M109 Rider Forums banner

Rifle windshield worth the long wait?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  NoSetFine 
#1 ·
I placed an order for a standard-sized Rifle windshield about 11 weeks ago (5/22/19), based upon recommendations here at the forum about it being an effective shield (albeit not the most cosmetic). I'm buying for function instead of looks.

The company has made no effort to contact or notify of any unusual delays since purchasing. Was about to contact them to cancel the order and issue a refund, but thought I'd ask here before doing so:

1) Is it typical to wait so long to receive this product? I've heard of people waiting a month, but not 3+.
2) Subjectively, is it worth waiting longer, or would a competing product offer comparable wind protection?

Was planning on a long highway trip next month, so I'd like to get something installed. I might cancel the Rifle and get something like a Suzuki Sport windshield instead -- appears similar enough, and can probably get it to my doorstep within a week. I loved the National Cycle Switchblade on my old C50, but was concerned that their M109R models wouldn't offer the same wind protection. I like riding around town without a shield, just wanted one for longer trips.

#2 · (Edited)
Does Suzuki still make the Touring shield for the Nine? It's noticeably taller, but fugly. I have had a Sport shield on mine, and can't tell it's there. But haven't had a shield on mine since 2014. All boxed up and never going back on the bike again.

The Rifle shield it total FUGLY. But if it's protection over looks you're after, go for it.

#3 ·
Does Suzuki still make the Touring shield for the Nine? It's noticeably taller, but fugly. I have had a Sport shield on mine, and can tell it's there. But haven't had a shield on mine since 2014. All boxed up and never going back on the bike again.

The Rifle shield it total FUGLY. But if it's protection over looks you're after, go for it.
I am very happy with my V-Stream Touring.

Makes riding the bike at high speeds much more enjoyable without the wind trying to rip you off the bike.

Bought mine at Meancycles and had it delivered to my door withing 3 days. (JC usually has them in stock)

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Wow that sucks - few things I hate more than bad service!!
I mean... that's what they DO, right? You send them money they send you stuff.
They had ONE job to do... gah.

Anywayyyy....

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the Rifle - I have seen others enjoying it, but never used one myself. I have the popular V-Stream Touring (tall one) and I love it. I am 6'0" and it removes ALL buffeting and pressure off my chest. At my height however, it can only push the wind up to juuuust above my visor, not quite clearing my head. Took a second to get used to that, but now I don't even notice. The difference for me however with the screen was NIGHT and DAY for ride comfort. Where I am from, there is a highway called the 17/417 northwest of Ottawa. The wind when I first got my bike on that highway *without* the V-Stream was actually terrifying!! I had to slow myself just to steady the ride. That section of highway is a constant, VERY violent wind-tunnel for some reason with virtually hurricane force winds all day, every day.

With the V-Stream, I barely noticed. Barely... I mean... we're still talking hurricane fkn winds, right? It's a sheet of polycarbonate, not a magical force field... Ha.

Anyway, if you search around you may find the SPORT (short) size fails to satisfy, and many end up regretting and switching to the Touring (taller) V-Stream. Yes, it alters the visuals more, but it also redirects more wind. BCS swore he'd never use one, and now that he has it, loves it. Ask him. :D

Good luck with your choice.
:bigthumbsup:

***SIDE NOTE: PLEASE ONLY BUY FROM REPUTABLE DEALERS. Do *not* try to "save" buying from a random Amazon guy or some other back alley type seller for this product. You risk a high probability of getting a knockoff, possibly in acrylic and risking your safety. ***

#5 ·
Update!

Just got off the phone with Rifle to ask about the status of the order, and the gentleman acted surprised and said that they will need to mill all of the parts. I asked, "So basically you haven't even started on it in 11 weeks?" He confirmed, then sheepishly said their machines were down for a few weeks. Uh... okay. (Translation: they completely fumbled my order).

I asked how long it would take for a refund, and he said that he didn't know, that only someone from accounting would know that. I told him to get someone from accounting on the phone. His phone suddenly rang and he started talking to someone else, then he accidentally cut off my phone call. He called back 20 seconds later and apologized for hitting the wrong button on his phone, and said they'd issue a refund by the end of the week. We'll see if they drop the ball on the refund as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, that was a cool experience! While Rifle products may be of decent quality, I've gleaned that their quality of service is possibly something less than 100% perfect.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies and advice -- I appreciate it.

I totally agree cbxer55, a lot of the shields are just plain fugly. Unquestionably. It's been emotionally draining trying to buy one for that reason. But the shield options we have are a little cheaper than a goldwing, and still better looking than duct-taping a cardboard box to the forks (which I've honestly been considering).

That's two of you vouching for the VStream, so I'll go ahead and try one of those. Do you guys have a preference on dark vs light tint? I think the dark looks better, but I do a lot of night riding and don't want to lose foreground visibility (we have more potholes than actual concrete here in KC).

#11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies and advice -- I appreciate it.

I totally agree cbxer55, a lot of the shields are just plain fugly. Unquestionably. It's been emotionally draining trying to buy one for that reason. But the shield options we have are a little cheaper than a goldwing, and still better looking than duct-taping a cardboard box to the forks (which I've honestly been considering).

That's two of you vouching for the VStream, so I'll go ahead and try one of those. Do you guys have a preference on dark vs light tint? I think the dark looks better, but I do a lot of night riding and don't want to lose foreground visibility (we have more potholes than actual concrete here in KC).
For an orange bike, I suggest getting the clear one. I think that it will look better, and will not destract from the looks as much when it is on the bike. Besides, if you decide you want to try the dark look, you can plastic dip the inside and have the black out look. Motor vehicle Vehicle Green Blue Automotive tire

#8 ·
LOL! Oklahoma is no different. Potholes R Us! Some big enough to swallow a bike if you're too distracted to notice it. I've seen them, SCARY! Mostly out in the country backroads are the worst offenders. But man, intersections here plain ass suck. Every one is a bumpity-bump affair. Almost as bad as washboard roads. Makes me want to give up riding sometimes. Buy an old land yacht from the 60's or 70's. Float like a tuna boat across them intersections. :D

#9 ·
The dark tinted, tall touring VStream works just fine.

Unless you are a midget you will be looking over it, not through it.

And if you are doing anything over 25 mph you are not looking directly in front of the bike anyway, by the time you brain registers anything you can see there you have already passed it if you have any throttle on.

BCS

#12 ·
The dark tinted, tall touring VStream works just fine.

Unless you are a midget you will be looking over it, not through it.

And if you are doing anything over 25 mph you are not looking directly in front of the bike anyway, by the time you brain registers anything you can see there you have already passed it if you have any throttle on.

BCS
^^^ this.
:bigthumbsup:

Note: National Cycle does not make a clear V-Stream for our bike, only light and dark tinted. "Clear" V-Streams for the M109R are not genuine National Cycle V-Streams...

#13 ·
Okay, thanks, I'll get the lighter tint Vstream and just add my own tint or vinyl-wrap it if I want it darker.

Rifle failed to issue the refund "by the end of the week" as they said they would do over the phone. I'm honestly shocked that members here recommend this company. I'm going to escalate the problem to Paypal to try to get my money back. What a mess this turned out to be. I regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.