Fuel Light

Thread: Fuel Light

Default Fuel Light

So, when the low fuel light comes on, how many miles do we have left? I rode another 10 miles and put 4 gallons in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

"Miles Left" will depend on percentage of throttle being applied.

Not the answer to your question but certainly is a valid variable to the equation.

Suzuki list the fuel capacity of the M109R at 4.9 gallons. (maybe use .8 or .7 so you have some wiggle room)

So if you know the average MPG you get, multiply that buy .9 and you should be pretty close if you put in 4 gallons when you topped off.

I have run out a couple times before and coasted into the station dead empty a few times more, so I now make a habit of trying to fill the tank often.

After all it cost the same to keep the tank full as it does to keep it empty.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 1 Week Ago at 09:25 PM.

Just trying to get a gauge on when the light comes on, how urgent I should be. Haha.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mxboost View Post
    Just trying to get a gauge on when the light comes on, how urgent I should be. Haha.
    I am not one who looks at MPG very much but I can say that if you are not into the throttle, you can go a good bit before the light turns solid.....when that happens start looking for a station relatively quick.

But if you have the throttle to the stop you don't have very long at all.

I know that is not much help......others here who watch the MPG will chime in and give you a rough idea.

Remember that 75 mph cruising in 5th gear is only 10% (+/-) throttle position.......so that would not be considered "being into the throttle".
    BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 1 Week Ago at 09:33 PM.

Haha. Ok. I didn't even know the light would go solid. Good to know.

Light will blink when down under a gallon,when or if light stays goes solid you have about 10 miles left.I know for myself as soon as the light comes on I look for gas why push your luck.
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

Quote Originally Posted by k109 View Post
    Light will blink when down under a gallon,when or if light stays goes solid you have about 10 miles left.I know for myself as soon as the light comes on I look for gas why push your luck.
    That's the info I was looking for. Thanks k109. I did not get an owners manual with my 9. Picking up a little info here and there.

Ran mine down intentionally one time til the light went solid. Stayed in town driving a loop around a local gas station. So anyhow, everytime my fuel bar drops the first bar, it takes exactly 2.6 gallons, or half a tank to fill it. I consider it convenient to think of it as, when the first bar drops, you have half a tank left.

The light is kind of doing the same thing the reserve position on older bikes did. When the bike started stuttering and misfiring, you reached down and flipped it from main to reserve. It was always exactly one gallon when that occurred. So if you drove it sanely, you got whatever distance was equal to the maximum fuel mileage for whatever bike you were riding.

Thus when the light comes on blinking, you've flipped that petc-ck (I consider it totally ridiculous that the word petc-ck is blanked out. WTF, it's a damn motorcycle part) to reserve and have one gallon left. When I did that little test ride thing, I got around 20 miles before it went from blinking to solid. Went right straight to the gas station. I recall it took exactly 4.7 gallons to top it off to where it had been before. Which on a 5.2 gallon tank, means there was half a gallon left.

Even with half a gallon left, there is always a certain amount of fuel in any given tank that cannot be consumed. Maybe only half of that half gallon is usable. So yeah, 10 miles might be right. I don't intend to ever find out. Maybe in a Mad Max world.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 1 Week Ago at 12:30 AM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by k109 View Post
    That may be your experience, but for mine, once the light goes solid, I can go at least 30 miles before I fill up. All things being equal, gas gauge floats could come in to play here. Then upon filling up, it typically takes on average 4.8 gallons, which tells me I could have gone even further. I'm not a balls to the walls rider constantly, but I do my share of aggressive riding. My bike has always gotten good mileage. 40-45mpg typically. I have never freaked out rushing to look for gas once the light goes solid.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!