Sportiva vs Cyclops

Thread: Sportiva vs Cyclops

Default Sportiva vs Cyclops

I bought a Sportiva HID kit several years ago and have never installed it. I am finally getting around to installing a lot of items that I have bought but never installed, including the light kit. However, now I noticed that a lot of people are talking about the Cyclops 10.0 LED bulb Does anyone have any experience with both of these and suggest if I should just ditch the HID and get the LED instead or is the HID going to be the better light? I don't mind taking the loss on the HID if the LED is better as I only want to take off the front hood once if I can help it....

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I never used Cyclops so I can't comment on it but I've had Sportiva HID for about 7 years. No problems at all with my Sportiva, it came with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts. I'm still on the 1st set bulb and ballast, haven't needed to install the 2nd set yet.

HID is older technology vs. LED. They will have similar light output (performance) but you will get longer life out of an LED bulb (assuming both compared bulbs/hardware are of equal quality). LEDís also typically use less power which may be a factor if you have heated gear or a lot of accessories. With that said, lifespan may not be an issue if you donít ride your bike daily as even if the HID kit only gave you 4000 hours, thatís still 500 days of 8 hours in the saddle. There is also the HID ballast to hide which is larger than the comparative LED driver box. If it were me, and I only wanted to do the install once, I would go LED. However, if you have the HID in hand ready to go then you will get similar lighting performance from it. Really just have to ask yourself if itís worth $80 for slightly better performance and increased service life. If you do decide to go LED then Cyclops is a good brand and they stand behind their product. I ran one in my KTM off-road bike both play riding and racing and it never skipped a beat.