Mix n Match?

Thread: Mix n Match?

Default Mix n Match?

Do most of y'all sick with the same brand tires front and rear? I'm running a 240 Dunlop on the rear, and considering going with the Michelin Commander II on front. Are there any issues with mixing and matching tire brands? Or am I overthinking this?

Thanks
    DM

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Tires are designed by the manufacturers to work best when used as a matching set. I always run matching sets... sort of. After all, I’m currently running two rear metzelers on my 9.

That said, lost of guys mix and match both between manufacturers, between lines within the same manufacturer, and even with bias ply and radials. That is without mentioning the dark siders.

You just need to research all of your options and make the decision yourself as to what you are comfortable with.

I just got a set of Shinkos front and rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    US Army Retired
    2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (The Bat)
    2011 M109R Blue with a lot of chrome (Sally)
    I named the truck wife named the bike

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I ran 2 different series of Metzelers last 2 years. 260 rear 880 and Z8 160 front. Currently Metzeler 888 260 rear, Avon Cobra Chrome 21" 120 front. Rides great at all speeds

I wanted to go with matching 260 rear Avon but it's a new tire and the 260 Cobra Chrome wasn't available until this month and needed new rear to start the season last month
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 05-17-2019 at 09:49 PM.

To add to the debate... What if you put a bigger tire on the front and it has to be reversed?

Very Active Member

I’m about to run a 23” metzler and a 300 Avon. I wanted to match them, but I bought the front wheel with tire as a deal, and the 300 metzler is too much trouble to fit , so mIx matched it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I ran 2 different series of Metzelers last 2 years. 260 rear 880 and Z8 160 front. Currently Metzeler 888 260 rear, Avon Cobra Chrome 21" 120 front. Rides great at all speeds

I wanted to go with matching 260 rear Avon but it's a new tire and the 260 Cobra Chrome wasn't available until this month and needed new rear to start the season last month
    Isnt the 21” Chrome bias ply?

Very Active Member

now ya'll have me wondering about my tire choices. My Metzler ME880 280 actually says radial on the side of the tire. The Metzler ME888 Marathon 23" doesn't. Metzlers web site says radial for this tire, other sites say Bias ply.

For that matter, I'm finding conflicting info on the Avon Cobra Chrome 300/35 if thats bias or radial.

WTH??

Mixing brands is one thing, mixing bias ply and radial is another

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1048 View Post
    I just got a set of Shinkos front and rear

I wasn't aware Shinko made anything big enough for the M109R rear tire. I have them on my B-King and love them. Advance 00 Radials. Sticky! Feel like riding on rubber cement. Having said that, they don't appear they will last 5000 miles. But I will get them again, love how sticky they are. Confidence? I toss that King around without even thinking the tires will let go, When I picked it up the first day they were on the bike, my first thought when riding it home, WTF? Feels totally different. Feels like the tires have glue on them. LOL!!

I've mixed brands in the past with no problems. But never mix bias ply and radial.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-18-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I opted for the Shinko basically because of the money. Plus I think they are a mean and aggressive looking tire. Had a Dunlop Elite 3 on the back when I bought her and had a Bridgestone on the front. Now I have radials font and rear

US Army Retired

Very Active Member

I have been mixing brands on my bikes for years (including car tires on the rear of many of them) without any noticeable problems. Perhaps I'm simply numb.

As far as running a rear tire in the front. I've tried them mounted frontward and backward with no noticeable difference.

I opted for the Shinko basically because of the money. Plus I think they are a mean and aggressive looking tire. Had a Dunlop Elite 3 on the back when I bought her and had a Bridgestone on the front. Now I have radials font and rear

Just wondering how those Shinko's are lasting? I had to go buy a new set of tires today and was looking at the Shinko 005 but they said they wouldn't last long. Ended up going ME888 this time. I typically only get one year out of the rear anyway so it would be cheaper if the Shinko's last about the same.
    Last edited by UVATom; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:26 PM.

I have the Shinko 005s on my B-King. Put them on at 5500 miles. Almost 8500 and the rear will need replacing soon. Front is still good. Super sticky tires though. I mean, like riding on velcro. Fortunately the B-King is a lot easier to remove the rear rim and tire than the Nine. So I'll just remove the rim and take it in hen it needs another. Will be getting another Shinko 005 as I am loving ho sticky they are. Super confidence inspiring when throwing it around a set of curves.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I have the Shinko 005s on my B-King. Put them on at 5500 miles. Almost 8500 and the rear will need replacing soon. Front is still good. Super sticky tires though. I mean, like riding on velcro. Fortunately the B-King is a lot easier to remove the rear rim and tire than the Nine. So I'll just remove the rim and take it in hen it needs another. Will be getting another Shinko 005 as I am loving ho sticky they are. Super confidence inspiring when throwing it around a set of curves.
    I figured they'd be good grip but wondering how they hold up with the weight of the 9. They would be about $150 less per set so if they lasted a year like the E3 then I could go back to a 240.

I have had my Shinkos on for about 3 months. I loved them but the shop said they may not last as long as the top name brands but are a great tire. But sadly, I don’t own my “9” any longer used her as a trade in for a 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.

US Army Retired

I have had my Shinkos on for about 3 months. I loved them but the shop said they may not last as long as the top name brands but are a great tire. But sadly, I don’t own my “9” any longer used her as a trade in for a 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.

Yeah that rings a bell now. I remember the post about the trade but not the name. Well I guess I might try them next year and give full account start to finish.

I ended up with a Shinko on the front, and an Avon on the rear. I ended up with this set keeping them both radial, and sizes I wanted. I couldn't find both the same brand with those requirements.