Anyone running Viking Lamellar bags?
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Anyone running Viking Lamellar bags?

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Sagle, Idaho
    Posts
    45

    Default Anyone running Viking Lamellar bags?

    Considering some hard bags for my bike. In doing some research, I came across these: https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-la...out-saddlebags

    Anyone have them on their 9? If so, would you be so kind as to post a pic? Would really like to see how they follow the lines of the bike. I had a set of Viking regular (semi-hard) bags on a previous bike, mounted with EZ Brackets. They held up well, but nothing but a hard bag looks right with the 9, IMHO. And the Corbins don't fit my budget.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:18 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    5,365

    Default

    No! No bags follow the lines of this bike. They all look like add-ons. Same as windshields. Buy at your own risk.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING


  4. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Sagle, Idaho
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    No! No bags follow the lines of this bike. They all look like add-ons. Same as windshields. Buy at your own risk.
    I don't like the looks of any bags-but sometimes practicality needs to win out. Somewhere to carry rain gear, pack some groceries, tools, and last but not least...beer! The Corbins look nice and do follow the lines of the bike pretty well-but I'm not Bill Frickin' Gates and can't afford them.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    No! No bags follow the lines of this bike. They all look like add-ons. Same as windshields. Buy at your own risk.
    cbxer55, dude, you crack me up. You know what I like about you? No guessing. There is no waffling with you about what you like and don't like - I can respect a guy with a strong belief who stands behind it. On this you never fail to impress.


    Idaho - As luck would have it in this case, there is actually more than one opinion on this topic out there. Lol. Here's mine for example: Bike bags (and windscreens - Vstream, FTW) are like fashion clothing accessories - sometimes useful, sometimes just for looks, always considered "beautiful in the eyes of the beholder." Personally, I am crazy for left side solo-bags, and absolutely love the Ham Design brand which I own (although it isn't much cheaper than Corbin hard bags...!). I also think there are well liked hard bags out there for those beholders who like them, like Corbin and Tsukayu. Some also enjoy Mutazu, although their website is having trouble at the moment.

    I had not seen the Viking hard bags before, although I also wasn't looking for them. Here are some Viking vids *here* and *here*. The locked-when-open complaint is common among Viking locking setups, soft or hard. Buddy has soft Vikings and after some initial quality-control issues upon receipt (bad glue damage from a label and minor stupidity - note that many complain about *crap* service from Viking and my buddy is on that list), he really likes the bags and they are so far very nice. I found them awkward by design (excessive velcro in awkward spots) but the hard bags in the videos look like they work more smoothly - note the one guy said he upgraded the hardware... this does not surprise me given their track record. Nice stuff, but they don't put a lot of attention to detail.

    Good luck with your search.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180521_182309.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	384186


  7. #5
    Active Member BIGSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Personally, I am crazy for left side solo-bags, and absolutely love the Ham Design brand which I own (although it isn't much cheaper than Corbin hard bags...!).
    Man I WISH I spoke Swedish so I could order one of those bags! Too bad they don’t have an English version, I have NO idea what any of it says 🤦‍♂️

  8. #6
    Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    Considering some hard bags for my bike. In doing some research, I came across these: https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-la...ard-saddlebags

    Anyone have them on their 9? If so, would you be so kind as to post a pic? Would really like to see how they follow the lines of the bike. I had a set of Viking regular (semi-hard) bags on a previous bike, mounted with EZ Brackets. They held up well, but nothing but a hard bag looks right with the 9, IMHO. And the Corbins don't fit my budget.

    Thanks.

    I felt your pain. I did Saddlemen bags last year. On 2 week holiday ride still weren't big enough and had to use Kriega backpack. That sucked cause I have Corbin seat with backrest and felt restrictive. I got the Tsukayu bags. Went from 21 liters per bag to 41. They follow the lines of the bike. Options for with signals or not, right side exhaust cutout or not. Option for paint match as well. Not as cheap as Viking bags but look way better, a few seconds for quick release when you want to go without.

    Like CBXER I never wanted windshield or bags because of it taking away from the muscle look. But comfort and convenience over ruled that. I don't just cruise around town or bar hop. Where I live it's always highway riding at faster speeds and I like to have tools, coffee, rain gear, extra layers of clothing, grab beer, food etc etc. I won't go without now but when I go to drag strip I can take them off in seconds Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bags.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	384190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ledge2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	384192

    from experience don't settle because of price. I did last spring and by fall I had these so I wasted the hundreds I spent originally. Trust me. You won't be happy until you get what you want
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:54 PM.

  9. #7
    Member david1blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    Considering some hard bags for my bike. In doing some research, I came across these: https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-la...ard-saddlebags

    Anyone have them on their 9? If so, would you be so kind as to post a pic? Would really like to see how they follow the lines of the bike. I had a set of Viking regular (semi-hard) bags on a previous bike, mounted with EZ Brackets. They held up well, but nothing but a hard bag looks right with the 9, IMHO. And the Corbins don't fit my budget.

