Gotta say, pretty impressed with what Suzuki has done with this bike

Thread: Gotta say, pretty impressed with what Suzuki has done with this bike

Default Gotta say, pretty impressed with what Suzuki has done with this bike

A 9 followed me home Saturday. It's an 07, with 2100 miles. The former owner kept it immaculate-looked like it was on the showroom floor. I expected a dusty old barn find. It came with the 2-up Corbin seat and backrest, Rifle windshield, Leatherlyke bags and some mini-floorboards (I need to figure out whose).

My most recent bikes are a '12 Rocket III Roadster, a Indian Roadmaster and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. All fun-the Rocket I sold last summer and the Indian just sold last week. So-the engine... It doesn't have the raw, low-rpm grunt of the Rocket-but is pretty darned good. The Indian has the same torque rating-and comes on and pulls from about 1600rpm-but it's pretty much checked out by 4000-comfortable but not much fun and low hp. The Rocket revs higher than the Indian-but not that much (IIRC 6500rpm redline). I'm really impressed that Zook has made a 1800cc twin that is smooth and comfortable at high rpms-and pulls nicely up to it's 7500 redline. In fact, it seems less happy below 3k than above-not what I was expecting. In operation-it feels more like the KTM (1300cc V-twin with 160hp and 9500rpm redline) than any other V-twin I've been on. I was concerned to read that it turns 3200 or so at 70-was afraid it would be wound up too much for long highway touring, but that's not the case at all. Feels really relaxed and happy at 80.

Comfort is better than I had dared hope. The forward controls and mini-floorboards work for me (I'm 57 with bad knees). The foot position and seat is about as good as the Roadmaster (a big, loaded touring bike) for me. I normally ride even that one with my feet on highway pegs-while I've ordered highway pegs and crash bars for the 9, I don't "need" them, haven't been bothered by the seating position. Since rolling the bars up it's pretty comfortable, but I did order some risers. I bent the brake pedal as soon as I got it home-what was Zook thinking with that? Much better with some recontouring.

Negatives? Pretty minor IMO. The engine does seem a little "unhappy" at lower RPMs and doesn't pull as hard down low as I expected. I've been in contact with Bearing C Sparky-a flashed ECU is on the way that I hope corrects that (and really, I could live with it fine as it is). Some of our roads around here are rough and "frost heaved" (and I live on a dirt road)-the rear suspension is pretty brutal on marginal conditions. Tomorrow night's project is to adjust the rear shock and dial it down. I hope the results are noticeable. May consider a Progressive-anyone have any feedback? That's really about it for complaints for me.

Planned mods? Some gold pinstriping (bike is black). I really liked the old "Johnny Player Special" paint jobs (and yes, Burt's Trans Am). Cobra swept pipes and Ducks covers. (btw-are the Cobras obnoxiously loud? I don't want something that's going to drive me nuts on a long ride). I really miss the electronic cruise control on the Indian and KTM-might have to add one. And I do miss keyless start-never thought I'd appreciate it but it's really nice not to have to go fishing for keys after you put chaps on-or try to find an ignition in the dark. And a stereo of some sort. Maybe an upgrade to the bags-the "faux leather" doesn't fit the style of the bike-and someone in my area has Tsukayus for sale. I haven't ridden after dark, but expect some lighting upgrades. I live way out in the boonies in "whitetail central" (to say nothing of moose, elk, bears oh my). Tagged a deer (aka furbearing terrorist) with the Indian, don't wish to do that again.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

You may want to look at air ride which will give you a much better ride and not much more than a progressive shock

The Tsukayu bags are great for storage and look great in my opinion. I never wanted bags, windshield etc but comfort and convenience over ruled those plans

Where in Idaho are you? I'll be riding down through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho again this July. Love it there. Much better tight curves than Canadian mountain roads

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Where in Idaho are you? I'll be riding down through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho again this July. Love it there. Much better tight curves than Canadian mountain roads

I'm not far from Sandpoint-north Idaho. 4th of July week I'm meeting my brother by Red Lodge, riding Beartooth Pass, Highway 12, and then over to the coast for a few days. Love the area-hate the long winters! I didn't realize an air ride actually did ride better than stock-I just assumed they were to vary the ride height. Might need to research that a little more. Not interested in lowering it-if anything I'd consider rising links (or a taller cross section tire) for a little quicker turn-in and better lean angles. But really, I don't need that.

