Which risers to get?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which risers to get?

Default Which risers to get?

I want to bring the bars 2 inches closer to me and put the tach on the handlebar. Which risers can I get without blocking the speedometer? I don't want the tach in the headlight bucket so don't recommend it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Tach was never on the handlebars in any event. It was originally mounted to the risers. The Yana Shiki risers typically come with two brackets to mount the tach on the risers. If your bike is a later model with the tach in the cowl, you're going to have to get a tach housing off one of the early models if you intend to install it on the risers. Have to extend all the wiring as well, as it's likely not long enough to allow it to be mounted to two inch longer risers if it's in the cowl.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Tach was never on the handlebars in any event. It was originally mounted to the risers. The Yana Shiki risers typically come with two brackets to mount the tach on the risers. If your bike is a later model with the tach in the cowl, you're going to have to get a tach housing off one of the early models if you intend to install it on the risers. Have to extend all the wiring as well, as it's likely not long enough to allow it to be mounted to two inch longer risers if it's in the cowl.
    I already know everything you've said, but look at this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMAG0895_1559884981209.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	384088

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jdirving View Post
    I already know everything you've said, but look at this pic.
    Thats Big-Bs Bike. You should send him a PM, or trying contacting him via Facebook, and get all the particulars from him as to exactly which brand and components he used for that look and affect.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

This is TORQ's bike with the tach on the risers.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	384092

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

If that's BigB's bike, it already has two inch over risers. Look at the picture he provided. Those are Yana Shiki two inch over risers. The one inch drop risers have three holes. The two inch over have four. So OP, you want four inch over risers? No dice. Don't recall anyone made them.

In that pic, you can barely make out the fourth hole, right in front of, or underneath, that giant tachometer housing. Torq's bike has the four hole, two inch over risers as well. Below is a pic of mine with the three hole, one inch drop risers. There's very few members here that opt for the drop risers. The two inch over are the highly popular ones.

Name:	01010001_zpsbrj18yl5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	384094
    Last edited by cbxer55; 06-07-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

This is mine .
    It has the 2" Revo risers and the Revo temp/Voltmeter kit

Very Active Member

you dont have too many options.......in headlight cowl (which you said you dont want). On the risers like the Yana Shiki 2" risers (which you said you already know about). Or on top of the risers with the tach housing such as the one made by yana shiki (which some think blocks the speedo a little bit).

I appreciate the help guys. I guess I'm probably going to try it blocking the speedometer way. If I can't deal with it I'll do something different.

I just finished adding risers and moving my tach in front.

Name:	FE15D488-615B-42D4-9300-C3FEC5E8D54C_1560382124513.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	384144

About 5 weeks ago I ordered the Yana Shiki +2” chrome risers from an online retailer. When they arrived to my surprise they did not fit my m109r factory handle bars which are 1.25”. I sent them back and requested an exchange. When the 2nd set arrived, they did not fit. The clamp openings were 1.21”, too small. I sent those back. I contacted Yana Shiki directly and spoke with tech support. They were unaware of any issue. I ordered a set directly from them.
    When the 3rd set arrived again they did not fit. I sent Yana Shiki picture of measurements of my handlebars measuring 1.25”, and their riser bar clamps which measured 1.22” and 1.23.” Tech support again stated this was the first they’ve heard of these issues. I advised maybe the machining bit was nearing end of life and not making the correct diameter holes. And hopefully this only affected a few pieces. They sent me a fourth pair. They again did not fit as the clamp openings were a few thousandth to small, and this time one of the bolts would not even come out. I noticed on the previous ones the threaded bolt holes were not cleaned out after the chroming process leaving a bunch of slag inside which I cleaned out with a long thin spiral wire brush. However this bolt was so tight I figured the slag was acting like I contacted tech support who advised me wait and they would try to take a pair over to a nearby shop and try fitting them on a bike as a test. I never heard back so I called the beginning of the next week. They asked if I sent the riser back. I said no as I was advised to wait. They said send them back and they would take my pair over for a test fit.
    In the meantime I ordered another riser online that looks like a copycat for a 1/4 of the price. However the chrome is not as good and the insides of all the holes have rough machining marks. I will be sending those back. The package made it back to YS last week, and I called them on Monday and was told they were busy and would look into it.
    My money was refunded, yet no word on if they are acknowledging an issue exists. I was told someone would get back to me next Monday. Pretty ridiculous by my books.
    I have 2” blocks that stacks on to the factory riser that I will use until they get something figured out.

