Hole Saw stuck in exhaust.... HELP

Thread: Hole Saw stuck in exhaust.... HELP

Default Hole Saw stuck in exhaust.... HELP

Ok let's preface this by saying how dumbtarded I feel for this but....
    I got a 1-1/4 hole saw and 20" 3/8 extension and used a socket to drive the hole saw. Well it was working fine, got the first plug out, went back for the second one, and now the hole saw won't pass back through the first hole
    I've tried a bunch of stuff and I can't get it out
    My next attempt will be to try and superglue the hole saw to the socket

Anyone got any better ideas??
    Signed
    Ashamed and frustrated

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

I realize this is slapping at the horse after its left the gate but.......you would be better off using a proper hole saw extension that has set screws to lock the hole saw arbor tightly in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-3.../dp/B0002438KI

To get the hole saw out out now you may need to get a strong magnet on a stick to catch the end of the arbor and guide it out.

You may have to remove the exhaust and hang it up so the mufflers are pointed down, that way gravity is working with you and not against you if you don't have any luck getting it out with the pipes mounted on the bike.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    I realize this is slapping at the horse after its left the gate but.......you would be better off using a proper hole saw extension that has set screws to lock the hole saw arbor tightly in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-3.../dp/B0002438KI

To get the hole saw out out now you may need to get a strong magnet on a stick to catch the end of the arbor and guide it out.

You may have to remove the exhaust and hang it up so the mufflers are pointed down, that way gravity is working with you and not against you if you don't have any luck getting it out with the pipes mounted on the bike.

BCS
    The right tools are so important, and now I'm paying for my impatience
    I'll give it another go tomorrow. New day
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Enlarge the outer hole slightly with the next size up to make it easier to get the first bit out.

Seems like the perfect excuse for an aftermarket exhaust if you were on the fence about going that route instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Enlarge the outer hole slightly with the next size up to make it easier to get the first bit out.

Seems like the perfect excuse for an aftermarket exhaust if you were on the fence about going that route instead.
    Not sure it will fit anything larger, but I do have a step grinder bit that may do that. Good idea, thanks
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

Sanding drum or rotary file will make the hole slightly larger.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

And what was the outcome?

Sent while not riding
    Live long and ride hard \\ //

Quote Originally Posted by Sneikz View Post
    And what was the outcome?

Sent while not riding
    I'll find out today. I applied my "JB Weld" mod last night and am letting it cure until after work
    I'll post up the results, hopefully good ones.....

Well the JB Weld did not stick ... I was not able to get the hole saw out. However after I thought about it it's no different than having the baffle plate in there in the first place and it doesn't rattle so I'm just not going to worry about it I guess. I'll almost certainly put pipes on it next year. Lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    Well the JB Weld did not stick ... I was not able to get the hole saw out. However after I thought about it it's no different than having the baffle plate in there in the first place and it doesn't rattle so I'm just not going to worry about it I guess. I'll almost certainly put pipes on it next year. Lesson learned
    Need to add one of a kind, performance hole saw exhaust baffle to your mod list in your signature.

Like I said earlier in the thread, perfect excuse to add aftermarket exhaust!

Need to add one of a kind, performance hole saw exhaust baffle to your mod list in your signature.
    This LITERALLY made me lol

Very Active Member

Are you turning the hole saw either forward or reverse as you gently attempt to pull it back out? Must be a folded burr on the opposite side of the hole. Using a dog-knobbed, rat tail file extension, can you file the edges of the offending hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    Are you turning the hole saw either forward or reverse as you gently attempt to pull it back out? Must be a folded burr on the opposite side of the hole. Using a dog-knobbed, rat tail file extension, can you file the edges of the offending hole?
    I can't get anything up in there to de-burr or grind out the hole. I've resigned myself to it being a "mod" at this point, and it's not really hurting anything. New pipes next year anyway

I can't get anything up in there to de-burr or grind out the hole. I've resigned myself to it being a "mod" at this point, and it's not really hurting anything. New pipes next year anyway
    I like the new signature!

Default Maybe this will work?

Ok let's preface this by saying how dumbtarded I feel for this but....
    I got a 1-1/4 hole saw and 20" 3/8 extension and used a socket to drive the hole saw. Well it was working fine, got the first plug out, went back for the second one, and now the hole saw won't pass back through the first hole
    I've tried a bunch of stuff and I can't get it out
    My next attempt will be to try and superglue the hole saw to the socket

Anyone got any better ideas??
    Signed
    Ashamed and frustrated
    I'm not sure I understand what your situation is but, maybe try using heat to expand the pipe while trying to remove hole saw. Either a blow torch not good on chrome or a serious heat gun. Also somehow, putting door lock graphite inside to lubricate the pipe?

Good luck!

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Cut them off and go Scorpion Tips

https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=215232

I like the new signature!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Hey I like those. No baffles I assume tho. I"ll have to look into them

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

The holesaw mod. 😂 Epic. 😂