Rear wheel install grease?

Thread: Rear wheel install grease?

Default Rear wheel install grease?

Just replaced my tire. Do I need to use special Suzuki grease on the drive side? Or just a skim coat of wheel bearing grease okay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gofasttoys View Post
    Just replaced my tire. Do I need to use special Suzuki grease on the drive side? Or just a skim coat of wheel bearing grease okay?
    Do you mean on the axle? If so yes, good wheel bearing grease is what you should use. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Clean it first also.
    Last edited by rynosback; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:16 AM.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Sounds like he is talking about putting grease on the splines of the driven joint on the rear wheel.

Suzuki does spec adding grease to the splines of the the final gear before installing the rear wheel.

Of course the manual is referring to after rebuilding the final drive, but it certainly cannot hurt to keep the splines of this gear greased.

You will also want to put a thin layer of grease on the axle before installing it as Ryan pointed out.

See print screen from manual below.

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Gear.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	384568  

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Sounds like he is talking about putting grease on the splines of the driven joint on the rear wheel.

Suzuki does spec adding grease to the splines of the the final gear before installing the rear wheel.

Of course the manual is referring to after rebuilding the final drive, but it certainly cannot hurt to keep the splines of this gear greased.

You will also want to put a thin layer of grease on the axle before installing it as Ryan pointed out.

BCS
    I think I used a Molly lube where you are talking bout, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post

BCS
    If he is talking about that final drive inner gear, I used Molly lube. Just use a little because it will sling out the excess all over the rim.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I grease mine every spring when I replace my tire. I wipe the existing grease off and then reapply new grease. Use a high temp wheel bearing grease

Very Active Member

I Honda Moly 60, which is specified for Hondas with shaft drive. It's expensive for a small tube, but it will last for years. Once you lube your finger to spread the grease, it's a bugger to wipe clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I Honda Moly 60, which is specified for Hondas with shaft drive. It's expensive for a small tube, but it will last for years. Once you lube your finger to spread the grease, it's a bugger to wipe clean.
    Yes it is very pricey stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Yes it is very pricey stuff.

I used this on the driveshaft and wheel splines of my Rocket III. Plan on the same with the 9 when I change tires.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I grease mine every spring when I replace my tire. I wipe the existing grease off and then reapply new grease. Use a high temp wheel bearing grease
    This, right here

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!