    Thanks.
    Have the lamellar bags leather covered. Got rid of the turn signals to make them fit closer to the bike.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Sagle, Idaho
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david1blue View Post
    Have the lamellar bags leather covered. Got rid of the turn signals to make them fit closer to the bike.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the pictures, those ended up looking good-you were able to get them mounted in pretty close to the bike, which I like. I'm torn between these and the painted ones (either Lamillars or Tuskayus). EZ-brackets look better when the bags are removed than the other options I've seen. One thing I like about the "leather" covered ones is that I'd expect them to be a little more durable in at least one regard. It's awfully easy to unintentionally drag a boot when swinging a leg over. I think the leather would tolerate that better than the paint. Yours are the big "slant" bags, I'm thinking about the "extra large" non-slants. Sale on right now. Do yours clear the factory exhaust?
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:40 PM.

  11. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Sagle, Idaho
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I felt your pain. I did Saddlemen bags last year. On 2 week holiday ride still weren't big enough and had to use Kriega backpack. That sucked cause I have Corbin seat with backrest and felt restrictive. I got the Tsukayu bags. Went from 21 liters per bag to 41. They follow the lines of the bike. Options for with signals or not, right side exhaust cutout or not. Option for paint match as well. Not as cheap as Viking bags but look way better, a few seconds for quick release when you want to go without.

    Like CBXER I never wanted windshield or bags because of it taking away from the muscle look. But comfort and convenience over ruled that. I don't just cruise around town or bar hop. Where I live it's always highway riding at faster speeds and I like to have tools, coffee, rain gear, extra layers of clothing, grab beer, food etc etc. I won't go without now but when I go to drag strip I can take them off in seconds Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bags.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	384190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ledge2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	384192

    from experience don't settle because of price. I did last spring and by fall I had these so I wasted the hundreds I spent originally. Trust me. You won't be happy until you get what you want
    I'm torn. The Tsukayus have some pretty bulky brackets when you remove them. But to be honest-much as I like the looks of the bike better without them-practicality wins out. I commute nearly 100 miles a day and live somewhere with big temp swings. So carrying a spare sweatshirt, gloves, raingear, etc are always a factor-as well as needing to stop for groceries. So I really don't know how often they'd come off. One thing about the Vikings-instant gratification. They only have a couple day lead time, vs 5-6 weeks. By the time you figure the cost of a set of EZ Brackets into the Vikings, they approach the price of the Tuskayus. The stock Viking mounts (based on their soft bags I had) sucked to put on. And lack of a quick detach makes cleaning/servicing the bike a PITA.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:37 PM.

  12. #10
    Member david1blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, those ended up looking good-you were able to get them mounted in pretty close to the bike, which I like. I'm torn between these and the painted ones (either Lamillars or Tuskayus). EZ-brackets look better when the bags are removed than the other options I've seen. One thing I like about the "leather" covered ones is that I'd expect them to be a little more durable in at least one regard. It's awfully easy to unintentionally drag a boot when swinging a leg over. I think the leather would tolerate that better than the paint. Yours are the big "slant" bags, I'm thinking about the "extra large" non-slants. Sale on right now. Do yours clear the factory exhaust?
    Pretty sure that they should clear the stock exhaust. My exhaust tips have been shorted.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  13. #11
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTUF View Post
    Man I WISH I spoke Swedish so I could order one of those bags! Too bad they don’t have an English version, I have NO idea what any of it says 🤦‍♂️
    That should be the English link? Click the flag at the top - switches between Swedish and English. The designer, Micke, also speaks fluent English if you track him down to discuss an order.

    Could also use Google Translate.
    This should be English link.


  14. #12
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    ... from experience don't settle because of price. I did last spring and by fall I had these so I wasted the hundreds I spent originally. Trust me. You won't be happy until you get what you want
    ^^^ THIS!
    Buy right. Pay once.
    I didn't want to spend on my bag either, but SO so glad I saved for it first - was the right choice.

    "Experience is what you get, right after you needed it."


  15. #13
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david1blue View Post
    Have the lamellar bags leather covered. Got rid of the turn signals to make them fit closer to the bike.
    Slick. Well done - they look great with that colour/texture combo.


  16. #14
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    ...EZ-brackets look better when the bags are removed than the other options I've seen. ...
    I have the EZ Brackets for my bag (I also have an "auxiliary" Pelican box I run on the right when needed - laptops fit perfectly), and yes, they are very clean when removed - just a couple of discretely chunky stainless satin-polished studs, however the locking mechanism adds an inch or more between the bike and the bag. If "close" is important, you will need to balance the other features to decide if EZ's are for you. I have seen one custom setup where they actually modified the bag itself so the locking portion sat *inside* a recess in the bag itself - think: Water balloon wrapped around your fist (if balloon is the bag and your fist was the locking plate). Very expensive but then bag was nearly touching the bike.

    I can vouch for EZ being super heavy duty (and HEAVY!) and discrete when removed (which is effortless - turn key, lift off), but not super tight to the body when running bags.


  17. #15
    Active Member BIGSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    That should be the English link? Click the flag at the top - switches between Swedish and English. The designer, Micke, also speaks fluent English if you track him down to discuss an order.

    Could also use Google Translate.
    This should be English link.
    [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.m109riders.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif[/IMG]
    Lifesaver! Thank you for this! Will be getting an order together SOON!

  18. #16
    Member david1blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Slick. Well done - they look great with that colour/texture combo.
    Thanks, appreciate the love!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  19. #17
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Winter Florida, Summer Kentucky
    Posts
    526

    Default

    I kinda like these, but they are a bit on the small side. However, they are a whole lot better than nothing.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •