07 109R Hesitation in 3rd Gear

Thread: 07 109R Hesitation in 3rd Gear

Default 07 109R Hesitation in 3rd Gear

I own a 07 109R w/10k miles and just recently, I noticed, that when I hit it hard in 3rd gear, I get a bogg/hesitation. I don't get it in any of the other gears and when I ramp/accelerate normal in 3rd, it doesn't hesitate, but when I am cruising at around 3-4k rpm's in 3rd and hit it hard, it will hesitate every time! I would appreciate any help on this. I have replaced ECM, cleaned the injectors, cleaned fuel filter, cleaned the air filters, and changed the plugs. Still does it! Please help!
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

More than likely it has to with the way the stock maps in the ECU are arranged.

Lets get a bit more info from you about your bike.

What exhaust and intakes do you have on the bike?

Are you running a aftermarket fuel module or TRE on the bike?

When is the last time you replaced/checked the spark plugs?

Are you still running the original fuel filter?

What grade fuel do you use in the bike?

Is the bike ridden regularly or does it sit for long periods of time?

This info may help paint a clearer picture of your situation.

I see this was your first post so....... to the forum.

BCS

Thank you. I have been a guest many times, but decided to become a member.
    Pure stock. Have not replaced fuel filter, but cleaned.
    Replaced plugs recently. I only run 93 octane and higher.
    No aftermarket fuel module or TRE and I ride 1-2 times/week.
    Also, wouldn't it react the same in all gears if it was fuel filter or spark plug related?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by randyr View Post
    Thank you. I have been a guest many times, but decided to become a member.
    Pure stock. Have not replaced fuel filter, but cleaned.
    Replaced plugs recently. I only run 93 octane and higher.
    No aftermarket fuel module or TRE and I ride 1-2 times/week.
    Also, wouldn't it react the same in all gears if it was fuel filter or spark plug related?
    Probably but just trying to paint a picture of what has been done to the bike and when.

You could pick up a a A-TRE for around $50 and give that a try to see if will solve your issue.

Or for a bit more you can have the ECU flashed which will do the same thing the TRE will and a whole lot more.

BCS

Very Active Member

what country/spec is yours randyr ?

It is U.S. 109R.

Very Active Member

It is U.S. 109R.
    hmm strange its only affecting 3rd gear then eh, same mapping as 1st and 2nd, same transition from alpha-n to speed density,
    the 2nd ignition coils/sparkplugs kick in at high load (maybe that ?) and if it had been eu spec with o2 sensors then open looping kicks in at high load too (mine showed a big difference in 3rd compared to 1st and 2nd)

Thanks Guys. You guys know so much and I am such a dumb ass! I thought there were only 2 plugs (1/cylinder), but there are 2 more I need to replace. Hopefully that will be it. Will know later today.

Well, I am sincerely stumped! Replaced all 4 plugs, ran the Yamaha fuel med injector cleaner, confirmed correct air boxes, and still same issue (boggs when full throttle only in 3rd gear).
    It definitely seems air/fuel related but why does it only do this in 3rd gear? The response in all others gears is perfect! Are the injectors, 02/fuel tuned per gear? Also, if it was computer related, wouldn't switching out the ECM have solved it? Anyone that has any ideas, I would love an insight and help. THX.

Very Active Member

yours should,nt have o2 sensors, and runs purely from the embedded fuel tables
    the rate of change will be progressively lower as you go up the gears (held longer at full throttle) so any leanout in the 1 to 3 fuel and spark tables will be more apparent in 3rd

Thank you. It is making a little more sense. It is definitely lean and seems the injectors aren’t firing when I hit full throttle in 3rd. If I stay in the torture belt and ramp slowly, no problem. What would cause it to go lean like that? Would re-mapping fix it or a commander V? I think it would only cover up the inherent problem. Why wouldn’t it do it in 4th and 5th?

Sorry, to follow your lead further, what would cause lean out in the 1-3 fuel and spark tables? That seems to be what it is and it has everything to do with going lean at full throttle.

Also, I am fine with re-flashing my ecu if that will fix it. I thought by repacking the whole ecu, that would be a similar check. I did switch out the ecu and no change.

Oh yeah... one more thing. Pretty important.... it doesn’t do it when it’s cold. Only starts to do it after I have been riding 15 minutes and more. It doesn’t get any better/worse either after riding longer.
    Sorry for all the posts...just remembering stuff that probably means something.😀

We are going to be closed for the next week due to a hurricane headed our way.

But if you would like to try and run the modified ECU tune we have for the stock set up, I can hook you up with that after next week.

You have (almost) nothing to loose by trying it to see if it will correct the issue you are having.

If you don't like for any reason we will refund your money (minus any shipping charges) and put your ECU back to stock maps.

You said you switched ECU's, so does that mean you have a spare ECU already?

If not and you decide you don't want to have any down time due to mailing your ECU, we also offer a ECU exchange program for a few dollars more.

Hit me up again on Friday September 6th and we can go over the details.

If you would like to read a bit more on the ECU tune in the meantime we have some info on our company Facebook page in the first post on the page.

https://www.facebook.com/tunemyecu/

Fell free to message us straight from that page as well if you like.

BCS

Yeah...take care. I live in Michigan and I am keeping my eye on the storm. Safety first!
    Thanks for the advise. I may try it but yes, I have a buddy with a good running m109 (same bike, same year), and I switched out the ECU and my problem was exactly the same. no change.
    What is your price for to re-map my ECU? Will it improve HP and torque? How much different is re-mapping vs. Commander V. in performance improvements.
    Thanks again.

Hey BCS.
    I just accessed your link and I think i got it.
    I am interested in the ECU exchange program and would like to talk on the phone with you about it. Is that possible?
    Thanks.

Hey BCS.
    I just accessed your link and I think i got it.
    I am interested in the ECU exchange program and would like to talk on the phone with you about it. Is that possible?
    Thanks.
    I am sure we can arrange something in a week or so once this storm has passed and I am back on dry land.

BCS

Very Active Member

Sorry, to follow your lead further, what would cause lean out in the 1-3 fuel and spark tables? That seems to be what it is and it has everything to do with going lean at full throttle.
    all 3 gears may be leaning out but because 3rd accelerates at a slower/longer rate it causes a bog
    this is where factory o2 sensors are a valuable diagnostic tool, in this old vid of mine you can see the closed looping at cruise showing the o2 voltage bouncing at about .5v (the ecu switching from lean to rich 2 times a sec to maintain a constant 14.7 afr, tho my meter only has a refresh rate of 1 sec so its a bit hard to read)
    then when i floor it on the vid the voltage jumps to .9v (off the scale rich)
    and then when i lift the injectors cut and it goes off the scale lean (.1v)
    i tested my 109 in the same way with a digital 0 to 1v dial, the o2 sensors generate their own voltage, and the higher the gear the longer it took to break out of closed loop and run from the fuel tables
    you could retrofit a sensor maybe ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sfY4dVcqM

You need to check you TPS adjustment. It can cause funky issues like this if it is off. Also,I know you cleaned it, but the the fuel filter does create these issue to.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Thanks guys! How tough of a job is it to adjust the TPS? I have not been too far breaking down my bike. I think I can get to the throttle body, but to be honest, I don't even know where the Throttle Position Sensor is? I would like to try and adjust and see if that helps/hurts. Thanks again.
    Randy