Rookie mistake.

Thread: Rookie mistake.

Default Rookie mistake.

Hi all did a rookie mistake and didnt think before doing.
    I am a heavy truck's mechanic in the past but bike is kinda new for me and wasnt aware thy can be so fragile.
    Was changing oil and feel like a f up the thread.
    Ordered new bolts and washer but Im freaking hope that is not the pan and only the bolts
    BUT if it is the pan did you ever use helicoil??
    I know that the bolts are m14x20 but what pitch incase I need to order the kit cuz ain't no body have time to buy and replace the pan.
    Thx

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Bolt is metal and pan is aluminium, so there's a decent chance you damaged the pan.

I've heard of people using helicoils, but you'll have to flush it since this will likely leave some shavings.

Did a search on the subject. You're not alone. You can read any of these threads listed below and find out what options you have. There's more than one available.

Stripped oil drain plug search results.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Its M14x20 by 1.25.
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

Better than a helicoil, but pricey: https://www.wiseautotools.com/time-s...-pan-m14x1-25/
    2008 M109R2 Black - Flat black rims, Smoked turn signals, K&N Replacement filters, 2006 Exhaust Debaffled, & HealTech GiPro A-TRE G2.

A few years back I did this too, and I can't blame it on being a rookie. I opted for a new oil pan rather than a helicoil, and here's my reasoning:

The helicoil will extend well beyond the thin oil pan, and it will make draining all of the oil difficult. The options I decided worked for me were to drop the pan and either drill and tap it to a larger size, or buy a new pan. While either would work, I bit the bullet and went with a new pan. As I recall, it cost around $160 dollars.

You can also get a self tapping plug, or a plug that mushrooms when you tighten it. I bit the bullet and now I always use my torque wrench.

EDIT: One more option I forgot - if you have a tig (or a mig for that matter) you can weld a bead after removing the pan, grind it flush, drill, and re-tap to original specs.
    Last edited by HyperPete; 06-20-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa