M109 Rider Forums banner

Headlight (bulb) upgrade options?

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  MrBarros 
#1 ·
I can't be the only one that thinks the OEM headlight is a bit weak.

Having dealt with LED bulb fitment issues in the past, can anyone tell me what LED bulb (or other headlight upgrade) you have successfully done to brighten things up?

thank you!

#2 ·
I can't be the only one that thinks the OEM headlight is a bit weak.

Having dealt with LED bulb fitment issues in the past, can anyone tell me what LED bulb (or other headlight upgrade) you have successfully done to brighten things up?

thank you!
CougarMotor LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit - 9005-7,200 Lm 6000K Cool White CREE - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NZ6F2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_--uGDbGG6Q2M9

Bought these. Used one on my C109 and now second on my M109. Plenty bright. No issues with fitment. Just make sure u get he correct bulb size. It was H4 if I remember

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Look up the Cyclops LED bulbs. Don't know how it compares to the other aftermarket headlights as far as brightness, but its a lot brighter and clearer than stock.
I replaced the turn signal bulbs with Switchbacks and they made the stock headlight look awful, as you can see in the first pic. That's what forced me to change it. The Switchbacks are worth looking into also if you'd like to have a little more light. (they flash amber)
I don't have any pics of it at night but even in the bright sunlight you can see it's bright and clear.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
I did the exact same thing. The switchbacks are great, but made the stock headlight bulb seem dimmer and more yellow looking. I ordered a Cyclops bulb and just installed it last night. I went with the "ultra" version that is even brighter. I haven't tested it in the dark yet but it looks much brighter in my garage. If you do a search on "cyclops" there are a lot of threads on this forum discussing the bulb. It seems a lot of riders like the pattern it emits vs. some other LEDs in out 109s. I haven't had a chance to check it for alignment yet but hope to later this week.

Note: Some of the threads say that you have to trim the rubber boot to fit around the fan assembly on the rear of the cyclops bulb. This is not correct. The bulb is actually designed so the fan can be taken off for installation and the rubber boot re-installed, then the fan re-attached. Its tight, but it fits.

#11 ·
Would strongly disagree on this one. Nothing white about that bulb! I prefer crisp clean white light and only ZXE bulbs from Sylvania come somewhat close to that. Can't even come close to matching LED CRE or HID strength and brightness.

I've had them on my bikes, on my cars, tossed each one and replaced with something that is actually white.

If you want stock light, sure.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I am *one* impulse buy away from doing an HID projector retrofit...
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/motorcycle-stage-1-single.htmlActually had it in my "cart" already and backed out but keep pining away looking at it.
(already spent many $$$ for winter mods... trying to balance happy bike with happy marriage...):D

But if you do it instead of me, then I can probably live vicariously through you for maybe another season.
:bigthumbsup:

#15 ·
I am running a Cyclops in my 2013 Nine. It is very bright and very white. I don't think it penetrates as far as the OEM light, but it does a great job a legal speeds. My 2006 Nine has a modulating OEM headlight. I just installed another Cyclops in my 1800F VTX. These lights are far superior to the OEM bulbs in almost every way, but most important to me is how noticeable they are in the daylight.

#17 ·
I'm very curious as to a discussion on the merits and comparisons of the Cougar, JDM and Cyclops lights. The Cougars seem to be cheapest at ~ 40 / Pair, JDM ~ 60 / Pair and the Cyclops at ~ 80 / one. At the price delta one could ostensibly acquire 4 Cougar's for the price of 1 Cyclops, so even if they only last a 1/4 of the life of a cyclops you'd still have 3 more. What makes the cyclops worth $80 for one vs the cougar $20 for one? And how does the JDM compare to either? I also was wondering for anyone that has the cougar, does it have LED's on both sides of the center column? None of the pics I can find online seem to show or indicate that? I notice too that the cougar seems to have at least 1 row of 4 LED's (perhaps another on the other side) where as the Cyclops and the JDM appear to have 2 on either side and the one at the front has a half shield on it (I assume this is the low beam LED?). Why the difference? I have an LED bulb in now that came with the bike how I bought it, can't recall what it is at this time, but the Low beam has stopped working...while that's hardly relevant as I NEVER use the low beam, if it's stopped working my concern is the unit as a whole may fail sooner than later (I did check the fuses, they're fine so I'm assuming a unit issue). I'd like to get a decent replacement that is frugal but not cheap. While I'd love to get the Revo one, I'm not dropping close to $400 on a headlight, and I'm not sold on it's looks. So why should I drop 80 on 1 cyclops vs half that on 2 cougars?