I'm 8 to 9 hours from Red lodge, one day ride. Did Beartooth last summer and loved it so much going back this year. Come out of Yellowstone to northern Idaho is amazing.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Sounds like you found a sweet deal Brian, if you would not mind sharing..... what did you end up paying for this low mileage gem?

BCS

I'm 8 to 9 hours from Red lodge, one day ride. Did Beartooth last summer and loved it so much going back this year. Come out of Yellowstone to northern Idaho is amazing.
    Have you ridden Highway 12 between Lolo and Lewiston? One of my favorite roads. Not tight and not real long distance views, but nice sweeping turns for about 100 miles, along the Clearwater river.

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Sounds like you found a sweet deal Brian, if you would not mind sharing..... what did you end up paying for this low mileage gem?

BCS
    $6k. Might have got it for a little less, but once I saw it I figured it was worth it. Will post pics soon.

The bummer? First time it has been ridden in the rain was when I rode it home.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    $6k. Might have got it for a little less, but once I saw it I figured it was worth it. Will post pics soon.

The bummer? First time it has been ridden in the rain was when I rode it home.

LOL......its gotta rain sometimes

With that low of mileage and the condition you say its in.......you did good at 6k

Nice score.

Also as to your question about Cobra Swept exhaust being obnoxiously loud.....No it is not.

It has a very nice tone that is just loud enough to make heads turn and take notice but it is no where near as loud as say the VPR, Sideburner, Dumps, Freedom Curved Radius or Cobra Drags.

I ran the Cobra Swept exhaust on my 07 for quite a while and really liked it. I had Duck's covers on my 07 as well.

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Bike.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	383944  

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    LOL......its gotta rain sometimes

With that low of mileage and the condition you say its in.......you did good at 6k

Nice score.

Also as to your question about Cobra Swept exhaust being obnoxiously loud.....No it is not.

It has a very nice tone that is just loud enough to make heads turn and take notice but it is no where near as loud as say the VPR, Sideburner, Dumps, Freedom Curved Radius or Cobra Drags.

I ran the Cobra Swept exhaust on my 07 for quite a while and really liked it. I had Duck's covers on my 07 as well.

BCS
    Glad to hear that-really like the lines of the swept. Came in a little while ago from backing the preload off on the shock. Took it for a short ride-much more tolerable. Looking forward to trying the ECU with your flash. I did an oil change yesterday, need to do coolant and flush the brakes, then get to farkling.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:57 PM.

Big shout-out to Bearing C Sparky for an ECU reflash. We communicated and I placed an order over the holiday weekend (amazing to see someone working on the weekend!). Order shipped out Monday, got it at my work this morning (Thursday), popped the new ECU in at lunch time. Simple 10 minute install. Only had time for a short ride (and in town so I really couldn't work it) but the difference was noticeable from the first time pulling away from the curb. Much smoother and easier to control starting out and very slow. Much smoother at 2000-3000 RPM in any gear (it always felt "unhappy" and a little jerky at lowish RPMs, especially in 4th and 5th). All around seems easier to ride smoothly and pulls better. Will get a chance to wring it out a little more after work. Bike is still otherwise stock, performance mods coming later this summer.

One other little observation. My last bike was an air-cooled twin (Indian). Whenever the temperature climbed, it was not a lot of fun in traffic. Our first low-80s day was yesterday-this thing is MUCH cooler and more pleasant to ride in the heat than an air-cooled bike.

Congrats on the 9! Sounds like you found a gem! And you gave me some ideas, me also at 5'7".

BCS is great! Great tune and he actually gives a **** about his customers, their rides and our community.

Len at DUCKS is another cool dude. He'll work with you on the design. I sent him some photos and ideas of what I was looking for. He let me know some limitations on my BOSS covers and sent me some ideas he sketched. Here's the finished products.
    I've been meaning to post some pics with a big shout out, but it's been crazy especially now that we are buying a house.

Take Care!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	383994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	383996

Thanks and great looking ride-love your AC cover. I know what you mean by crazy-really busy few weeks. BTW, I'm 57 years old, not 5'7"

Quote Originally Posted by V2Guido View Post
    Congrats on the 9! Sounds like you found a gem! And you gave me some ideas, me also at 5'7".

BCS is great! Great tune and he actually gives a **** about his customers, their rides and our community.

