M109 Rider Forums banner

It’s that time of year....JACKED!

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  FlyingCircus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hate I missed MAM by a week this year due to lack of attention to detail on my part (won’t happen next year). I leave Friday morning with 5 other riders to visit the Tail of the Dragon, along with ALL the beautiful surrounding roads of Tennessee/North Carolina, for my 6th time (FIRST ON THE ‘18 BOSS). My M109R, an HD Road Glide, two Honda Shadow 750’s, a Honda Goldwing, and a Yamaha R6. Anybody going to be in the area?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Trailering for 2 reasons:
1.) Two of us have no saddlebags to carry stuff in. I have a small solobag but that's not enough space to pack essentials.
2.) Have you ever tried to make sure a GROUP of guys leaves on time? This way I can say, "you ain't loaded on the bus, you're one your own". That usually does it.

Plus the guy with the Goldwing owns his own company and allows us to use 2 of his trailers at no charge...so we LET him tag along to say thanks hahaha. I'm kidding, he's a real nice guy. Four of us going are actually police officers and work together so it's always a great time to hang out and just ride.

#5 ·
Enjoy yourself, and be careful. Since you have been there multiple times, you probably know a lot about the area. A couple of new things to check out would be the long suspension bridge that is in Pigeon Forge, and also note that the Foothills Parkway has been extended by another 25 miles. It used to stop at 321 outside of Townsend, but now it extends up to 321 just outside Pigeon Forge. Have fun:bigthumbsup:.

#8 ·
Enjoy yourself, and be careful. Since you have been there multiple times, you probably know a lot about the area. A couple of new things to check out would be the long suspension bridge that is in Pigeon Forge, and also note that the Foothills Parkway has been extended by another 25 miles. It used to stop at 321 outside of Townsend, but now it extends up to 321 just outside Pigeon Forge. Have fun
It is so funny you mentioned the newly opened section of the Foothills Parkway...we are doing the WHOLE thing tomorrow afternoon before making our way up to Knoxville for some supper at Sweet P's BBQ & Soul House. Excited to check it out!

#7 ·
If you get the chance, I recommend the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. Nirvana for bikers-lots of old (but I think just US made) bikes. The neat part is that they actually run them most days. Cool little town as well.

Also, "the Snake" is another nice road, about twice as long as the Dragon-with fewer crazies.

#9 ·
Ridden through Maggie Valley NUMEROUS times but never gotten a chance to visit Wheels Through Time, it does sound interesting. However, we might need to avoid that area altogether this weekend, as Maggie Valley is hosting Thunder in The Smokies....it will be PACKED over there.

#11 ·
Well, we all made it back home this afternoon only having one incident. Friday our ride got delayed by an hour-long downpour. After it ended, it remained cloudy the rest of the day so the roads didn't dry as well as they could have if it were sunny. While making our way down a curvy backroad, our Goldwing rider laid it down. He didn't navigate a corner correctly and went off the side of the road. The frame of the wing hit the ground and threw him off at 15-20mph causing him to hit a couple mailboxes. By the grace of God he's ok, just some scrapes and bruises. Bike was actually still rideable although dirty and damaged. Crash bars prevented major damage. Other than that, the rest of the weekend was picture perfect and couldn't have gone any better. We ended up getting to the Tail of The Dragon later than expected Saturday and had the BEST runs up and down we've ever had, missing the majority of the crowds. And for those that have not experienced the Foothills Parkway (especially the newly opened section), put it on your bucket list! Breathtaking views and an amazing stretch of road, sweep after sweep through the mountains. Can't wait to do it again!

#12 ·
WOW, those views.
For sure I have to make it up that way next year.
We have some great weather and nice roads in Florida, but nothing that compares to that.
Looking forward to riding in the mountains for the first time. (Been a flat lander all my life) :p

Glad to hear your Honda buddy came out the other side in one piece.

BCS

#13 ·
WOW, those views.
For sure I have to make it up that way next year.
We have some great weather and nice roads in Florida, but nothing that compares to that.
Looking forward to riding in the mountains for the first time. (Been a flat lander all my life) :p

Glad to hear your Honda buddy came out the other side in one piece.

BCS
Let me know when you decide to make the trek BCS, I'm only 2 1/2 hours away from there and think I could swing a second trip to show you around! By the way, I'll be getting with you soon about flashing my ECU once I decide on an intake system, thanks for the work you do on this site!

#15 ·
I am planning to make the MAM in June next year.......see you there.

BCS

Unfortunately the MAM next year will not be in Maggie Valley next year. It will be in Staunton, Va. Still a nice place, but nothing like the Maggie Valley area when it comes to riding. But check out my post about our trip that we will be making in October. I would be more than happy to show you around the area. And yes, those are some of the most beautiful areas that I have ever been to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.