Exhaust question

Thread: Exhaust question

Default Exhaust question

I just bought a used oem exhaust but the lower pipe sounds like a screw or something is loose inside it when I shake it. Does anyone know what it is, or maybe I bought a bad exhaust?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Could be someone has drilled out the baffles and did not retrieve the slug.

Take a flashlight and look down the pipe, if you can see down into a ways they have been drilled out.

If they have not been drilled out you will see solid metal with no hole in it a short distance into the pipe.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 07-08-2019 at 12:46 AM.

They have been drilled out because I compared them to my old pipes. Is it possible to put the baffles back in and retrieve the slug?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jdirving View Post
    They have been drilled out because I compared them to my old pipes. Is it possible to put the baffles back in and retrieve the slug?
    Would be easier to buy another set of stock pipes that are not molested for $100 than to try to install new (other) baffles in the ones you have.

Get a telescoping magnet on a stick and shove up in there to see if you can retrieve the slug.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 07-09-2019 at 01:32 AM.

I cant see the video because my companies IT department has streaming video locked down.

But I think this is the correct video I was looking for.

Watch this and it should show you everything you need to know about debaffling the M109R........including retrieving a lost slug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XET-hhxPsqQ

BCS

I never see stock for $100, but I did pay $100 for these. I don't see how the magnet it going to get it. The thing you're talking about is a little circular piece, right? It looks like what I'm trying to get it past is too small? I'll try to pull it out tomorrow.

I never see stock for $100, but I did pay $100 for these. I don't see how the magnet it going to get it. The thing you're talking about is a little circular piece, right? It looks like what I'm trying to get it past is too small? I'll try to pull it out tomorrow.
    I am just guessing that it is the slug from when someone drilled out the exhaust.......I don't know that for sure because I can't see it.

But if it is then it should fit back through the hole.......It would have been a solid piece that was drilled out so it should be exactly the same size as the hole minus the thickness of the hole saw blade.

Who knows some guys just stick a pipe in there and bang away on it like an animal to punch though the baffles.....without seeing it we can only guess.

BCS

I see stock exhaust all the time for $100.

I have two sets hanging in the shop that I got for free, guys put on aftermarket pipes and end up throwing the stock pipes in the trash after they find no one wants to buy them.

Here is a set in for $150 and I am sure he will take $100 for them to get them gone......very few people want them, so they have no real value except for what you could get for scrap metal.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1279189568546/

There are lots of them laying around all over the country.

I know a few 9ers in the Dallas area and I can check with them to see if anyone has any if you find you need a different set.

BCS

I know you can't see it but it sounds like a screw, bolt, or drill bit. Can someone please tell me what is so great about aftermarket vs oem exhaust besides the look? Does it do anything for the performance that I can really feel?

Well, what I can tell you is...it’s a known fact that a 2 into 1 exhaust produces more power than a 2 into 2 exhaust. If you pair a good 2 into 1 exhaust with a good set of air intakes that allows for increased air flow, and then have your ECU FLASHED you’ll see a huge improvement in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Well, what I can tell you is...it’s a known fact that a 2 into 1 exhaust produces more power than a 2 into 2 exhaust. If you pair a good 2 into 1 exhaust with a good set of air intakes that allows for increased air flow, and then have your ECU FLASHED you’ll see a huge improvement in performance.
    Not to mention that typically after market exhaust is considerably lighter then stock so the power to weight ratio is also improved

I finally got it out. It took about 35 minutes. It kept falling back in because I was using a weak magnet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190708_213944_1562640556319.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	384728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190708_214010_1562640595061.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	384730  

I finally got it out. It took about 35 minutes. It kept falling back in because I was using a weak magnet

That certainly does not look like it was "Drilled" out with a hole saw.......I am guessing animal using a pipe and hammer technique to debaffle.

To answer your question about what is so great about aftermarket pipes compared to stock pipes.......

