home depot knobs

Thread: home depot knobs

Default home depot knobs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fake choke knob key.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	383926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spare key epoxied in knob.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	383928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fake choke knob.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	383930

So I have walked away from my bike a couple of times with the key in it. Decided I would do the chrome toilet nut cap key that folks have posted before to camo the key. Did not find any chrome toilet nut caps at home depot so I walked to the hardware isle for inspiration. I saw a chrome pull knob and I thought that it would look like a choke knob instead of a key (Hide in plain site). Had to drill out the 8/32 inner insert on my drill press and then grind my spare key down to the proper length and width. I used JB weld and my spark plug socket to hold the key up and straight while the JB weld set. $1.27 for the knob so it was less expensive than chrome toilet nut caps. Happy with how it turned out figured I would share.

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Choke pull!
    That's hilarious how accurate that looks.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Choke pull!
    That's hilarious how accurate that looks.
    Well done.

And it works for the gas cap also..brilliant !!
    Stav

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

So doing this is going to prevent you from walking away leaving the key in the bike? How?

It's so common for bikes. Don't know why? Used to attend big CBX meets in Morro Bay CA. One morning, I woke up before everyone else. Was out walking the parking lot. There were something like 50 motorcycles in that lot. I counted 10 of them with the key in the ignition. Sat that way all night. JUST WOW!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I did the key mod using the end cap from a set of stock bike grips. On one of the keys that I had made, the switch would only turn if the key was in the proper position. Switch it around 180 degrees and it would not turn. I loved that. When I pulled up to a store, I would quickly switch the key 180 degrees, and that way if someone knew that was the ignition switch, they would not know why it wouldn't turn.
    Now, one of the keys to my Vmax has this huge tip to it that will not allow you to put in your pocket. That, I do not like. So I never use that key, just the second key that is normal size. I take it out whenever I leave the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    So doing this is going to prevent you from walking away leaving the key in the bike? How?

It's so common for bikes. Don't know why? Used to attend big CBX meets in Morro Bay CA. One morning, I woke up before everyone else. Was out walking the parking lot. There were something like 50 motorcycles in that lot. I counted 10 of them with the key in the ignition. Sat that way all night. JUST WOW!
    It obviously doesn’t prevent walking away without the key. It’s function is to disguise the key so that a common passerby doesn’t see a key sitting in an ignition, which anyone would recognize. Instead it looks like a choke knob pulled out so the average person may see it but won’t realize it’s actually the key. It just keeps honest people honest. If you want something that will prevent you from walking away without the key, just get a coiled tether like they use on atv’s or jet skis and improvise a bit.