Engine miss
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Engine miss

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default Engine miss

    Hello from Fort McMurray. First timer to site and on a Boulevard. 2015 M109r 985 kms. Engine miss all gears on steady throttle between 3-3500rpm. Good under load. All new fluids 2 tanks of cleaner ran through...still very noticeable thoughts?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member futurR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    2,384

    Default

    Check your spark plugs boots---especially the center ones. They are known for not being on tight from the factory and coming loose from vibration.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

  4. #3
    Very Active Member UVATom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Concord, VA
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Maybe check the fuel filter or air filters?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member Fishman349's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Check to see if the miss is in fact in all gears or only 1st to 3rd. Take your 9 up to a speed where you can safely shift it between 3rd and 4th paying attention to see if the miss is gone in 4th. If this is the case personally I would have my ECU Flashed, but you could install a XTRE and it should fix your problems. Suzuki in their infinite wisdom retarded the timing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to meet emissions in North America and it can make the 9 run poorly in the first three gears.

    Good Luck
    Last edited by Fishman349; 07-24-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

  7. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lamoureux View Post
    Hello from Fort McMurray. First timer to site and on a Boulevard. 2015 M109r 985 kms. Engine miss all gears on steady throttle between 3-3500rpm. Good under load. All new fluids 2 tanks of cleaner ran through...still very noticeable thoughts?
    I'm having the same type of issue. I have a power commander fuel controller installed and it has been installed for a while now with 0 issue. My new issue is after riding for 20 mins and under acceleration the engine seems to miss randomly in all gears. I'm wondering if it might be losing connection to the crankshaft position sensor or the throttle position sensor. Not sure. When it misses, it backfires so fuel is getting into the chamber. Just isn't being combusted. Any thoughts?

  8. #6
    Very Active Member 06MrMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Westmore, VT
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Pour some SeaFoam in your gas. If that helps with the spitting and sputtering for a short time i would say you need a fuel filter.
    Otherwise spark, fuel processor

    M

  9. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Check your spark plugs boots---especially the center ones. They are known for not being on tight from the factory and coming loose from vibration.

    I've got a 2017 with only 1200 miles on it, have had this issue for several hundred miles, just took it apart this weekend and found that it was the center spark plug coils, they were not completely seated on the spark plugs. The front was only up a couple threads, but the rear was only hanging on by a couple threads, if at all. After making sure the coils were seated completely, this resolved the issue. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.......
    Last edited by Kratos109; 08-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default Rough Running

    Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Check your spark plugs boots---especially the center ones. They are known for not being on tight from the factory and coming loose from vibration.
    Apologies, neglected to state 2015 with 975kms on her. 2 sensors off and still no solve. Going after plugs and wires but after 4 hours I swear the tech should have known those could be an issue. Now I am grabbing at straws...and so is the tech by the sounds of it...

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    I've got a 2017 with only 1200 miles on it, have had this issue for several hundred miles, just took it apart this weekend and found that it was the center spark plug coils, they were not completely seated on the spark plugs. The front was only up a couple threads, but the rear was only hanging on by a couple threads, if at all. After making sure the coils were seated completely, this resolved the issue. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.......
    Thanks, 4 hours Tech time and into this sucker! Couple of sensors were off spec but I wanted the machine back to original specs. Still running like crap and i swear it felt like it was like a cracked spark plug wire. Going to do this next!

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodewster View Post
    I'm having the same type of issue. I have a power commander fuel controller installed and it has been installed for a while now with 0 issue. My new issue is after riding for 20 mins and under acceleration the engine seems to miss randomly in all gears. I'm wondering if it might be losing connection to the crankshaft position sensor or the throttle position sensor. Not sure. When it misses, it backfires so fuel is getting into the chamber. Just isn't being combusted. Any thoughts?
    Apologies for delay in response. I am not very good with diagnostics. I can only do minor mechanicals so far. Sorry man! Keep working on it. Will let you know if the coils and wire angle fix my issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->