Odd, the one inch drop risers I got, the bars fit perfectly.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

It would be great if a few of you could take a measurement of the middle section of the handle bar and let me know what you get. A picture would be even better! Mine measures 1.255”

Name:	51D078A3-4218-4178-BC7A-D2B54F8A805D_1560822600775.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	384314

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

That measurement is correct. They are an inch and a quarter where you have your caliper and then go down to an inch on the outsides
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:21 PM.

You're dealing with Chinese made product so don't be surprised they are not exact especially from metric to standard. I have the 2" risers like yours and they are not perfect fit. I tightened the upper cap so there is no gap and then tightened the lower one and there is a small gap but you don't see it. Use your caliper and measure the inside of the handle bar mounting they have and you will see they are off. In my opinion you need that gap so you can torque them tight to hold the bars very tight
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:26 PM.

I still have my stock risers. Here is the inside measurement. As you can see it's smaller than the outside diameter of the bars to clamp properly

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Have to have a gap so it will compress and tighten properly

You'll see there is a small gap with stock or aftermarket. Torque to speck and use locktite.

If they were identical diameter there would be no clamping effect unless there was some kind of shimming between them.

Thank you for the replies with the measurements of the handlebars. I understand there needs to be a slight gap on one side between the top clamp and the riser. The issue is the diameter across the clamp opening, and the diameter of the riser opening is too small to accept the handle bar, If I tightened them to make them fit they would crush my handlebars and tear all the chrome off in the process. Here are some pics to show what I mean.

Name:	63BEAEA3-B78D-46ED-B087-EFAC5F426415_1560827301872.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	384316 Click image for larger version.

Name:	59749BD5-AE32-44F1-8A67-B0D8FD8D2078_1560827322707.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	384318 Click image for larger version.

Name:	86CA6767-2261-479B-8038-40F85B98C9D2_1560827359907.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	384320
    Last edited by Fozz109; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozz109 View Post
    Thank you for the replies with the measurements of the handlebars. I understand there needs to be a slight gap on one side between the top clamp and the riser. The issue is the diameter across the clamp opening, and the diameter of the riser opening is too small to accept the handle bar, If I tightened them to make them fit they would crush my handlebars and tear all the chrome off in the process. Here are some pics to show what I mean.

Why are they so much further out than the stock ones? They should be in the exact same spot as the stock ones. Looks like you still have the stock ones on and mounting the extended ones inside of them?

I think I'm getting it. You need to take the stock ones off and replace with the new ones in the same position

They actually replace your stock risers. There are Allen bolts under the upper Tree to take the stock risers off. Then the new ones replace that and will move outwards to the 1.25 inch part of your bars

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post

Why are they so much further out than the stock ones? They should be in the exact same spot as the stock ones. Looks like you still have the stock ones on and mounting the extended ones inside of them?
    After going through five of these I was sick of taking my riser bars off to test the next pair, so I’m just test fitting in the middle of the handlebars, which is the same diameter as the area where the factory ones clamp one. You can see that the openings of the Yana Shiki ones are being made too small. Either they are using worn bits to machine the holes or they need to bevel the edge that first contacts the handlebars.

After going through five of these I was sick of taking my riser bars off to test the next pair, so Im just test fitting in the middle of the handlebars, which is the same diameter as the area where the factory ones clamp one. You can see that the openings of the Yana Shiki ones are being made too small. Either they are using worn bits to machine the holes or they need to bevel the edge that first contacts the handlebars.
    Give me a call. 306-216-5520 that last post with pics confused me to hell

This is what I have

Here’s another picture. I have mounted them in the factory position before. I’m just test fitting it for the picture. The bolts are snug and you can see it does not fit because the clamp and riser openings are too small. The handlebars are 1.255 across the whole mid section of the handlebars and only start to taper down a couple of inches before the mirror clamps.

Name:	95135DCD-446D-4992-B5BD-8FE0B2F39CCC_1560830446399.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	384330

You can see the bar doesn’t contact the inner sides of the clamp as the clamp opening is too small. It should hug the bar the whole way around like my other clamps do.

Fozz109, you definitely have a flawed set of aftermarket risers there. Where did you purchase them from? If you haven’t already, contact MeanCycles about the ones they sell. I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue with the risers they purchased from them.

I got my one inch drops from Amazon, and didn't have any troubles with them.

Did your firend who wanted the same as mine, ever get them?
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING