Such a good platform, why hasn't Suzuki built more models off it?

Thread: Such a good platform, why hasn't Suzuki built more models off it?

Default Such a good platform, why hasn't Suzuki built more models off it?

I'm pretty impressed with the job Suzuki has done with this bike-IMO perhaps the best "cruiser" engine in the industry. I have to wonder why they haven't built more "spin-offs" off the 9? It would make the basis of a great "bagger" with some nice bags and a fairing that follow the lines of the bike. And really, the engine would be great in a fully dressed touring bike, sort of a cruiser-styled version of the old Cavalcade. It really seems like this platform has a lot of potential that hasn't been utilized. Yeah, there is room for some updates even to the R. Throttle by wire, with cruise control, throttle modes, traction control, keyless start. Of course ABS. And a 6-speed transmission. The powerplant is pretty much the top of the V-Twin cruiser market. It has plenty of torque for an even heavier touring bike-seems like Zook is missing some opportunities by not even playing in these markets. After owning an Indian touring bike, I've become a big fan of V-twins for the narrow engine width that makes floorboards and forward controls possible (mostly due to old, broken up knees). But after that experience (lots of heat off the engine and poor performance) I'll never own an air-cooled bike again. I like the performance of the K1600 BMW or the Wing/F6B, but those wide straight or flat 6 motors seem like they really reduce your options for foot position. Not to mention that they just don't have the low-end power delivery of a big twin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

This issue/subject has been discussed and debated at nauseam on this Forum, and most have conceded that Suzuki has no interest in making any of the vastly suggested upgrades/changes to the 9. The collective Forum consensus is that Suzuki is simply and lazily resting on their laurels.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 AM.

Very Active Member

They did try a few variants, the R2 and the C109 come to mind.

But as Judah-9 mentioned, they rake in the money with the M109R and probably see no reason to change that.

It's pretty rare that a motorcycle in Suzuki's line-up goes so long without a makeover. Aside from a few minor changes, it's been the same since 2006.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Zuk is just lazy and slow. They did the same on the busa.99-2007 gen1 no changes just bold new graphics.2008-current same bs.

2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

I will make this bold statement, based on the experience, knowledge, expertise, and creative thinking of so many members of this Forum...If Suzuki would just take the time to look deeply into the upgrade and modifications largely suggested by members of this Forum, they could/would produce undeniably the best performance, sexiest, most powerful, and overall baddest muscle cruiser the world has even seen, which could be produced in a STANDARD edition, CHROME edition w or w/o fat tire setup, and B.O.S.S. edition w or w/out fat tire setup, to which Suzuki would/could build according to orders.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    they could/would produce undeniably the best performance, sexiest, most powerful, and overall baddest muscle cruiser the world has even seen
    Isn't that already the case?

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    which could be produced in a STANDARD edition, CHROME edition w or w/o fat tire setup, and B.O.S.S. edition w or w/out fat tire setup, to which Suzuki would/could build according to orders.
    Chain production dictates they keep variations simple, they probably would not go that way, but, some dealer installed options could be possible.

Actually, I think it's a good thing that they've kept the basic bike unchanged for so long. Remember that once a model is discontinued, they only have to keep parts in stock for it for 20 years. The longer they keep making it basically unchanged, calling it the M109R / M1800R, the further down the road that 20 years is pushed. Prior to buying my M109R in 2006, I had two bikes that were past that 20 year mark. I couldn't just walk into a local dealer and get parts for my 72 Suzuki GT750J and my 81 Honda CBX. Aftermarket goodies for my 08 B-King are abundant, but not in the states. I have to order from England or Europe any goodies I want for it. That's not the case with the M109R as of now, and I hope it stays that way for a good amount of time to come.

Having said that, I'd be sorely tempted to buy another bike that looks just like the M109R, if Suzuki would bump up the size of the motor. A 2000 cc or larger motor would surely be tempting. I mean, Harley has a 114 or 117? And a friend recently put a 124 (might have been bigger, need to ask him) S and S motor in his Harley.

I love the looks of the M109R exactly at it is. It's an eye-catching bike. Why mess with success. Suzuki looked at this site when they did the tach in the bucket mod (don't like it myself, but I digress). If you're reading this Suzuki, how about a larger motor in this beast? And bring back the chrome, not everyone is a fan of the murdered out look.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:46 AM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Isn't that already the case?

Some claim the Diavel, Rocket III, and V-Max trump the 9 in performance output, but if Suzuki upgraded the 9 to 2100-2300cc motor with low end torque to compliment it, there would be absolutely no discussion in my opinion. Moreover, I doubt any other bike manufacturer will ever design a muscle cruiser that would top the appearance of the 9, without making it look very similar to the 9.

Chain production dictates they keep variations simple, they probably would not go that way, but, some dealer installed options could be possible.
    I highly doubt they would go that way regardless, because for whatever reason, they (SUZUKI) are not putting their best foot forward. They could discontinue the M90 (not many sold anyway), continue production of the M109R (for those who may feel a 2100-2300cc bike is too much for them), and produce the “ultimate beast” in the form of an all out monster of a bike. The variations of the new bike would primarily be cosmetic, with the power train being the same on all editions, while the design of a 2-Piece Swing Arm could be used to comfortably fit a stock 240 to 300 rear tire setup. Of course, all of our comments about what could be done are just out-of-the-box thinking, but most are entirely feasible from a manufacturing perspective. It’s just so hard to believe how stubborn Suzuki has been about upgrading the 9, or designing an all new, bigger, better version of the original design for over 13 years now. Myself and many others believe they are passing on an opportunity of a lifetime by sitting on their hands for such a long period of time. With all that being said, I’m extremely happy being a 9 owner, and I can’t wait to have a 3rd M109R BEAST in my stable (hopefully) not too long from now.😊👍👍👍😁