Strange issue shifting between gears

Thread: Strange issue shifting between gears

Default Strange issue shifting between gears

Hello Everyone,

I encountered a strange issue for the second time in two weeks. This morning while riding on the interstate and shifting from 4th to 5th gear, the bike felt like it was in neutral. I downshifted to 4th, twisted the throttle and nothing, shifted to 3rd still nothing, held the clutch in and pulled to the side of the road, the bike shut off. I started it again shifted to 1st and continued my ride to work with no issues. This happened the first time when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the morning after I added a few ounces of Seafoam to the crankcase and gas tank. I have used Seafoam on my other bike with no issues. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or know what could be causing it?
    The bike is an 07 with 6500 miles on it. The clutch has been upgraded to a 2018 model.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Update: on my ride home, I noticed the clock has reset to 1:00. Could I have a battery or rectifier problem?

When you pulled in the clutch did the bike cut off at that moment or did it go to an idle? The title makes it sound like you think you have a shifting issue but was it actually a power failure?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    When you pulled in the clutch did the bike cut off at that moment or did it go to an idle? The title makes it sound like you think you have a shifting issue but was it actually a power failure?
    I think the Bike cut off because the first time it happened, I thought, I accidentally hit the power switch while rolling of the throttle. But I agree I think I have a power issue because the clock reset overnight while it was parked in the garage.

If you aren't blowing fuses then you may want to check first your battery including cables, second your ground, then probably your key switch and or handlebar switch.

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    If you aren't blowing fuses then you may want to check first your battery including cables, second your ground, then probably your key switch and or handlebar switch.
    OK, I will start with the Battery and lookup how to check the ground wire.. Thanks for the advice.

I installed a new battery on Tuesday. Wednesday, the bike ran fine on my commute to work and back but something is still not right. It doesn't sound the same and it's idling funny. So, I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

I just repaired my son's 1984 V-65 Honda. The battery was showing good voltage but didn't have any power to start the engine or even light a headlight. After replacing the battery the bike still wouldn't start. I found that the 30 amp main fuse was cracked and would allow voltage to pass through but not enough current to run the bike. I replaced the main fuse and all was good. Perhaps you should check your main fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I just repaired my son's 1984 V-65 Honda. The battery was showing good voltage but didn't have any power to start the engine or even light a headlight. After replacing the battery the bike still wouldn't start. I found that the 30 amp main fuse was cracked and would allow voltage to pass through but not enough current to run the bike. I replaced the main fuse and all was good. Perhaps you should check your main fuse.

Thanks for the update. The bike has been at the dealership for a week and half now. They are still troubleshooting it but they think it maybe an issue with a power bridge connected to the battery. They are going to install an inline fuse then take it for a ride..... so more to come.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HTM109R View Post
    The bike has been at the dealership for a week and half now. They are still troubleshooting it but they think it maybe an issue with a power bridge connected to the battery..
    Thats going to cost some $$$$$ if the dealer has been working on it for a week or more.

If you are having voltage issues you may also want to check the bridge connector near the upper frame rail on the left side of the bike near the tank.
    I cant remember off the top of my head but I think its a yellow or orange connector that bridges all the negative wires for most of the bikes controls.
    I have seen this burn up or come loose more than once and cause and cause big trouble shooting headaches.

BCS

Today, I feel like Chili's because I "got my Baby back"

I got my bike back from the shop and rode into work today. So far so good , no problems..... it feels stronger and it's shifting better now. They put an inline fuse on the power bridge and re-wired all my extra accessories to it. So now when I shut the ignition off everything shuts off. That sucks, if I want to leave the LED lights on while I'm parked but it's better to have a working bike. They also installed some type of collar connector on my Kuryakyn chrome clutch lever, they didn't think the clutch was fully engaging properly at times.