. It's also the reason I still have it, haven't had anything so bad happen that I feel the need to ditch it. Compared to my B-King, it doesn't vibrate at all. My King puts my hands to sleep within 10 miles. I wonder if a change of hand grips would help, the stock ones are pretty darn hard. Just changing gloves can get me another 10 miles. But that's thick winter gloves, too much for the summer.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

And winter is in full swing. Extreme Cold Warning in Calgary for the last few days and coming week.

Not a lot going on in the garage until things warm up.

Name:	IMG_2895.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	386438Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	386440
    2009 M109 LE

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...1692414001.htm

you will need for 2 car and a bike garage 45000 btu

-21 degrees pretty cold
    it was 75 and sunny at beach today
    Alot of good heaters around 600 bucks out their
    for garages

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan109r View Post
    https://www.menards.com/main/heating...1692414001.htm

you will need for 2 car and a bike garage 45000 btu

-21 degrees pretty cold
    it was 75 and sunny at beach today
    Alot of good heaters around 600 bucks out their
    for garages

-38C today. Sure could use a bigger garage heater....
    My garage is fully insulated and dry walled so its not bad being attached to the house. The wife's car adds some heat when she parks in it for the night. My little electric Walmart heater takes the edge off.

Wont be riding for a while so I'll likely just wait it out. Should be a balmy -9C on Sunday....
    Last edited by Andy33; 01-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    2009 M109 LE

Well, the temps final improved, got over the cold our family has been fitting, wife was out for the night, put the kid to bed. Now for a nice night in the garage wrenching.

• Finally got all the tools needed to get this job done. Why is it this bike needs a new tool(s) every time I work on it……

Was able to get a few hours in to file the push pin down, pull the plates and get to the tube nut. All and all a good night.

Push Pin- Got 3 flat spots on the pin. Did this by hand with small files. My only struggle was getting accurate measurements on the caliper. OD on the pin is basically 12mm. After filing it down in one area my measurements on OD were basically unchanged. In the end I made sure the flat spot was not wider than 3mm. My measurements are as follows. 2.59mm, 2.58mm, 2.86mm. As each are under the 3mm max measurement I hope this is enough to allow more oil in? Each flat spot is very small and is barely noticeable unless in the right light.

Name:	IMG_2958.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	386934Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_2957.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	386936

Pulled all the plates out. Some had some signs of heat and the final plate on the back side had the worn grove in it. Glad I’ll be replacing them all.

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	386938Attachment 386940Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	386942

Was able to get the 30mm nut off with ease. The nut was badly damaged from factory and trying to pry the bent area back was interesting. I think the last 2 threads are badly damaged and am questioning if this nut is re-useable. Currently its not threading on all the way. With try and clean this up but will check if I can just by the nut.

Pulled everything out and got to the Tube nut. Get this… it was barely finger tight…. Ya.. I was VERY surprised as I hadn’t experienced any shuttering. Thankful I made the choice to go all the way in.
    Did notice a lot of grit and grime on the basket. Lots stuck in all the groves. The main parts will need a serious cleaning before they go back in. Was very surprised at the amount of grime.

My next steps are to finish cleaning the parts to be re-installed and modify a 2-3/8"- 4wd Lock Nut socket to allow me to tighten the Tube Nut properly. Once ready I’ll soak the plates and prepare for install this coming weekend.

**Seems all my photos rotate 90 degrees to the left every time I upload. Have tried to rotate prior to upload to counter this, but no luck. Any help on this would be appreciated. What am I doing wrong?

More to come.
    Last edited by Andy33; 02-24-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: formatting
    2009 M109 LE

And got that tube nut tool ready. Took no time at all to grind down the 2 tabs and file the other 2 down to fit.

Name:	60489744228__9A9ADC97-4101-47AE-A8C8-9FC4FD1E01AB.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	386994Click image for larger version.

Name:	60489745281__40B803C1-5662-4C82-9B03-4654AE344CDF.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	386996

Next up is to finish cleaning everything before install.
    2009 M109 LE

Thanks for the updates,surprised your tube nut didn't back off completely..guess I can expect same loose nut..will have to modify that socket also..one more dose of winter today and then things should start melting away..built a insulated shed over the winter for the bikes.much easier to heat..9'$ up at my in-laws,so hope to get it back here over the next week or two and get started..
    Stav

And got that tube nut tool ready. Took no time at all to grind down the 2 tabs and file the other 2 down to fit.

Name:	60489744228__9A9ADC97-4101-47AE-A8C8-9FC4FD1E01AB.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	386994Click image for larger version.

Name:	60489745281__40B803C1-5662-4C82-9B03-4654AE344CDF.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	386996

Next up is to finish cleaning everything before install.
    Andy, can you clarify one thing for me? Where did you get the socket? Is that the Honda one, or one from a parts store that you modified?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxboost View Post
    Andy, can you clarify one thing for me? Where did you get the socket? Is that the Honda one, or one from a parts store that you modified?

Bought a 2-3/8" 4wd Lock Nut Socket from the local auto parts store. About an hour with a grinder and file to get 2 tabs cleaned off and file down the other 2.

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	387700
    2009 M109 LE

Bought a 2-3/8" 4wd Lock Nut Socket from the local auto parts store. About an hour with a grinder and file to get 2 tabs cleaned off and file down the other 2.

