Bike wins in collision with a car
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bike wins in collision with a car

  1. #1
    Very Active Member VzrDean1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Elora, ON Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default Bike wins in collision with a car

    I don't think win is the best term, but the trusty m109 sure came out on top.
    Last Saturday I had been out riding for the day with a group of friends. During the trip back from our Ribfest destination, we separated at different points along the way home. I had just turned onto my street, not 3 blocks from my house. A car in front of me signals right, then starts to slowly make her right hand turn. I pulled into the left lane to pass her, then bang. The front left corner of her car hit me rite at the brake pedal. She slams on her brakes immediately after realizing she hit me. With her stopping and my forward momentum, plus my rear brake pedal lodged into her plastic bumper, it rips the plastic bumper rite off her car. I was going slowly enough that I was just able to keep the bike up and get it stopped before plowing into a parked car on the left side of the road. All I could say when it was all over was "wow, that could have ended a lot worse"! I have no idea what she was up to, I didn't even ask. I figure it was one of 3 things. Either she started to turn right then suddenly changed her mind and wanted to go left. Or, she was making a u turn ( I suspect this was the case). Or, she saw an old man on a motorcycle, and decided she just wanted to kill him!
    End result, I had a bent brake pedal, which I straightened the minute I got home. She got a repair estimate of $1400 to replace the bumper on her 2018 Subaru.
    She phoned me a few days later, wanting me to pay for her damage. She decided it was my fault as I shouldn't have passing her! I need not tell you what I told her to do! 😂
    How often does a motorcycle get hit by a car, and come out of the accident on top eh? The m109 is a tough ol girl!
    Dean

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    232

    Default

    we get a lot of that manoeuvre in the uk too, a car wants to turn left or right , but swings out wide like an articulated truck has to do.
    had some close shaves like that too

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,105

    Default

    Glad you came out the other side ok.

    Close calls are bad enough, you don't usually hear of contact being made with a favorable outcome.

    The fact that you ripped the front end of her car off is pretty funny after the fact though.

    BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 09-20-2019 at 01:18 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Viper109R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Glad it ended well for you. If your in the states and you passed a car turning right you technically are at fault. All residentials are no passing zones and passing on the left out of impatience etc makes you liable. Car in front always has the right away. Unless of course it was a a 4 lane in which then you arent at fault.

    2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

  7. #5
    Very Active Member VzrDean1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Elora, ON Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper109R View Post
    Glad it ended well for you. If your in the states and you passed a car turning right you technically are at fault. All residentials are no passing zones and passing on the left out of impatience etc makes you liable. Car in front always has the right away. Unless of course it was a a 4 lane in which then you arent at fault.
    I may be at fault, don't know. It's for the insurance companies to work out. Police don't get involved up here unless there's more than $2000 damage, or someone is injured. I have an accident forgiveness rider on my policy anyway. We'll have to see how it all sorts out.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member Viper109R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VzrDean1800 View Post
    I may be at fault, don't know. It's for the insurance companies to work out. Police don't get involved up here unless there's more than $2000 damage, or someone is injured. I have an accident forgiveness rider on my policy anyway. We'll have to see how it all sorts out.
    Im hopnestly just happy you came out with no issues:) Rare a bike gets the best of a car:)

    2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

  9. #7
    Member Jeffro109's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9

    Default

    If you had changed into the left lane going the same direction, then she is 100% at fault. You should have gotten an estimate on fixing your bike, and made her pay for that. A lot of times people do not press it, because they feel bad for the person at fault being upset, but softballing it to them teaches them no lesson. Glad you kept it gathered up.

  10. #8

    Default

    Hi there
    Glad you are ok bloody car drivers in there old little world , most of the time they dont see us until it too late

    Darren

  11. #9
    Very Active Member mist82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VzrDean1800 View Post
    I don't think win is the best term, but the trusty m109 sure came out on top.
    Last Saturday I had been out riding for the day with a group of friends. During the trip back from our Ribfest destination, we separated at different points along the way home. I had just turned onto my street, not 3 blocks from my house. A car in front of me signals right, then starts to slowly make her right hand turn. I pulled into the left lane to pass her, then bang. The front left corner of her car hit me rite at the brake pedal. She slams on her brakes immediately after realizing she hit me. With her stopping and my forward momentum, plus my rear brake pedal lodged into her plastic bumper, it rips the plastic bumper rite off her car. I was going slowly enough that I was just able to keep the bike up and get it stopped before plowing into a parked car on the left side of the road. All I could say when it was all over was "wow, that could have ended a lot worse"! I have no idea what she was up to, I didn't even ask. I figure it was one of 3 things. Either she started to turn right then suddenly changed her mind and wanted to go left. Or, she was making a u turn ( I suspect this was the case). Or, she saw an old man on a motorcycle, and decided she just wanted to kill him!
    End result, I had a bent brake pedal, which I straightened the minute I got home. She got a repair estimate of $1400 to replace the bumper on her 2018 Subaru.
    She phoned me a few days later, wanting me to pay for her damage. She decided it was my fault as I shouldn't have passing her! I need not tell you what I told her to do!
    How often does a motorcycle get hit by a car, and come out of the accident on top eh? The m109 is a tough ol girl!
    Dean
    Can't say if you were right by going around her or not, as Viper says, not allowed in US, ateast states I rode in, but glad nothing happened to you. I deal every day with morons turning a small car like they are turning a Semi truck and never looking what's next to them.

    Here is a good one "bike won over a car". Last night I'm just riding to the gym, and this dumb bitch is coming from a store parking lot, crossing the opposite side of the road and joining my line on the side of the median, of course not looking. So I see her, blink 2ce, dumbass is looking down at something, probably her phone, so I crept up at some 20mph and when I was right in front right fender area, I lay down on my air horn that sounds like a semi truck

    Dumbass got scared, and rolled the wheel straight onto the median slamming both driver side wheels on the tall sidewalk edge.

    That should teach her a lesson.

    Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->