cold starting

Thread: cold starting

Default cold starting

is it normal for to have it start and shut off then star fine on the first start of the day?It didn't do it when I got it first but now I have 1900 kms and this is what its doing,starts fine all other times.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I'm going to say, "No, absolutely not normal..." (mine has never done this) but you should get some more technical replies shortly.

Are you waiting for the full priming cycle to finish (gauge sweep and fuel prime... about 4 seconds...) before hitting the starter?

No I didn't wait buit I never did and it was ok first when I got it.Only had the bike 2 weeks and this started in the last 3 or 4 days also I have been running 89 octane.Its not a big deal I was just wondering.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

You should wait a couple seconds before starting and should be running a higher octane fuel.

I should have mentioned that this is a M90 2017 model not the 109.

Quote Originally Posted by etuke View Post
    I should have mentioned that this is a M90 2017 model not the 109.
    Sorry, I didn't realize this was in the M90 section. I filter by active topics and it doesn't say what section.

Edit: Actually it does and I just noticed it.

My bad - I didn't notice this was for M90 either. I'm going to guess the answers are the same, but tried looking up the owner's manual to compare... man-o-man have you ever tried looking up a PDF on Google? You get 10,000 hits for total scammer credit card phreaks!! Wow. Had no idea stealing the credit information for people looking for PDF documents was such big business!

Aaannywayy.... couldn't find the manual, but in the M109R manual, it does specifically state in Canada minimum octane should be 90 and elsewhere "using the Research Method" (whatever that means), 95 octane. While I don't think that would cause a hard start, maybe it has dirtied your plugs? I'm just guessing now - not to mention I have no idea what the octane requirement for the M90 is...

Also, no mention of being required to wait for the priming cycle, but that seems to be common practice for 109's. Probly a safe bet for the 90 also?
    Good luck with your query.

Very Active Member

the idle control valve should be fully open when cold, taking input from the coolant temp sensor etc, so maybe a cts problem ?

I'm gona switch back to 91 octane see if that helps any.The manual is very confusing on the octane rating but I just looked at the service manual and it states at least 90 octane.Thought at a low compreesion ratio of the m90 it would be fine with regular fuel,I always used 91 in my ninja.

Still not sure that is your problem. I am guessing it's under warranty so maybe have them look at it.

started today with a bit of throttle and it stayed running no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by etuke View Post
    started today with a bit of throttle and it stayed running no problem.
    haha. classic. "It's a mystery."