Len at DUCKS is another cool dude. He'll work with you on the design. I sent him some photos and ideas of what I was looking for. He let me know some limitations on my BOSS covers and sent me some ideas he sketched. Here's the finished products.
    I've been meaning to post some pics with a big shout out, but it's been crazy especially now that we are buying a house.

Take Care!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	383994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	383996

Thanks and great looking ride-love your AC cover. I know what you mean by crazy-really busy few weeks. BTW, I'm 57 years old, not 5'7"

57 my god man I'd be riding a scooter at that age. Oh wait, I'm the same age and just booked today riding the Hell outta Lolo with a bunch of fellow Canadians next month. If you are around we should meet up

57 my god man I'd be riding a scooter at that age. Oh wait, I'm the same age and just booked today riding the Hell outta Lolo with a bunch of fellow Canadians next month. If you are around we should meet up
    Sounds great to me-are you going to be down this way around the 4th of July? Only asking because I have a few days off. Was planning a trip with my brother but that's delayed until labor day weekend. Are you guys moteling it or camping? A meet-up sounds great.

Speaking of 57-just had a new knee put in before Christmas. Great time to be alive-glad the docs can do suspension work these days!

BTW, found out something today that made me happy (doesn't take much). The upper bracket for my Rifle windshield is in a handy position and the right size to mount RAM phone and radar detector mounts to. The other tweek was simple, an adjustment to the shift lever. Was hoping this one had a turnbuckle to adjust the shifter height. Had some issues shifting before-my size 13 boot had issues coming all the way off the shift lever between shifts.
    Last edited by IdahoRenegade; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 AM.

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I'm 50 with bad knees. I see it now. Guess I'm still delirious from dehydration.

Sounds great to me-are you going to be down this way around the 4th of July? Only asking because I have a few days off. Was planning a trip with my brother but that's delayed until labor day weekend. Are you guys moteling it or camping? A meet-up sounds great.

Speaking of 57-just had a new knee put in before Christmas. Great time to be alive-glad the docs can do suspension work these days!

BTW, found out something today that made me happy (doesn't take much). The upper bracket for my Rifle windshield is in a handy position and the right size to mount RAM phone and radar detector mounts to. The other tweek was simple, an adjustment to the shift lever. Was hoping this one had a turnbuckle to adjust the shifter height. Had some issues shifting before-my size 13 boot had issues coming all the way off the shift lever between shifts.

The roads around Lolo look great but which are the best to ride as in quality pavement and twisties?

The roads around Lolo look great but which are the best to ride as in quality pavement and twisties?
    The thing is-a lot of the most fun roads around here end up turning into dirt before you can make a loop. Great on a ADV bike, but a fair amount of out-and-back on a street bike. There are enough nice ones to be fun. Highway 14 (Grangeville to Elk City) is great as are a number of the little paved roads between Grangeville and Hwy 12. Hwy 3 and Hwy 97 up the East side of lake Coeur d'ALene is really nice. The road up the St. Joe river, especially the last 30 miles (before it turns to dirt!) is excellent. If you end up as far north as the CDA area one of my favorite rides is up the CDA river to Pritchard, over Thompson Pass to Thompson Falls, then Hwy 200 west to Sandpoint. About 250 miles IIRC. Plenty of other nice rides in N. Idaho. It's actually hard to put together modest-length loops due to the amount of unroaded areas.

The thing is-a lot of the most fun roads around here end up turning into dirt before you can make a loop. Great on a ADV bike, but a fair amount of out-and-back on a street bike. There are enough nice ones to be fun. Highway 14 (Grangeville to Elk City) is great as are a number of the little paved roads between Grangeville and Hwy 12. Hwy 3 and Hwy 97 up the East side of lake Coeur d'ALene is really nice. The road up the St. Joe river, especially the last 30 miles (before it turns to dirt!) is excellent. If you end up as far north as the CDA area one of my favorite rides is up the CDA river to Pritchard, over Thompson Pass to Thompson Falls, then Hwy 200 west to Sandpoint. About 250 miles IIRC. Plenty of other nice rides in N. Idaho. It's actually hard to put together modest-length loops due to the amount of unroaded areas.
    Where I live I grew up riding gravel/dirt roads but prefer great pavement obviously. I've wiped out as a kid on gravel/dirt many times. When I went through Yellowstone last year there was 20 some miles of construction and I was hauling ass with all the cars as I learned to ride on that crap. Passed many Harleys putting along to get through it and I was laughing at them the entire time