First time working on a Metric... Got some reservations

Thread: First time working on a Metric... Got some reservations

Default First time working on a Metric... Got some reservations

I work on Harley's mostly but I have a few buddies who ride metrics. Recently I picked up an M109 and I had to change the magneto cover because the last guy apparently laid the bike down and sent the shifter arm through the cover. I've come to realize this is pretty common on this bike. So as I'm changing the cover I'm dropping the oil as well and figure I may as well do the final drive while I'm at it. I have a digital copy of the manual so its going ok. I have the new cover on and the bike filled with motor oil. My reservations start though when I see another filler plug on top of the magneto cover. I don't see anything in the manual about putting oil in that cover... doesn't that come from the case oil? There is also a similar plug on the final drive. what are these for? I"m not a total idiot but theres got to be a reason for this stuff... Thanks for any info you guys can pass along to a metric rookie.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Engine oil only goes in one place. (where the dipstick is)

Final drive oil drains from the bottom and fills from lager opening to rear at center line.

The 3rd hole in the final drive is likely used on some other bike (that Suzuki uses this same final drive on) as a mounting point.
    A lot of guys have side mounted license plates and use the 3rd bolt hole in the drive as an attachment point.

Hopefully you did see in the manual that the M109 has 2 drain plugs for the engine oil.

The bike has a dual sump so you have to remove both drain plugs to properly drain the bike.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:06 PM.

yeah I got that from the manual. The one on the final drive you mentioned is interesting info. I'm more interested in the one on top of the magneto cover or as suzuki calls it, the generator cover. When taking the cover off there was a small amount of oil in there. On a Harley I'd be filling that with about 1qt of primary oil. But I can't find anything in the manual that says to fill any oil there which leads me to believe it comes from the block another way. Am I correct in that assumption? I'd hate to take this bike out for a rip now that its back together and not have oil in all the right places.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Typically just fill thru the dipstick and the bike will take care of the rest. Just make sure not to overfill because it will puke out the air filter. It has a really time consuming way of checking. Probably the worse thing about the bike. If you are taking off the covers then you will probably have to check and top off again after running it for a while. There is a small amount of oil in the clutches and the secondary drive too that doesn't drain when changing the oil.
    Last edited by UVATom; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:30 AM.

right on! thanks for the info. keep the rubber side down fellas.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crshoveride1 View Post
    yeah I got that from the manual. The one on the final drive you mentioned is interesting info. I'm more interested in the one on top of the magneto cover or as suzuki calls it, the generator cover. When taking the cover off there was a small amount of oil in there. On a Harley I'd be filling that with about 1qt of primary oil. But I can't find anything in the manual that says to fill any oil there which leads me to believe it comes from the block another way. Am I correct in that assumption? I'd hate to take this bike out for a rip now that its back together and not have oil in all the right places.
    No oil needs to be added through the plug in the generator cover.
    Oil only needs to be added in one place (at the dipstick) and you are all good.
    Normally add 3 quarts then start the bike and let it idle for a couple of minutes, then add the rest of the oil to top it off.
    Since the bike has 2 sumps you need to circulate some oil from the front sump to the rear sump before adding the full amount.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 1 Week Ago at 10:39 AM.

I'm pretty sure the plug your referring too in the magneto cover is an inspection hole allowing you to see the flywheel. It is marked to allow you to line up the crank to top dead center for valve adjustments.

SRK352 is spot on it's an inspection cover for the timing marks, there's no oil in there and you don't want any in there.