Heated Grips

Thread: Heated Grips

Default Heated Grips

Iíve decided I want to upgrade my grips and Iím considering heated grips. So far Iíve been looking at the Oxford heated grips, does anyone have experience with these or other heated grips?

https://fortnine.ca/en/oxford-premium-cruiser-hot-grips

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have these exact grips on my 2019 M1800R. They work without a problem, are hot enough, I never had to use the 100% setting. Usually the 75% is too hot. The controller works great even with gloves and in rain. Also it automatically turns of the heating after about 2-3 minutes if the bike engine is not running (it has some battery protection built in). They are thicker than the stock grips (logically), which I actually prefer. The tips are in chrome and a bit darker chrome. Keep the spare pair in case you drop the bike, you can easily replace them.

Only caveat so far is that the chrome tips change color into copper-like due to the gloves rubbing the chrome off over time.

Other than that they are great and a good investment.

Just make sure you route the cables properly so that they don't interfere with your controls. Leave enough slack and route around controls with enough space. In my case the left handlebar had the wiring coming out from the bottom towards me and the right one had the wiring come out over the brake level away from me (but above the brake lever, not underneath it, so that it doesn't get in the way of the lever when braking).

I also asked about this on the Facebook group and seem to be getting mixed reviews on it, not the grips themselves though, so far everyone says they work well but one person suggested the cold wind basically cancels out the heat from the grip if thereís no wind protection.... which makes sense....

So Iím very torn what to go for.... I could get the ISO grips and heated gear for the colder days.... or get heated grips and getting extra warmth is just a button away

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Personally, if it's cold enough that I need heated grips, I drive. In any event, the two sets of heated grips I tried in the past, both were so effin rock hard, I couldn't stand them. I'd rather get a set of gloves that are heated versus rock hard grips.

I really need to ditch the factory grips on my B-King. They are rock hard as well, and put my hands to sleep within 10 minutes of taking off. Had to put a cruise control on it so I could take turns letting my hands dangle every 10 minutes or so. My Nine doesn't do this. So it's either the foam grips or it's the buzzy inline four of the King.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 5 Days Ago at 12:59 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I would get the heated grips and hand guard deflectors for wind protection.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    I would get the heated grips and hand guard deflectors for wind protection.
    Those hand guard deflectors, Iíll have to look into those

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHKDtW02XU

I believe itís just a heat strip
    under the grip ,once itís hot Itís hot!!
    Kind of like car heated seats
    I like the on off switch features this particular grip has.
    i donít have heated grips Just found this video to read reviews
    thought I pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Personally, if it's cold enough that I need heated grips, I drive. In any event, the two sets of heated grips I tried in the past, both were so effin rock hard, I couldn't stand them. I'd rather get a set of gloves that are heated versus rock hard grips.

I really need to ditch the factory grips on my B-King. They are rock hard as well, and put my hands to sleep within 10 minutes of taking off. Had to put a cruise control on it so I could take turns letting my hands dangle every 10 minutes or so. My Nine doesn't do this. So it's either the foam grips or it's the buzzy inline four of the King.
    Heated gloves get my vote. Never used them are they bulky?
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    Heated gloves get my vote. Never used them are they bulky?
    Don't know. As I said, if I have to use heated anything, it's too cold to even bother getting the bike out of the garage. 12 mile ride roud trip to work. Why bother?
    Last edited by cbxer55; 2 Days Ago at 08:32 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I've got the Oxford's on both my Concours 14 and the 9. Wouldn't be without them. Yes the back of the hands can still be cold if riding in really cold and/or wet conditions but keeping the palms of hands warm is fantastic. Like others i ride with them around 40-50% and only hit 75or 100% for short bursts as they really do get HOT.
    Even just for normal winter riding i have them on 40% as it just makes the hands comfortable.
    Have been through wet and heavy showers and with the heat on the inside of the hands, the gloves have dried out. Don't normally like to ride intentionally in the rain but often get caught out so wouldn't be without them.
    The glue does dry out and grips can come loose but i normally redo them with 2 pot epoxy and problem solved for another few years.

Great product, you won't regret it but will probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

air cushioned Avons IMO. not hard at all. had em on my previous bike and loved em. easy install too, aside from drilling hole through the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by RFM1009 View Post
    air cushioned Avons IMO. not hard at all. had em on my previous bike and loved em. easy install too, aside from drilling hole through the bars.
    Those ones look comparable to the ISO grips so that might be a good option, I definately want some comfort after as well lol

a little spendy. last time i checked, they were about $260, but i loved em. they got really warm.