#20 · (Edited)
Hey Mythos...
I like your approach - based on logic, facts and empirical comparisons. My personal experience in retail comparisons, especially Asian-sourced ones, suggests to me very strongly that the _Cougar_, _JDM_ and _Auxito_ H4 LEDs are all the identically single-sourced product, branded by individual retailers. For example, you can see from _this example_, the identical physical build merely with altered colours - a common technique as every seller will want you to believe "only" theirs uses the "best" chips and the "purest" aluminium, etc etc... but reality is rarely as impressive, especially from the prolific copycat abilities of those commonly Chinese suppliers - doesn't make them "bad" - LOTS of GREAT stuff is produced there... just make sure you're buying one over the other for the right reasons.

The Cyclops on the other hand, without researching it in detail (which I have not done) strikes me as their own personal design - regardless of where they had it built. However, I personally MUCH prefer the fanless designs (for ANY brand), because if (IF) fanless can sufficiently cool the emitters, it will beat a mechanical fan every single time (as is the case with computer towers - mechanical fans invariably die first or initiate failure). So I'm with you on the price comparison. Whether the physical emitter design and chips used in the Cyclops makes it better than any other style remains untested as far as I know.

As for the two sides of the Cougar et al., and the chip layout - I would first say the image on the Cougar page is *NOT* an H4 bulb being shown - likely just a "single beam" (h1/h7/9005) example being shown. H4 would require dual emitter zones and I have never seen one without a physical anti-dazzle shield - you can see what I believe is an identical manufactured H4 version at the AUXITO link. I would expect if you order an H4 from ANY of those 3 "branded" ones, you will (SHOULD!?) get an H4 dual-beam style as shown in the AUXITO ad, and with emitters on BOTH sides. I offer no opinion on any, including the Cyclops, being better or worse than any other.

For $20/bulb, I would agree with you - it almost sounds worth an impulse-buy test!
I already have a Philips LED myself (for which I likely overpaid for no reason... ha) so I have no need to try one out or I likely would also.

All of the above - just my personal 2-cent opinions and experience.
Good luck with your choice.
:bigthumbsup:

#18 ·
I love my Cyclops! I'm on my second one. Not because It died or anything, but because I wanted to upgrade to the newest model. I gave the original one to a friend and its still burning strong in his bike. Myself and two of my friends all have them and haven't had any problems at all and they are super bright! The only downside is after you get one your friends will want them, and then when they ride behind you they will blind you in your mirrors if they're in the wrong spots.

#23 ·
LED headlight bulb

I have ordered and received an LED bulb that reads manufactured for Chrome Glow/SportBike Lites by the original patent holder. I ordered it from Meancycles since it is a reputable source. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this LED bulb and is it any good.

#24 ·
I have ordered and received an LED bulb that reads manufactured for Chrome Glow/SportBike Lites by the original patent holder. I ordered it from Meancycles since it is a reputable source. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this LED bulb and is it any good.
i put this one in my bike and it looks like a night and day difference
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Bulbs-Upgrade-SEALIGHT-Warranty/dp/B07PSC4MFL

no experience with the one you mentioned.

#25 ·
Every time I had to ride at night the OE light annoyed me because of its lack luster performance especially with on coming traffic on two lane roads. I just installed the upadated Cyclopse H4 LED and wow the difference. Plus the mounting plate is removable as mentioned so installation is simple. I did slightly trim the small inner opening to shorten it a bit for a slightly less restrictive install. 👍👍👍

#26 ·
Every time I had to ride at night the OE light annoyed me because of its lack luster performance especially with on coming traffic on two lane roads. I just installed the upadated Cyclopse H4 LED and wow the difference. Plus the mounting plate is removable as mentioned so installation is simple. I did slightly trim the small inner opening to shorten it a bit for a slightly less restrictive install. 👍👍👍
Cool, I got the mini H4 from Meancycles,
what a difference I noticed. For anyone who does not have an led headlight, put it on your list because it"s a must have for safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.