Engine miss

Thread: Engine miss

Default Engine miss

Hello from Fort McMurray. First timer to site and on a Boulevard. 2015 M109r 985 kms. Engine miss all gears on steady throttle between 3-3500rpm. Good under load. All new fluids 2 tanks of cleaner ran through...still very noticeable thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Check your spark plugs boots---especially the center ones. They are known for not being on tight from the factory and coming loose from vibration.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Maybe check the fuel filter or air filters?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Check to see if the miss is in fact in all gears or only 1st to 3rd. Take your 9 up to a speed where you can safely shift it between 3rd and 4th paying attention to see if the miss is gone in 4th. If this is the case personally I would have my ECU Flashed, but you could install a XTRE and it should fix your problems. Suzuki in their infinite wisdom retarded the timing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to meet emissions in North America and it can make the 9 run poorly in the first three gears.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Fishman349; 07-24-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lamoureux View Post
    Hello from Fort McMurray. First timer to site and on a Boulevard. 2015 M109r 985 kms. Engine miss all gears on steady throttle between 3-3500rpm. Good under load. All new fluids 2 tanks of cleaner ran through...still very noticeable thoughts?
    I'm having the same type of issue. I have a power commander fuel controller installed and it has been installed for a while now with 0 issue. My new issue is after riding for 20 mins and under acceleration the engine seems to miss randomly in all gears. I'm wondering if it might be losing connection to the crankshaft position sensor or the throttle position sensor. Not sure. When it misses, it backfires so fuel is getting into the chamber. Just isn't being combusted. Any thoughts?

Pour some SeaFoam in your gas. If that helps with the spitting and sputtering for a short time i would say you need a fuel filter.
    Otherwise spark, fuel processor

M

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Check your spark plugs boots---especially the center ones. They are known for not being on tight from the factory and coming loose from vibration.

I've got a 2017 with only 1200 miles on it, have had this issue for several hundred miles, just took it apart this weekend and found that it was the center spark plug coils, they were not completely seated on the spark plugs. The front was only up a couple threads, but the rear was only hanging on by a couple threads, if at all. After making sure the coils were seated completely, this resolved the issue. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.......
    Last edited by Kratos109; 08-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Default Rough Running

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Apologies, neglected to state 2015 with 975kms on her. 2 sensors off and still no solve. Going after plugs and wires but after 4 hours I swear the tech should have known those could be an issue. Now I am grabbing at straws...and so is the tech by the sounds of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    I've got a 2017 with only 1200 miles on it, have had this issue for several hundred miles, just took it apart this weekend and found that it was the center spark plug coils, they were not completely seated on the spark plugs. The front was only up a couple threads, but the rear was only hanging on by a couple threads, if at all. After making sure the coils were seated completely, this resolved the issue. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.......
    Thanks, 4 hours Tech time and into this sucker! Couple of sensors were off spec but I wanted the machine back to original specs. Still running like crap and i swear it felt like it was like a cracked spark plug wire. Going to do this next!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodewster View Post
    I'm having the same type of issue. I have a power commander fuel controller installed and it has been installed for a while now with 0 issue. My new issue is after riding for 20 mins and under acceleration the engine seems to miss randomly in all gears. I'm wondering if it might be losing connection to the crankshaft position sensor or the throttle position sensor. Not sure. When it misses, it backfires so fuel is getting into the chamber. Just isn't being combusted. Any thoughts?
    Apologies for delay in response. I am not very good with diagnostics. I can only do minor mechanicals so far. Sorry man! Keep working on it. Will let you know if the coils and wire angle fix my issue.