M109 Rider Forums banner

New B.O.S.S. Owner!

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  BIGSTUF 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! New 2018 M109R owner in Nashville, TN. Been riding a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R for 10 years and finally decided it was time to move on from the crotch rocket scene. Plan on keeping this bike just as long, if not longer. Dad and brother ride Honda Shadow 750’s and tried REALLY hard to get me on one, but I wanted speed and muscle. Got too good of a deal to pass it up, it was a demo bike for America’s Motorsports with 1,300 miles (never owned though). New MSRP is 15k, so I walked in with a check for 10.5k and told them they could continue to let it sit there and collect dust or shake my hand and let me ride it out of there...half an hour later we were signing paperwork. Couldn’t be more happier to be here and look forward to brainstorming with you guys and guys about future mods and upgrades!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats, well played on the purchase technique, and enjoy!

As for mods, you might want to immediately consider a convenient lunch bag or backpack of some sort for all the sitting around you will be doing, waiting for your Dad and Brother to catch up to you when you ride together. M109R HP ≈ 300% x Shadow 750 HP... lol
:doorag:

#6 ·
Thanks everyone! Mods have already started...FAST! First round of freshly installed mods include Suzuki highway bars, HID headlight, and smoked LED tail light. On order is Freedom Performance exhaust, Power Commander, 2” lowering links, tidy tail kit, grips, mirrors, aftermarket turn signals, swing arm mounting bracket, and solo Viking bag. Yikes...that escalated quickly hahaha

#8 ·
Thanks everyone! Mods have already started...FAST! First round of freshly installed mods include Suzuki highway bars, HID headlight, and smoked LED tail light. On order is Freedom Performance exhaust, Power Commander, 2" lowering links, tidy tail kit, grips, mirrors, aftermarket turn signals, swing arm mounting bracket, and solo Viking bag. Yikes...that escalated quickly hahaha
LOL you got the bug already.

Maybe look at an ECU flash instead of the Power commander. It does so much more

#10 ·
It's SO a funny you mentioned this! Me and several co-workers / family members make a yearly trip to the Tail of the Dragon. This year will be my 6th trip. Unfortunately we always go on my brothers birthday weekend (June 28-30 this year), so we will miss it by a week. Will definitely keep it in mind for next year though!

#11 ·
:congrats: & :welcome: to the Family! Keep the shiny side up!

#14 ·
Swing arm mount and Viking Leather Solo Bag we’re installed tonight! More parts arriving in the next few days. Here’s a couple of shots of the highway crash bars and swing arm mount, bag, and smoked tail light...

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Mods coming together faster and faster...it’s a disease! But anyways, Kuryakyn mirrors and Raw Design Flatz LED Turn Signals are now installed. I also installed the 2” Yana Shiki Lowering Links yesterday, looks awesome! Thanks to EVERYONE who submitted information into the lowing links installation thread, that was a LIFESAVER! Exhaust and license plate bracket have arrived but will probably have to save that for my next day off.

Attachments

#18 ·
BIG day today.....got the Freedom Performance exhaust and Servo Buddy installed and man does it look and sound GREAT! Best part is NO FI LIGHT! Took approx. 30 minutes to pull the stock exhaust. The next 3 hours I spent fitting the headers and mufflers, then I pulled them back off to mount the heat shields before remounting them and tightening everything down. Projects are all done until after my trip to the Tail of the Dragon!

Attachments

#19 ·
Great work with tons of mods done in a short Time. Have a blast at MAM. Was stoked to go but The more I thought about a 2600km ride just to get there and riding through the Mid West this time of year with the the weather they get would have been a real hard grind. It's a very easy day ride for me to get to SW Montana to do BeartTooth Pass and then Wyoming and Idaho and then up through BC and Alberta

#22 ·
Had her exactly 1 month now...without further ado, here’s a look at the updated beast!

Attachments

#23 ·
The bike looks great. Regarding the Ultimate seat, they say it keeps the stock distance from the handlebars and stock height. I see the height but the ultimate seal looks so "fat" on the back does it really keep you sitting just as far from the handlebars as the stock?

#24 ·
I have compared the two seats thoroughly, sitting on each one after the other. It DOES keep you at the same distance but the lower lumber and overall padding inside the Ultimate is MUCH more comfortable and keeps you planted on the bike. As another member pointed out, it allows you to feel like your sitting "in" the bike, not "on" it. I highly recommend it

#25 · (Edited)
So the question is have you let the family ride it so they can see what they're missing and how does it compare to the Ninja? Shouldn't be too much off of it in a straight line anyway. You certainly didn't waste any time. Since you are not getting an ECU flash you should get a TRE. It will smooth out the ride unless you got the one with the timing module.

#26 ·
Brother is SUPER jealous of the ride for sure. Dad said it scared the crap out of him and didn't like the fact that it had no wind screen, but knew it was my kind of bike as soon as he twisted the throttle. I had the Ninja for 11 years and really had a blast on it early on, but the tucked riding position finally got old. I wanted something that was still plenty mean but comfortable to ride at the same time and the BOSS ticked all those boxes. The deal I got for it was the icing on the cake. As for modding it as quick as I have, I figured why not make it mine and get it the way I wanted it from the get go. I have not put the Power Commander on yet and am still weighing the options between it and an ECU flash, but that will have to wait until after my trip to The Dragon next week. Have also looked into the XTRE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.