Is 39000 miles to many to consider purchase?

Thread: Is 39000 miles to many to consider purchase?

Default Is 39000 miles to many to consider purchase?

Looking at a 2006 M109R for sale that has almost 39000 miles on it. Buy it or look around some more?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Check it over completely, has it been well maintained, oil seepage, test ride it (if itís possible). Some people beat these fantastic beasts to death. Mileage doesnít mean a whole lot if the beast is well taken care of. Itís an Ď06 with 39K on the clock so sheís 13 years young. So it looks like 3,000 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager I call him Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post
    Check it over completely, has it been well maintained, oil seepage, test ride it (if itís possible). Some people beat these fantastic beasts to death. Mileage doesnít mean a whole lot if the beast is well taken care of. Itís an Ď06 with 39K on the clock so sheís 13 years young. So it looks like 3,000 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just where would the oil seep be located? Under the bike or somewhere else? The bike looks good in the pictures but sometimes pictures were taken when the bike was new. It would be ideal to have the service records but I know in the real world not may people do that. Thanks for giving me any insight to what to look for and where to look for it. Thanks everybody.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Just look every place for any oil leaks. Ask if motor mounts have been changed. Ask about 2nd gear. It wouldnt stop me from buying.

2007 M109R | Smoked Tail | Debeavered | HardKandy 3" Drag Pipes| HID | Mini Turns

Quote Originally Posted by Viper109R View Post
    Just look every place for any oil leaks. Ask if motor mounts have been changed. Ask about 2nd gear. It wouldnt stop me from buying.
    What about 2nd gear? Do the M109's pop out of gear in second gear under heavy throtle? I had a 2006 Triumph Rocket that had that very same problem. Is there a problem with the motor mounts on these bikes?

I have an 06 that I've owned 13 years, now has 35,000 miles. Still has the original motor mounts and no second gear issue. So it's possible that the bike is A-OK.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Future M109R owner View Post
    What about 2nd gear? Do the M109's pop out of gear in second gear under heavy throtle? I had a 2006 Triumph Rocket that had that very same problem. Is there a problem with the motor mounts on these bikes?
    I wouldn't necessarily say that 2nd gear is a problem, but it is probably one of the weaker points on the bike. Some have had no issues, and some have had issues. Just something to be aware of. As for the motor mounts, that is something that people seem to suggest changing from stock at about the 10k mile mark. But my 07 had nearly 28k miles on it and I swapped mine. The originals were still in great shape.
    As for milage, I purchased a 2010 yamaha vmax with 37k miles. I really had reservations at first, but then I realized that this guy was meticulous about his upkeep, and very mechanical on everything. While most of them have under 20 or even 10k miles, this one was in better shape than most of those low milage ones. Just keep in mind that you need to buy it at a price that reflects the milage. I got mine for under trade in value. That is always a good start.

Personally, I would never purchase a bike with 39,000 miles on it. Thatís just my own personal outlook/standard. However, for anyone who has no issues with doing so, I highly suggest you become very educated about the bike, and itís potential problems. Make a list of very detailed questions to take with you, so you can get definitive answers and proof from the owner on each of them. You can acquire a plethora of questions to add to your list from members of this Forum.

Very Active Member

My 2012 has over 80,000 km and have no issues keeping it and talking it on a long trip, there was a guy who had a c109 near me with over 225,000 km

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Only thing I have had to do to my M109 besides oil, tires, brakes is having the fork seals fixed after one started leaking.

Things to ask or look into are the following

brake pads
    fuel filter (if never changed, might want to)
    shaft oil
    filters, is left full of oil, may be a sign it pukes
    2nd gear, not slipping
    if an 08 or before, has clutch been worked on (clutch shudder)
    Motor mounts, if not changed bottom and top back most likely need to be done
    brake fluid flush
    radiator flush

Really all depends on price and how long since it had been ridden regularly. If it has been sitting a long time then expect some issues with seals, hoses, and brakes.

Ask about motor mounts, listen for any noise in the secondary bearing (front part of the driveshaft), ask about the clutch cable, ask about any mods electrical wise like lights. A lot of people can mess up the wiring by not knowing what they are doing. Ask about the clutch. Had to change mine at about 50k.

If the bike is taken care of and hasn't been sitting then I don't have any issues with milage. Probably wouldn't pay more than $4800 to $5000 unless there are a lot of extras.

My 06 will click to 90,000 miles next week.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Personally, I would never purchase a bike with 39,000 miles on it. Thatís just my own personal outlook/standard. However, for anyone who has no issues with doing so, I highly suggest you become very educated about the bike, and itís potential problems. Make a list of very detailed questions to take with you, so you can get definitive answers and proof from the owner on each of them. You can acquire a plethora of questions to add to your list from members of this Forum.
    You have a good point, but the way a bike is maintained and stored is a very big deciding factor for me. If it has been garaged, then I feel better. If not, then I worry more about electrical parts getting moisture and such. There can also be more corrosion. In the case of my Vmax, I was more worried about it being banged on at the track or the street. But the guy actually purchased it as a gift to himself for getting clean (he was a drug user). He just used it for cruising. When he decided to get married, he wanted something a little more comfortable for himself and his bride, so he picked up a goldwing.

I certainly understand and respect everyoneís view on purchasing a used bike. Each individual is very likely going to factor in a variety of checks and balances he/she would consider...all of which would be very important. As for me, I consider EVERYTHING, before committing my money toward a purchase of a used bike. If itís not practically a perfect scenario for me, I will ALWAYS pass on the opportunity, because I donít like risking my money on poor or questionable choices. Hereís a list of my last 6 used bike purchases, and all of them were in mint condition. Also, I had all of the history and service information on each of them prior to committing to the purchase.

1. 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R: Purchased in 2004 W/Approx. 6,000 miles (now sold)
    2. 2007 Kawasaki ZX14-R: Purchased in 2008 W/Approx. 7,100 miles (now sold)
    3. 2007 Suzuki M109R: Purchased in 2009 W/Exactly 2,273 miles (still own)
    4. 2006 Suzuki M109R: Purchased in 2010 W/Exactly 2,342 miles (now sold)
    5. 2004 Honda Rune: Purchased in 2011 W/Exactly 4,370 miles (still own)
    6. 2008 Suzuki M109R: Purchased in 2012 W/Exactly 9,000 miles (still own)

My bike is an 06 and had about 31k when I bought it. It has about 34k now. I could tell it wasn't garaged at all, but I still bought it. I have been in a bad wreck with it and it still runs strong. I think you will end up working on the bike no matter what because a few unexpected things had to be fixed on my bike. If I were you I'd change all the fluids and spark plugs no matter what the seller tells you. Make sure the front forks aren't bottoming out because that alone could make you wipe out. Change the fuel filter inside the tank. The oem filter is about $51-$53. My bike would stall out and buck a little just because of that little filter. I've even had a spark plug blow up on me and burn half of my wire harness up, but after all of that the bike still runs good. I've had no problems with second gear. Some people say it is clunky. You have to kick up a little harder than normal for second gear or you will be in neutral. It started to hurt my feet, but with reinforced motorcycle boots you won't feel a thing. I don't think any of these problems had anything to do with Suzuki, I think all them were user error. The worst problem I have with the bike is how inaccurate the fuel gauge is. I've seen a 109 with 58k, but knowing what I know now I'd pass on the 39k.