Loss of power while rolling on the throttle

Thread: Loss of power while rolling on the throttle

Default Loss of power while rolling on the throttle

Has anyone experienced their bike “choking” when applying the throttle? I have a 2018 that just turned 6500 miles. Recently rode over a very bad patch of gravel road (mountain road wash out); got kicked around like riding a bronco. Then it started; when applying throttle to accelerate, engine revs normally to 3k rpm then chokes. Looses all power and starts to stall. I back off the throttle and ride at ~22k rpms and all seems right. I took the bike apart last night hoping to find a vacuum line that had come undone. No luck. Everything is still tight. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tnardo View Post
    Has anyone experienced their bike “choking” when applying the throttle? I have a 2018 that just turned 6500 miles. Recently rode over a very bad patch of gravel road (mountain road wash out); got kicked around like riding a bronco. Then it started; when applying throttle to accelerate, engine revs normally to 3k rpm then chokes. Looses all power and starts to stall. I back off the throttle and ride at ~22k rpms and all seems right. I took the bike apart last night hoping to find a vacuum line that had come undone. No luck. Everything is still tight. Any suggestions?
    Possibly a bad tank of fuel or clogged fuel filter. Any mods done to your 9? Fuel controller, ECU flash, XTRE, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Possibly a bad tank of fuel or clogged fuel filter. Any mods done to your 9? Fuel controller, ECU flash, XTRE, etc?
    Bad fuel
    Clogged fuel filter
    Fuel pet**** valve (my old yamaha had not sure if the 109r has...I assume so?!?!?)

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Fuel pet**** valve (my old yamaha had not sure if the 109r has...I assume so?!?!?)
    Fuel injected bikes don’t have fuel shut off valve.

No mods. And the bad fuel was my first thought as I was limping home at 35 mph! I emptied the tank and refilled. No change, but you jogged my memory. After I refilled the tank, everything seemed to be working fine! I thought the gas was the the problem. Then after 5 min (when the bike got hot) the problem came back. So it seemed to have some relation to heat. I’m trying to troubleshoot any simple or obvious items before I have to bring it to the shop at $113 per hour! Thanks.

Whoa...you got me thinking. Maybe heat was a coincidence? Could there be something “floating” in the tank that could obstruct the fuel flow? So when I refilled the tank it stirred up; then settled back about 5 min into the ride. I have to go check that out now. Thanks again and I’d be interested in any thoughts.

No mods. And the bad fuel was my first thought as I was limping home at 35 mph! I emptied the tank and refilled. No change, but you jogged my memory. After I refilled the tank, everything seemed to be working fine! I thought the gas was the the problem. Then after 5 min (when the bike got hot) the problem came back. So it seemed to have some relation to heat. I’m trying to troubleshoot any simple or obvious items before I have to bring it to the shop at $113 per hour! Thanks.

Whoa...you got me thinking. Maybe heat was a coincidence? Could there be something “floating” in the tank that could obstruct the fuel flow? So when I refilled the tank it stirred up; then settled back about 5 min into the ride. I have to go check that out now. Thanks again and I’d be interested in any thoughts.
    Fuel filter is in the tank. If you had bad gas, my guess is that you need to change the fuel filter.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Another thing to look at is your clutch switch.
    Have seen this happen before where the bike seems to be in limp mode if the clutch switch at the lever on the bars is not working properly.
    Sounds crazy and I would not believe it myself if I did not see it with my own 2 eyes.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Fuel injected bikes don’t have fuel shut off valve.
    I guess it's rare then...my old 2012 yamaha stryker was fuel injected and did have a fuel shut off valve which was notorious for getting switched to the off position

Thanks for the tip on the clutch switch. I’ll check it out.

Problem solved for anyone interested. Main connector to the ECU was loose. Disconnected the battery; made sure ALL electrical connections were good. Hooked up the battery and rode for 4 hours today without an issue. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.