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	387700
    Nice. Thanks.

Oddly enough being locked in the house for 6 weeks with this COVID-19 situation, I find I have less free time to complete my bike maintenance.
    No childcare and working form home has really taken up my time.

Hit a few snags on the reassembly of the clutch. Trying to get the Tube Nut torqued down has proven to be harder than thought. Struggled getting it to the +100 ftlb as the motor still spins. (Yes I put a 17mm socket on the bolt behind the plug under the derby cover- just kept spinning)

Going to get an extra set of hands to help block the gears with some wood to stop them from spinning so I can loctite the tube nut down.

On the bright side, the clutch plates have been soaking for 3 days.....

Weather has improved a lot and I'm hoping to get the bike running so I can get a ride in asap. Need to get out of the house...
    2009 M109 LE

Got it!! Tube Nut is torqued to 105 ftlbs.
    With the help of a very nice person on Facebook (Harris), he walked me through wedging a piece of wood in the gears to stop the basket from rotating so I could get the nut tight enough. Needed an extra set of hands to hold the bike while I pushed on the basket and tightened it up. Was a lot easier than it sounds. Loctite is drying and I'll put the plates in later today. Will post some pics a bit later.

Did hit another snag, the #15 nut that goes on the center shaft is just not usable. While prying off the bent part the threads were damaged. to the point where i just cant get it on all the way. Ordering a new one today. Hopefully its in stock or only a few days out.

#15 Nut- 09159-24010
    #18 Washer- 09164-24008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	388134
    2009 M109 LE

Ok found some time this weekend to get the clutch finished.
    With the Tube Nut tightened properly I was able to get the plates in, install the new 30mm nut and washer. Hammered a portion of the nut down with a punch. Pressure plate went in and tightened the new springs down to 5 ftlb.

Was able to adjust the push pin and readjust the clutch cable. Installed the new gasket and put the cover back on.

The clutch plate change really wasn't that bad overall. My biggest issue was not being able to do everything from start to finish in one sitting. A lot of steps were unclear to me and I appreciated the help from a few guys on Facebook. Have transferred the helpfull hints to my bike maintenance spread sheet for reference later in case I ever have to do this again, or when the other local 9ers need a hand.

Lastly a bit of bad news.... I'm embarrassed to even type this but want my build thread to be legit good or bad.
    When reinstalling my battery from being on the charger all winter I mistakenly connected the ground wire for my Cobra Programmer to the positive terminal. (should be on negative) This turned the injectors on and fuel began to dump into the motor. With the kid, wife and radio playing in the garage I didn't hear the hum until it was too late. Gas had filled the motor and was pouring out the left air filter. Being very upset with myself I stepped away for a bit.
    I've now torn the bike apart again to remove both air filters (to be cleaned) and have pulled the spark plugs. Each stunk of gas and the #2 plug on the rear cylinder had gas spill out of the hole. Later today I'll rotate the motor with the 17mm bolt behind the plug under the derby cover. This should move/clear the fuel so I can dump the oil and change out the oil filter. Oil and filter were brand new and never run- such a waste.

Over night I wondered, do I need to re-soak my clutch plates now that they possibly have fuel on them? Are there any other concerns I should be dealing with after filling the motor with gas like this? New plugs, oil and filter change is a given. Also once I do get it running I was thinking to do a second oil change after running it to make sure everything is flushed out.

- I did hit the start button twice before fully noticing what happened. Only heard a click, the motor did NOT rotate or try and start.

Feeling very sheepish today, what should have been regular maintenance has turned into something a bit bigger. Will try and grab new oil and plugs today to hopefully get back on track. The weather has really improved and I'm missing out on good riding days. .

More to come.
    2009 M109 LE

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    A while ago I lost one of the small bolts that hold the front fender , so I ordered one from Oneida They charged me $1.75 for the bolt and $10.00 for shipping , so I ended up paying $11.75 for the damn bolt total .

Its Alive!!

After a ton of extra effort the bike is up and running.
    Due to me flooding the engine new plugs, fresh oil and filter and a cleaning of the k&n filters, it feels like a new bike.

Did get a chance to test ride the bike for all of 15min between some rain clouds. The new clutch plates and springs feel great.
    Extremely excited to get out for a longer ride and test everything out.

Looking forward to posting some pics soon.
    2009 M109 LE

Well, not much to report. Spent the weekend riding dirt bikes so the M just sat. Of course its heavily raining this week and the only day I'd even consider riding would be Sunday. We'll see how that goes...

Did get some mail.

Name:	IMG_3197.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	388526

New Dunlop E4's. Have yet to try these. Been using E3's for many years with good luck and figured I'd try the newer model since they are better in the rain.... 250/40/18 out back and 130/70/18 up front. Will run out the current tires a bit more before slapping these on.

Also got a USB charger to hook up to the battery.

Name:	61170913239__489E4D44-9589-4C30-8778-84975BBECA4B.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	388528

Had hoped for a trip through MT/ID this June and was going to use this to keep my phone all charged up but with the 'rona got me staying home. Plus the boarders are still closed.
    2009 M109 LE

Finally got out for a ride last Sunday. I sure have missed this bike...
    The new clutch feels incredible. I probably should have done this mod a season or 2 earlier.

Name:	IMG_3223.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	388604

Looking forward to getting out again soon.
    2009 M109 LE