Magneto cover problems?

Thread: Magneto cover problems?

Default Magneto cover problems?

I don't know if this has been discussed or maybe I have bad luck. I was replacing a cover, the one with 13 bolts. I got to one of the bottom bolts, and while tightening it I heard a snap. Suzuki must make these covers very weak because I was taking it nice and slow. It cracked pretty bad right around the bolt hole. Now I'm trying to fix it with Jb Weld. I had 12 bolts in already and the last one cracked. Maybe because the part was used?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That cover is aluminum which in general is softer. If it cracked when putting the bolts back on, it sounds like the torque was off on the bolts. Can't say that I've ever seen an aluminum cover crack under presser. Split and punctured yes, but cracks generally happen when the part is really dried out. This is just my experience though. I suppose anything is possible.

Isn't that one of the covers that was plastic on 2006 models. All of the chrome engine covers are plastic. They went to metal in 2007. But changed back to plastic in 2011 or 2012 I heard. Aluminum does crack, but usually from corroding before hand. If it's a real hard aluminum, such as 7075-T6, it's brittle and can crack. I doubt that a high heat treat aluminum like that would be used in a place where plastic also works.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Isn't that one of the covers that was plastic on 2006 models. All of the chrome engine covers are plastic. They went to metal in 2007. But changed back to plastic in 2011 or 2012 I heard. Aluminum does crack, but usually from corroding before hand. If it's a real hard aluminum, such as 7075-T6, it's brittle and can crack. I doubt that a high heat treat aluminum like that would be used in a place where plastic also works.
    I have an 06 and the magneto cover he is talking about is Alum. The clutch cover on the other side is also Alum. All the other covers are plastic.