Cracking the throttle a bit from idle. Sounds like it chokes a bit

Thread: Cracking the throttle a bit from idle. Sounds like it chokes a bit

Default Cracking the throttle a bit from idle. Sounds like it chokes a bit

Whatsup guys/gals, new guy here. So I know our bikes r FI so I know there can't be a choking issue. This is my first 9, n first Vtwin at that. This being said, my bike is brand new. About 40 miles on it. Had it for about a week n it rained for about a week lol. So she's been in the garage. But I notice when riding or even sitting at idle, if I crack the throttle quick rather than easing in to it, it almost sounds like she boggs down (technical term lol) before revving out like the fuel isn't there for the air coming in. But it's quick n then once RPMs raise a bit she's smooth. Now don't get me wrong it doesn't really hesitate. She revs up quick but the only thing I can relate the noise to is when you go to take off giving too much clutch n not enough gas. That clanging noise u get when she gets too low in RPMs on the border of stalling. It's never stalled on me or even felt like it was going to. If I raise RPMs a bit before cracking the throttle it's fine. Idle too low? Anything adjustable? I went to the dealer today to pick up some paper work, tech looked at it n test rode. Adjusted the clutch thinking maybe it was staying partially engaged when pulled in. Clutch feels way better n neutral to first is smoother but I'm still getting the clangy sound every now n then from idle ( don't have to be in gear or even riding) I'm going back monday to have the headlight housing swapped because it got scratched during shipping. Gonna have the tech check it out some more. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just the choppiness of a Vtwin? Any feedback is appreciated thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I'd say it's normal.

Even worst when the engine is still cold.

You can "blip" the throttle like on a inline 4 cylinder and expect the same reaction.

As you mentionned, a V-twin (a big one at that) will have a little more mass to swing around so it may need a moment to ramp up the RPM from idle.
    When I say moment, it's a fraction as you're seeing, but still a bit delayed.

Ride on!

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I'd say it's normal.

Even worst when the engine is still cold.

You can "blip" the throttle like on a inline 4 cylinder and expect the same reaction.

As you mentionned, a V-twin (a big one at that) will have a little more mass to swing around so it may need a moment to ramp up the RPM from idle.
    When I say moment, it's a fraction as you're seeing, but still a bit delayed.

Ride on!
    Thanks for the feed back. But i definitely think it's not normal. A few of my buddies ride twins n none of them have the issue no matter how abruptly u blip. N while riding today it actually "coughed" so hard it shut off as I was about to take off from the light. (Didn't stall, wasn't even in gear) Already spoke to the service guy at the dealership. Bringing it over on Monday. I almost feel like it's leaning out at low rpm, getting a good amount of popping too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkz View Post
    Thanks for the feed back. But i definitely think it's not normal. A few of my buddies ride twins n none of them have the issue no matter how abruptly u blip. N while riding today it actually "coughed" so hard it shut off as I was about to take off from the light. (Didn't stall, wasn't even in gear) Already spoke to the service guy at the dealership. Bringing it over on Monday. I almost feel like it's leaning out at low rpm, getting a good amount of popping too.
    Yep, that's gonna need some looking into!