wiring guru's chime in....I have an issue that's baffling me

Thread: wiring guru's chime in....I have an issue that's baffling me

Very Active Member

Default wiring guru's chime in....I have an issue that's baffling me

I'm on the final phase of my build and was doing some final testing today. I have something weird going on that I cant figure out. My battery died and I replaced it today with the Motobatt. I'm not sure if I had this issue prior or not, I never noticed it before.

So I have the LED tail light/ brake light/ turn signals wired up. I wired them using the stock plug. When I air out my air system, the right rear turn signal goes out for 3 seconds then comes back on. Only the right, only when airing out. Its fine when airing up. The air ride wiring isn't hooked up to anything that the rear LED's are, remember the LED's are wired using the plug on the factory harness. When not adjusting the air ride, the rear LED's work perfectly.

This makes no sense to me!!

On a side note, I don't like the terminal connectors on this motobatt battery. They are hard to get tight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Just make 100% sure they are tight or you will see all sorts of weird things happening and if you loose the connection to the battery when the bike is running you can damage the ECU.

BCS

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

See screen shot below from page 5-5 of the M109R service manual.

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Battery ECU.jpg†
Views:	28†
Size:	91.4 KB†
ID:	384702

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I’m pretty sure the battery terminals are tight right now. I’m not as confident they will stay that way.i don’t think that’s what’s causing the issue I’m currently having.

It’s like the air dump switch is causing a momentary ground or something that’s affecting the turn signal. But the air system is wired independently, it has no wiring in common with the rear turn signals, and even more strange it’s just the right side.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    Iím pretty sure the battery terminals are tight right now. Iím not as confident they will stay that way.i donít think thatís whatís causing the issue Iím currently having.

Itís like the air dump switch is causing a momentary ground or something thatís affecting the turn signal. But the air system is wired independently, it has no wiring in common with the rear turn signals, and even more strange itís just the right side.
    Sounds like a wire is getting pinched and causing a ground issue

Very Active Member

Maybe I’m looking at this wrong. I’m thinking the air dump wiring is affecting the turn signal. Maybe it’s the fact that the fender is dropping, that is pinching the wire for that turn signal. Each side turn signal has its own wire on the blinker genie. It didn’t look like it would be affecting it, but it makes sense. Although it’s still odd that it’s only for 3 seconds after I dump, then it comes back on. I’ll play with it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.