Rear Fender Help Please

Thread: Rear Fender Help Please

Default Rear Fender Help Please

I installed 2 piece swing arm along with 10" rim with 300 tire on. When I installed the Sumo-X fender it looks like it is not setting straight. Has anyone had this issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	383862

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

When you say not sitting straight, do you mean the tire looks off center, or do you mean the fender itself is crooked/ slanted? It’s hard to tell in that pic with the bike on the kickstand

The 300 arm wouldn’t have anything to do with how the fender is sitting

Very Active Member

On a side note, where did you run your wire for the led brake light? I just installed all of this stuff yesterday, going to tackle the wiring today, was contimplating where to run the wire out of the fender. I might drill a hole, which I’m not crazy about

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapa View Post
    On a side note, where did you run your wire for the led brake light? I just installed all of this stuff yesterday, going to tackle the wiring today, was contimplating where to run the wire out of the fender. I might drill a hole, which I’m not crazy about
    Hi Bigpapa. I just ran mine along the top edge on both sides on the inside then fiberglassed over them. I found it hard to find something to hold them in place so I went with the fiberglass/mat. Before fiberglassing I used a hot glue gun to keep the wires in place then I fiberglassed. I drilled one hole to bring the wires out but you cant see it as the seat covers the hole. Then I set up a plug and play plug so when I remove the fender I can just unplug.
    Last edited by RR; 05-23-2019 at 10:29 AM.

When you say not sitting straight, do you mean the tire looks off center, or do you mean the fender itself is crooked/ slanted? It’s hard to tell in that pic with the bike on the kickstand

The 300 arm wouldn’t have anything to do with how the fender is sitting
    Just the way it is of center alot. I know the 300 tire sets of center due to its size but I thought it would not be by this much.

Thats why I’ve never gone up from my 280.. seems every mm over hangs off one side..
    Stav

Not much you can do with the left side of the swingarm. Drive shaft has to be there. Can't make it smaller. So yeah, big tires are offset. IIRC, even the 280 has a small offset due to the drive shaft. The offset is built into the Coastal Moto rims from the get-go. I'd like to go 300 next tire. but we'll see.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    I installed 2 piece swing arm along with 10" rim with 300 tire on. When I installed the Sumo-X fender it looks like it is not setting straight. Has anyone had this issue.

Name:	RR.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	383862
    RR, have you considered applying/adding some washers where the fender is secured with bolts on the side you feel is closer in order to possibly move the fender over to your liking? If it’s a problem of the fender not being centered on your rear tire, the washers/spacers may very well help resolve the issue.

Very Active Member

Mine doesn’t look to be off by much, and I used the small shim on the left side, so it’s not like I pushed it over much....maybe a mm

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Not much you can do with the left side of the swingarm. Drive shaft has to be there. Can't make it smaller. So yeah, big tires are offset. IIRC, even the 280 has a small offset due to the drive shaft. The offset is built into the Coastal Moto rims from the get-go. I'd like to go 300 next tire. but we'll see.
    I don't think they are offset. As you can see by the photo. It's the two location points where the fender bolts onto the frame that are offset. The Stock fender accommodates for this. The Sumo-x fender does not and its tight to get on and no room for washers or that to move the fender over.

Name:	RRRRR.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	383896

Very Active Member

These fenders are pretty thick, not much flex in them to even squeeze washers in there. To be more clear on my other reply, I shimmed the wheel itself over (not the fender) with the small shim that came with my arm. Probably a mm

I remember reading a post by a guy that did this set up that had a maroon m109r, the one with the fat front tire set up. He said something about machining his fender strut. I’m trying to think logically how that would help. I can’t come up with how it would.

These fenders are pretty thick, not much flex in them to even squeeze washers in there. To be more clear on my other reply, I shimmed the wheel itself over (not the fender) with the small shim that came with my arm. Probably a mm

I remember reading a post by a guy that did this set up that had a maroon m109r, the one with the fat front tire set up. He said something about machining his fender strut. I’m trying to think logically how that would help. I can’t come up with how it would.
    If he machined his fender struts this would give more space and you could move the fender over. You would then place a washers on the right side to fill the gap. But because he machined both the same it would look normal looking at it. My main issue is that I had to make my fender somewhat longer to accommodate the number plate as over in Australia it has to be on the back and seen from 20 meters and within a arcs of 45°. The fender could have been shorter but it is what it is. Having the fender longer I think it makes the issue stand out more.
    Last edited by RR; 05-25-2019 at 11:23 AM.