Headlight (bulb) upgrade options?

Thread: Headlight (bulb) upgrade options?

Default Headlight (bulb) upgrade options?

I can't be the only one that thinks the OEM headlight is a bit weak.

Having dealt with LED bulb fitment issues in the past, can anyone tell me what LED bulb (or other headlight upgrade) you have successfully done to brighten things up?

thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post
    I can't be the only one that thinks the OEM headlight is a bit weak.

Having dealt with LED bulb fitment issues in the past, can anyone tell me what LED bulb (or other headlight upgrade) you have successfully done to brighten things up?

thank you!
    CougarMotor LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit - 9005-7,200 Lm 6000K Cool White CREE - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NZ6F2..._--uGDbGG6Q2M9

Bought these. Used one on my C109 and now second on my M109. Plenty bright. No issues with fitment. Just make sure u get he correct bulb size. It was H4 if I remember

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mist82 View Post
    CougarMotor LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit - 9005-7,200 Lm 6000K Cool White CREE - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NZ6F2..._--uGDbGG6Q2M9

Bought these. Used one on my C109 and now second on my M109. Plenty bright. No issues with fitment. Just make sure u get he correct bulb size. It was H4 if I remember

Thank you!!!

Are you sure the bike is a 9005? Amazon says its a 9003

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post
    Thank you!!!

Are you sure the bike is a 9005? Amazon says its a 9003
    No, it's not 9005. I just sent you the link of the exact bulb brand I used. I did say it's should be an H4 (9003) if I recall the bulb type. You will have to look up a listing on eBay or Amazon. Should he around the same price for 2 bulbs. I see this one doesn't have the H4 but there are many listings with same bulbs.

Check this one

Cougar Motor H4 Led headlight bulb, 9600Lm 6500K (9003 High/Low) Fanless Conversion Kit - 3D Bionic Technology, 360°Adjustable Beam https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNPFBQR..._PhvGDb2WE2WPQ

It has been week since 2006. Click on the link in my signature, Bang for the Buck Mods and look under Safety. Hundreds of those kits are on 9’s across the world.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Look up the Cyclops LED bulbs. Don't know how it compares to the other aftermarket headlights as far as brightness, but its a lot brighter and clearer than stock.
    I replaced the turn signal bulbs with Switchbacks and they made the stock headlight look awful, as you can see in the first pic. That's what forced me to change it. The Switchbacks are worth looking into also if you'd like to have a little more light. (they flash amber)
    I don't have any pics of it at night but even in the bright sunlight you can see it's bright and clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0419191849b_HDR.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	385614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11609471-129Slayer~2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	385622  
    Last edited by Pockets; 09-18-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    Look up the Cyclops LED bulbs. Don't know how it compares to the other aftermarket headlights as far as brightness, but its a lot brighter and clearer than stock.
    I replaced the turn signal bulbs with Switchbacks and they made the stock headlight look awful, as you can see in the first pic. That's what forced me to change it. The Switchbacks are worth looking into also if you'd like to have a little more light. (they flash amber)
    I don't have any pics of it at night but even in the bright sunlight you can see it's bright and clear.
    I did the exact same thing. The switchbacks are great, but made the stock headlight bulb seem dimmer and more yellow looking. I ordered a Cyclops bulb and just installed it last night. I went with the "ultra" version that is even brighter. I haven't tested it in the dark yet but it looks much brighter in my garage. If you do a search on "cyclops" there are a lot of threads on this forum discussing the bulb. It seems a lot of riders like the pattern it emits vs. some other LEDs in out 109s. I haven't had a chance to check it for alignment yet but hope to later this week.

Note: Some of the threads say that you have to trim the rubber boot to fit around the fan assembly on the rear of the cyclops bulb. This is not correct. The bulb is actually designed so the fan can be taken off for installation and the rubber boot re-installed, then the fan re-attached. Its tight, but it fits.
    Last edited by meierjn; 09-18-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meierjn View Post
    I did the exact same thing. The switchbacks are great, but made the stock headlight bulb seem dimmer and more yellow looking. I ordered a Cyclops bulb and just installed it last night. I went with the "ultra" version that is even brighter. I haven't tested it in the dark yet but it looks much brighter in my garage. If you do a search on "cyclops" there are a lot of threads on this forum discussing the bulb. It seems a lot of riders like the pattern it emits vs. some other LEDs in out 109s. I haven't had a chance to check it for alignment yet but hope to later this week.

Note: Some of the threads say that you have to trim the rubber boot to fit around the fan assembly on the rear of the cyclops bulb. This is not correct. The bulb is actually designed so the fan can be taken off for installation and the rubber boot re-installed, then the fan re-attached. Its tight, but it fits.
    It is bright at night, and the pattern is great. The low beam is reflected against the top part of the headlight bucket so the light shines on the road where you need it and not in everyone's face.
    The ultra is only brighter when using the high beam because it runs the high and low beams both together. Non ultra the low beam goes off.
    You'll like that set-up with the Switchbacks. I've been running mine all summer, 7000 miles, and still working great.
    And that's correct about the installation. NO TRIMMING NEEDED

i like AUXBEAM

"You cant argue with my 9mm..........well you can, but you'll end up bleeding alot"
    RUBZERK = Are You BZERK

Very Active Member

Just toss in a Sylvania Silver Star Ultra. Buy it at Walmart or any auto parts store. Excellent bulbs - very white light.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    Just toss in a Sylvania Silver Star Ultra. Buy it at Walmart or any auto parts store. Excellent bulbs - very white light.
    Would strongly disagree on this one. Nothing white about that bulb! I prefer crisp clean white light and only ZXE bulbs from Sylvania come somewhat close to that. Can't even come close to matching LED CRE or HID strength and brightness.

I've had them on my bikes, on my cars, tossed each one and replaced with something that is actually white.

If you want stock light, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    They are a good bulb. I have a set in my snowmobile. Nice and bright and durable. I think my Cyclops may have them beat though. I hope to get the bike out this weekend in the evening to have a look at it in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    What model switchback bulbs did you get? Trying to get my headlight and turn signals brighter. Thanks

I am *one* impulse buy away from doing an HID projector retrofit...
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/motorcycle-stage-1-single.html
    Actually had it in my "cart" already and backed out but keep pining away looking at it.
    (already spent many $$$ for winter mods... trying to balance happy bike with happy marriage...)

But if you do it instead of me, then I can probably live vicariously through you for maybe another season.