Tank bag thoughts

Thread: Tank bag thoughts

Default Tank bag thoughts

Hey everyone, What are you all using for tank bags? I have one but it sucks! It’s to tall, had to cut a few zipper tabs off so they didn’t scratch anything and I’m alway worried about the magnets scratching the tank. So I’m looking at a cortech 10L. But I think those are geared more towards a Rocket style bike. Wasn’t sure how it would hold on over the speedo trim on the tank. I don’t want to strap one on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well, I've been using a tank bag on mine 13 years now. No scratches yet. Still the original paint. I do put one of those Suzuki tank bras on the back of the tank though. Keeps a part of the bag off the paint. I also, since I have a full length speedo bezel, put a soft rag on that before putting the bag on. Mine is an ancient Tour Master bag that I've had since like the early 90's. Still good and functional. It's also expandable. It can be low profile or undo a zipper around the whole bag and it can be taller.

Clean and wax the tank before using. And while out riding, before putting it on, wipe the tank with a soft rag to make sure nothing is on the tank to scratch the paint. 13 years and mine is still good, despite the claims back when, that the paint on these bikes is soft and doesn't have a clear coat.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member

I just ordered the Chase Harper 450 magnetic tank bag and some 3M clear protective film. Figured I would try it and see how well the film works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Probably not much help as both bag I have used are long discontinued, but for reference - I once borrowed a Joe Rocket Manta and it worked very well - beware of knockoffs however, the *magnets* on the Manta are not well replicated on cheaper versions.

I ended up with a Star (Yamaha) Cruiselite and currently love it. It was actually discontinued already when I found one in good shape on Kijiji and grabbed it. Straddles the tank dressings perfectly (by design - for cruisers) and with the full extension unzipped (it can be zipped to a svelt half-size or unzipped to Big Mac proportions) fits my Olympia rain suit top and bottoms perfectly. Now that I have a solo saddle bag I use the tank bag exclusively as a grab-bag for my rain suit.

The Cruislite is on the left of course, with the *bottom* of the bag in the top-left of the picture.
    The now often copied JR Manta is the other one. Cool feature of the Manta is the *flaps* which hold most of the magnets, tuck neatly into the side of the bag so you can carry it like a tidy Man-Purse when off the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha Cruiselite Bag.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	385182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manta Bag.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	385184

I’ve got a Jr Manta bag in the garage I’ll sell you cheap if you decide to go that route... i had it on an 1100 virago and never had any issues with it scratching the tank. The cell phone holder is kinda wasted space with the size of phones nowadays.

Not for me, I still use a good old fashioned flip phone. I can lose it in my front pocket easily. You can keep them big hunk of scrap "Stupid" phones.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 08-06-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have been using tank bags since 1989. One was a strap-on and the others were magnetic. They are great for expanding the carrying capacity of a motorcycle for long trips. The last long trip I took was on my ST-1300 and I kept my full-face helmet in the tank bag, for cold or rainy weather. I had a magnetic tank bag severely damage the paint on one of my bikes because a paper clip stuck to the magnet. Now I check and double check the underside of the tank bag before putting it on the bike.

If you haven't already bought a bag and are still looking for one let me know. I have a brand new Axio tank bag I bought and never used.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I have been using tank bags since 1989. One was a strap-on and the others were magnetic. They are great for expanding the carrying capacity of a motorcycle for long trips. The last long trip I took was on my ST-1300 and I kept my full-face helmet in the tank bag, for cold or rainy weather. I had a magnetic tank bag severely damage the paint on one of my bikes because a paper clip stuck to the magnet. Now I check and double check the underside of the tank bag before putting it on the bike.
    Holy crap - you had a HELMET in your tank bag?! Wow. I'm barely comfortable with a small club sandwich worth of stuff piled on there!

And *eek* for sure - I cringed as soon as I read paper clip... ffffawk....

Very Active Member the Other Orange 9's Avatar

I use the Manta Magnetic bag and put it on top of my tank bra, haven't lost it or scratched anything yet..... about 7 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Probably not much help as both bag I have used are long discontinued, but for reference - I once borrowed a Joe Rocket Manta and it worked very well - beware of knockoffs however, the *magnets* on the Manta are not well replicated on cheaper versions.

I ended up with a Star (Yamaha) Cruiselite and currently love it. It was actually discontinued already when I found one in good shape on Kijiji and grabbed it. Straddles the tank dressings perfectly (by design - for cruisers) and with the full extension unzipped (it can be zipped to a svelt half-size or unzipped to Big Mac proportions) fits my Olympia rain suit top and bottoms perfectly. Now that I have a solo saddle bag I use the tank bag exclusively as a grab-bag for my rain suit.

The Cruislite is on the left of course, with the *bottom* of the bag in the top-left of the picture.
    The now often copied JR Manta is the other one. Cool feature of the Manta is the *flaps* which hold most of the magnets, tuck neatly into the side of the bag so you can carry it like a tidy Man-Purse when off the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha Cruiselite Bag.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	385182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manta Bag.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	385184

I use the Cruislite bag on the left and it works great. Has an expansion option for extra stuffing if you need it.