Clutch Cable Popped

Thread: Clutch Cable Popped

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Default Clutch Cable Popped

Guess it was my turn.

Out for a midnight ride and snapped my clutch cable.
    Managed to limp her home with no trouble, had the roads all to myself that time of night.

It let loose in a good spot so there was no worries........but I would be lying if this though did not run though my head a couple of times after it happened.

"What if it would have popped as I was coming in hot to a light with stopped traffic, downshifting hard and really relying on the clutch to work?"
    Could get pretty squirrelly if it happened to give up the ghost at an inopportune moment.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 09-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Mine popped in the middle of the afternoon. Right turn at a red light. Fortunately everyone was at work. LOL! Managed to get to the next red light. No one there so I floated it for another right turn. Then through a neighborhood, floating all the stop signs. Got back to my apartment, managed to fob the gate open without stopping. Heading downhill toward my garage, having a hell of a time getting it in neutral. But at the last minute got it in neutral, fobbed the garage door open and coasted right on in for the win.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Mine went right after changing from 1st to 2nd. Had to make the decision, since I was 10 miles from the house, the gear to stay in so I chose 3rd. Not so low for the highway and still low enough to handle the slower areas with all the torque.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

hopefully some day you'll figure out how to make the hydraulic kit for our bikes. when we met you was trying to figure it out using m90s levers I think. I'm really considering converting over to hydraulic the kit is expensive but worth it

installed Hydro-C ~20,000 miles ago,..... never touched it since..... I keep a clutch cable on the wall in the garage to remind me why

I'll never spend the money for the hydraulic clutch. A spare clutch cable under the seat is a LOT CHEAPER.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Default Time for me

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I'll never spend the money for the hydraulic clutch. A spare clutch cable under the seat is a LOT CHEAPER.
    When my original clutch cable let go it was very "spongy feeling" I made it home shifting with the use of the tack. I now have a spare clutch cable under my seat. No need for the hydraulic clutch since it is not much better than OEM clutch cable. Over 63,000 miles on my nine and over 40,000 on my replacement clutch cable. Correct adjustment and lubrication is all you need.

Same. No issues since I changed the OEM cable but I do keep a spare on the bike.

The 06 cable was just a bare cable in the sheath. The new ones have a white teflon? coating on them.

The day before mine broke, it required a big adjustment at the bars. I should've known. And mine didn't actually break, the cable pulled out of the barrel on the bottom end. Still have the barrel on my tool box. LOL!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I have owned 4, M109's and logged in over 50k miles total. Never once had a clutch cable to break. I lube and adjust mine at every oil change. Vmax and Spyder have a hydrolic clutch, so no more worries.

Like cbxer said mine is an 06. I don't remember the mileage when it broke but it was a long long time ago. No issues since other than the nut at the engine end loosened up one time.

My original broke right around 20,000 miles. Back in 2013 or 14. Since I'm now just a few miles away from 36,000, and currently it feels just fine.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Richard is correct. Keep the cable lubricated and adjusted. A quick check under the boot of the hand lever end of the cable can reveal broken strands and fraying. Also, the clutch cable should be routed in such a way that the pull isn't excessively hard. The pull required on my 2006 is much greater than on my 2013; I assume because of a design change between the two bikes.

The clutch design changed in 2011. That's why the difference in pull between the two.

Fray could happen anywhere on the cable, top or bottom. Like I said above, mine didn't fray or break. The bottom end of the cable pulled out of the barrel that fits in the lever. Couldn't see that if you wanted to. But, if you ever have to make a large cable adjustment really suddenly, that's the giveaway.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Default Broken Clutch Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Guess it was my turn.

Out for a midnight ride and snapped my clutch cable.
    Managed to limp her home with no trouble, had the roads all to myself that time of night.

It let loose in a good spot so there was no worries........but I would be lying if this though did not run though my head a couple of times after it happened.

Could get pretty squirrelly if it happened to give up the ghost at an inopportune moment.

BCS
    Mine Broke on the way home from work was stuck two hours waiting for tow truck. I replace all my cable with steel braided ones. Pro motion for the Clutch cable and Barnett's for Push Pull Throttle. Finished it off with Spiegler steel braided brake lines.