M109 Rider Forums banner

Tank bag thoughts

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  LoBlo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, What are you all using for tank bags? I have one but it sucks! It’s to tall, had to cut a few zipper tabs off so they didn’t scratch anything and I’m alway worried about the magnets scratching the tank. So I’m looking at a cortech 10L. But I think those are geared more towards a Rocket style bike. Wasn’t sure how it would hold on over the speedo trim on the tank. I don’t want to strap one on.

#2 ·
Well, I've been using a tank bag on mine 13 years now. No scratches yet. Still the original paint. I do put one of those Suzuki tank bras on the back of the tank though. Keeps a part of the bag off the paint. I also, since I have a full length speedo bezel, put a soft rag on that before putting the bag on. Mine is an ancient Tour Master bag that I've had since like the early 90's. Still good and functional. It's also expandable. It can be low profile or undo a zipper around the whole bag and it can be taller.

Clean and wax the tank before using. And while out riding, before putting it on, wipe the tank with a soft rag to make sure nothing is on the tank to scratch the paint. 13 years and mine is still good, despite the claims back when, that the paint on these bikes is soft and doesn't have a clear coat.

#4 ·
Probably not much help as both bag I have used are long discontinued, but for reference - I once borrowed a Joe Rocket Manta and it worked very well - beware of knockoffs however, the *magnets* on the Manta are not well replicated on cheaper versions.

I ended up with a Star (Yamaha) Cruiselite and currently love it. It was actually discontinued already when I found one in good shape on Kijiji and grabbed it. Straddles the tank dressings perfectly (by design - for cruisers) and with the full extension unzipped (it can be zipped to a svelt half-size or unzipped to Big Mac proportions) fits my Olympia rain suit top and bottoms perfectly. Now that I have a solo saddle bag I use the tank bag exclusively as a grab-bag for my rain suit.
:doorag:

The Cruislite is on the left of course, with the *bottom* of the bag in the top-left of the picture.
The now often copied JR Manta is the other one. Cool feature of the Manta is the *flaps* which hold most of the magnets, tuck neatly into the side of the bag so you can carry it like a tidy Man-Purse when off the bike.
Tints and shades Luggage and bags Bag Auto part Font
Sports gear Grey Font Outdoor shoe Personal protective equipment

#11 ·
Probably not much help as both bag I have used are long discontinued, but for reference - I once borrowed a Joe Rocket Manta and it worked very well - beware of knockoffs however, the *magnets* on the Manta are not well replicated on cheaper versions.

I ended up with a Star (Yamaha) Cruiselite and currently love it. It was actually discontinued already when I found one in good shape on Kijiji and grabbed it. Straddles the tank dressings perfectly (by design - for cruisers) and with the full extension unzipped (it can be zipped to a svelt half-size or unzipped to Big Mac proportions) fits my Olympia rain suit top and bottoms perfectly. Now that I have a solo saddle bag I use the tank bag exclusively as a grab-bag for my rain suit.
:doorag:

The Cruislite is on the left of course, with the *bottom* of the bag in the top-left of the picture.
The now often copied JR Manta is the other one. Cool feature of the Manta is the *flaps* which hold most of the magnets, tuck neatly into the side of the bag so you can carry it like a tidy Man-Purse when off the bike.
View attachment 385182 View attachment 385184
I use the Cruislite bag on the left and it works great. Has an expansion option for extra stuffing if you need it.

#5 ·
I’ve got a Jr Manta bag in the garage I’ll sell you cheap if you decide to go that route... i had it on an 1100 virago and never had any issues with it scratching the tank. The cell phone holder is kinda wasted space with the size of phones nowadays.

#7 ·
I have been using tank bags since 1989. One was a strap-on and the others were magnetic. They are great for expanding the carrying capacity of a motorcycle for long trips. The last long trip I took was on my ST-1300 and I kept my full-face helmet in the tank bag, for cold or rainy weather. I had a magnetic tank bag severely damage the paint on one of my bikes because a paper clip stuck to the magnet. Now I check and double check the underside of the tank bag before putting it on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.