Front Tire advice please

Thread: Front Tire advice please

Default Front Tire advice please

Hello everyone -

I know that tire choices and discussion are endless and there's a billion pages on this forum about sizes etc.. but can anyone tell me if the stock front 130/70/18 is just an odd size and i'd be better off with xxx/xx/18. Or better yet a previous discussion on the sizes of Front Tire? The reason is prices seem way over the top for stock front tires and I am hoping for at least a couple of options. Prob will stick with the standard 240 rear - which again is $$$.

Thanks

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The 130/70/18 tire is not an odd size, but it is the least expensive if youíre considering any other size 18Ē front tire for your 9. The 160/60/18 tire is considerably more expensive...especially the METZELER ME880 Marathon 160/60/18 brand. One important thing I recommend you do is get rid of those stock tires, if you havenít already. They are absolute junk.

Thanks for responding - what about downsizing to say a 120/70/18?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by marko_h View Post
    Thanks for responding - what about downsizing to say a 120/70/18?
    The 130/70/18 size tire is the perfect size tire for the stock 3.5Ē front wheel. I donít know what the affects of a 120/70/18 size tire would have on the 9, because Iíve never heard of anyone having done that yet. The 130/70/18 is already a skinny tire up front, so why would you want to go with an even skinnier tire? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that? Iím just curious to know.

Really just seemed to be more choice of a matching pair with 240Rear and 120Front from the tire shops ive been looking at. Then of course I started reading through a lot of the threads on here and bigger seems the preferred way to go..! - but i cant be arsed with moving fenders to accommodate bigger tires.

Quote Originally Posted by marko_h View Post
    Really just seemed to be more choice of a matching pair with 240Rear and 120Front from the tire shops ive been looking at. Then of course I started reading through a lot of the threads on here and bigger seems the preferred way to go..! - but i cant be arsed with moving fenders to accommodate bigger tires.
    Iím a big advocate of the 160/60/18 tire up front, and the 280 or 300/35/18 in the rear. Iíve had this setup on all three of my 9s, and I love the way the bike rides and handles with those changes in place. You do not have to modify the front fender for the 160/60/18, and you do not have to modify the rear fender up to the 280mm rear tire. Some say itís okay to install a 280mm tire on the stock 8.5Ē rear wheel, and others (including myself) think itís best to install the 280mm tire on a 10Ē wheel. Itís more a matter of preference, I guess.

300 rear -- wow...

I mean everyone who sees my bike with the stock 240 always talk about the size of the tire...

Since I posted this morning I have been reading more about the 160 for front and all contributors agree it improves smoothness of the ride - which is one gripe i have of the 9... for a bike of it size, the ride is pretty uncomfortable. This coming from an ex ducati - 748/916 owner..

I will look into this for sure when the front needs changing..!