1) Aftermarket weigh half what the stock weigh.
    2) Aftermarket are much more free flowing because they do not have a catalytic converter in them.
    3) You can pour on the fuel when tuning with an aftermarket exhaust where you can't (or shouldn't) with a stock pipe.......again because of the catalytic converter.
    4) Majority of aftermarket exhaust have a better note (sound) than the stock exhaust......if you are into that kind of thing. (I am)
    5) As Bobby pointed out......Performance

Nothing wrong with stock pipes though if you are not planning to hop your bike up (too much) they look decent on the bike and will work just fine for years to come.
    But if you want to start tuning the bike and adding a bunch of fuel eventually you will damage the catalytic converter.
    This includes using a Cobra auto tune FI module, they really pour on the fuel during hard acceleration and will eventually be the death of your cat converter. (Though it may take a long while to happen)

Most vehicles with cat converters have Oxygen sensors in the exhaust for this reason, so they can regulate the fuel AFR and/or to monitor the condition of the catalytic converter.
    North American M109R's have no such sensors in the exhaust.

Glad you were finally able to fish that piece out.......you are the big winner, pick any small prize from the 1st two rows. (A little carnival humor)

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 07-09-2019 at 01:29 AM.

I already knew what aftermarket exhaust do, but I hadn't seen anyone talking about big dyno gains. How much is it to get the ecu flashed? I have looked at some of the aftermarket exhaust online for around $350, but I decided to take the cheap route for now. Most of the ones that I liked were $560 and up.

I already knew what aftermarket exhaust do, but I hadn't seen anyone talking about big dyno gains. How much is it to get the ecu flashed? I have looked at some of the aftermarket exhaust online for around $350, but I decided to take the cheap route for now. Most of the ones that I liked were $560 and up.
    I must have not read your post above correctly then when you said.......

Can someone please tell me what is so great about aftermarket vs oem exhaust besides the look?
    Must be my bad.

As for the ECU tune that will depend on a lot of factors so when you pick the exhaust you want PM me and we can discuss it if you like.

To be honest big dyno gains do not really seem to be what you are chasing anyway by what I read in your posts. You have to spend $$$ to get big dyno gains.

100% of riders are concerned with big dyno gains, when actually 90% don't really need that because they ride the bike just above the law on the street only and 85 -90 mph is about top speed for this majority, most of the time.
    HP is just for talking points unless you are running the bike and going to use that HP. Those ponies are not really released unless you are one who bangs the throttle to the stop.
    If you are not racing the bike and trying to pick up tenths of a second on your 1/4 mile times, honestly getting the bike to ride smooth and seamlessly throughout the rpm range is a much more important priority than "Big HP".
    You would not want to drive a race car on the street as your daily driver, you would use your Cadillac for that......still has plenty of power and get up and go, but is smooth and effortless to drive......same applies to your cruiser motorcycle.

Sounds like you have things under control though, have a good one and enjoy the ride.

BCS

Edit.......If those prices above are for new new exhaust I can tell you that we do not have a ECU tune built specifically for any of the $350 exhaust but maybe we can match you up to something that will work.
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 07-09-2019 at 01:59 PM.

I just assumed that most were doing it for the look and to be louder. I take my bike past 100 mph all the time, but I recall reading somewhere that there isn't much that we can do to our bikes for big hp gains. That's probably why most can't understand why Suzuki hasn't produced a more powerful engine for the m109 yet? I'm going to stick with the factory exhaust for now because the bike is plenty fast for me.

I just assumed that most were doing it for the look and to be louder. I take my bike past 100 mph all the time, but I recall reading somewhere that there isn't much that we can do to our bikes for big hp gains. That's probably why most can't understand why Suzuki hasn't produced a more powerful engine for the m109 yet? I'm going to stick with the factory exhaust for now because the bike is plenty fast for me.

If you should change your mind about aftermarket exhaust....I have a Vance and Hines Pro pipe (full exhaust) and the V&H fuel pak to go with it. All is in excellent condition. I sell it to a 109 bro cheap. PM me for a price.