Bike won't start just clicks

Thread: Bike won't start just clicks

As the title say bike won't start just clicks and nothing fully charged batt. looked at flasher relay disconnected the power commander and trs... What else could cause this? Is there a way to turn the motor by hand to see if its locked up?
    Last edited by Slowmo12; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slowmo12 View Post
    As the title say bike won't start just clicks and nothing fully charged batt. looked at flasher relay disconnected the power commander and trs... What else could cause this? Is there a way to turn the motor by hand to see if its locked up?
    If you are 100% sure your battery is good & 100% charged and all connections to the battery, starter solenoid, starter and ground to the frame are tight.....

Then try sitting on the bike and aggressively get it rolling forward in with the clutch lever pulled and in 2nd gear, then let out on your clutch lever so the engine will bump over just a bit. (be aware that this will stop the bike instantly so do not drop it)

Then try to start the bike again and see if it will turn over.......very unlikely scenario but easy enough to try.

If that does not work then look again at your battery, starter solenoid and starter motor to see which is the culprit.

BCS

Thank for the input... Unfortunately I can't do that right now I just had surgery on my foot so I'm stuck on crutches doing what I can on crutches while trying not to put any weight on it. Do you know of a way using a socket to turn the motor over. I heard some people say check the negative wire and make sure it's tight but I can't find where it ends

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thank for the input... Unfortunately I can't do that right now I just had surgery on my foot so I'm stuck on crutches doing what I can on crutches while trying not to put any weight on it. Do you know of a way using a socket to turn the motor over. I heard some people say check the negative wire and make sure it's tight but I can't find where it ends
    The frame ground wire is on the right side of the bike behind the side cover.

You can see where it connects in the photo below. (#24)

If you remove your derby cover on your generator case you will see a plug behind this.

Remove this plug and you can insert a socket through this hole and turn the crank by hand. (See photo below)

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ground Wire.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	385528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turn Crank.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	385530  

Unless it is a brand new battery then I would take it and have it checked at an auto parts store. Could show charged but have a dead cell. Also make sure the cables terminals are clean with a wire brush.
    Is there a reason you think it seized? That would typically happen when riding and would be very eventful. Doesn't typically happen while sitting.
    Like BCS said probably bad ground, battery, relay, or starter and I would check in that order.

The only reason I even mentioned rolling the bike forward and popping the clutch in 2nd gear is I have seen it happen before where the bike stopped at just right point and the cylinder is still loaded up (for lack of a better term)

Rolling the bike forward a bit and popping the clutch with the bike in gear was just enough to rotate the crank a bit and get past this point and the bike fired right up. (Although I personally have never seen this happen on a 9)

Easy enough to try though and would only take a moment to do.....if you don't have a broken foot.

If I had to bet money on only what we know at this moment, odds are its going to be a bad battery.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.

Section 10-12 in the manual has the troubleshooting for starting.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MwBJgpMBeYY5vsVx6
    Last edited by UVATom; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UVATom View Post
    Unless it is a brand new battery then I would take it and have it checked at an auto parts store. Could show charged but have a dead cell. Also make sure the cables terminals are clean with a wire brush.
    Is there a reason you think it seized? That would typically happen when riding and would be very eventful. Doesn't typically happen while sitting.
    Like BCS said probably bad ground, battery, relay, or starter and I would check in that order.
    I agree and even a new battery can be crap. Confirm the battery is good then go from there. Check the main ground is also a great idea.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Thanks for the help guys. On the battery deal I use my friends battery off of his nine on mine still wouldn't turn over put it back on his and his bike fired straight up....

I will try the turn it over by hand in the morning see if that helps or if that shows me anything. To turn it over by hand do I need to remove the spark plugs?
    Ill then do the trouble shoot.

Once again thanks guys for what y'all done so far....me and my buddy havr looked for this info for the last week, week and a half trying to find this stuff out through tons of post.... I just hope this thing is not locked up luv my 9 just been having too many issues with it
    Last edited by Slowmo12; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:51 AM.

To just turn it over I wouldn't bother taking out the plugs. It would make it easier but should still turn over with a long enough wrench. If you have a friend then I would put it high gear give it a push and let out the clutch. I have roll started mine a couple times by myself with just the smallest of hills.

Very Active Member

Put a voltmeter on the battery and check your voltage before you turn on the ignition. Then turn on the ignition and check the voltage. Next try to start the engine and check the voltage at the same time.

Let us know what the three voltage measurement are.

Not to sound like a smart azz but make sure it is in neutral before trying to turn the motor over by hand. Could be overlooked very easily and end up very bad.

Dont know if you tried this but check the connector wires that connects the gas tank where you lift the tank up. It is really common for one or two of the wires to come out of the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by busato9 View Post
    Dont know if you tried this but check the connector wires that connects the gas tank where you lift the tank up. It is really common for one or two of the wires to come out of the harness.
    That connector would only effect fuel, which could certainly keep the bike from starting (from lack of fuel).

But it would not keep the bike from rolling over as the OP describes.

BCS

I think you should check the starter to eliminate it as the problem although I don't think I have ever heard of one having any issues. When you hit the start switch where does the click sound come from? If the click is coming from the starter you don't have enough voltage to engage the starter. I think you said the battery was good and you checked the connections so you may have a relay problem. Just spit balling here...

Good Luck
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Default Maybe?

My 2c,

Battery checks good.

Relay working how?

When the ignition is engaged does it click or a repetitive click?

One click means the relay is working. The starter is energized and not moving or it is not receiving power. Need to test continuity from battery to starter and battery to ground. If both good starter most likely seized.

Multiple clicks means the voltage is dropping off and building back up, some sort of short past the starter switch which is dropping the voltage when engaged.

I believe it is the starter or starter connection.

Jack