Final Drive Reassembly

Thread: Final Drive Reassembly

Default Final Drive Reassembly

Hi all, I had my final drive apart and am now in the process of reassembling. I see that the final drive gear bearing stop calls for 79 ft/lbs on reassembly. The bearing stop is similar to a shock collar in that it is not a standard nut and would require something akin to a spanner wrench to tighten, but that would not allow you to torque it. Of course, Suzuki sells a specialty socket for this but I’d rather not spend a lot of money on a tool I’ll use once. How have you guys dealt with this in the past? Is there another method for accurately torquing this bearing stop? Possibly someone has the Suzuki socket they would be willing to rent out with a deposit? Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Last edited by Macd7919; 06-28-2019 at 11:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Macd7919 View Post
    Hi all, I had my final drive apart and am now in the process of reassembling. I see that the final drive gear bearing stop calls for 79 ft/lbs on reassembly. The bearing stop is similar to a shock collar in that it is not a standard nut and would require something akin to a spanner wrench to tighten, but that would not allow you to torque it. Of course, Suzuki sells a specialty socket for this but Iíd rather not spend a lot of money on a tool Iíll use once. How have you guys dealt with this in the past? Is there another method for accurately torquing this bearing stop? Possibly someone has the Suzuki socket they would be willing to rent out with a deposit? Thanks in advance for any insight!
    For something like this, it might help to either update your profile with your location or post it in the thread. Never know, there might be someone local to you that has what you need sitting in their tool box.

Seattle area is where Iím located but I would pay shipping if someone wanted to rent the tool. I can do the work, just wondering how others have approached it as I canít imagine everyone who takes it apart buys the tool....

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I donít know many who have had it apart. Mine was when I had it powder coated, but Chip at Simmons Motorworks did the disassembly / reassembly.

Have you checked with with your local Suzuki dealer to see if they would loan or rent you one?

The local dealer is....not particularly helpful. From past dealings Iím picturing them charging me at least $100 to tighten it which would be as much as the tool cost. Chip is on the other side of the country from me so by the time I got done with shipping and paying him, it probably would be about the same. Was hoping someone may have found an alternative method or would like to rent the tool. What did Chip charge to you do the work if you donít mind me asking? Iím assuming it included the two innermost bearings in there as well as they need to come out for powder coating and need a specialty tool for removal and installation.

Never had that end apart. Do you think something like the Gator Grip would work?

Problem is setting the torque...they call it a bearing stop so Iím assuming it may provide some preload to the bearing. I havenít looked at it super closely though. Would there be a way to torque it properly with a gator grip? Iím not familiar with the tool so will need to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Macd7919 View Post
    The local dealer is....not particularly helpful. From past dealings Iím picturing them charging me at least $100 to tighten it which would be as much as the tool cost. Chip is on the other side of the country from me so by the time I got done with shipping and paying him, it probably would be about the same. Was hoping someone may have found an alternative method or would like to rent the tool. What did Chip charge to you do the work if you donít mind me asking? Iím assuming it included the two innermost bearings in there as well as they need to come out for powder coating and need a specialty tool for removal and installation.
    I honestly have no idea. I shipped what seemed like half my bike to him for chrome and powder coating. He included labor for disassembly / reassembly in the price.

There are are a few members here that work on 9ís on a fairly regular basis. One of them might be able to give you some advice, help, or if there is an alternative tool that would work. FuturR, Some9, and BigPapaXCT are the first three that come to mind. Probably a few others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I honestly have no idea. I shipped what seemed like half my bike to him for chrome and powder coating. He included labor for disassembly / reassembly in the price.

There are are a few members here that work on 9ís on a fairly regular basis. One of them might be able to give you some advice, help, or if there is an alternative tool that would work. FuturR, Some9, and BigPapaXCT are the first three that come to mind. Probably a few others as well.
    Getting my wheels back this week so bumping this up...anyone have experience with this or the tool they would like to rent? Other option...anyone wanting to get their final drive dipped or coated? If so, maybe we could split the price of the tool....